A question about PC game registration

alanschu

Oh, one more thing, since I realized it later on.

Admittedly there's not much tangible incentive to do so, but I did think it was pretty cool that Electronic Arts gave every person that registered Ultima 9 a free remastered CD with all of the patches built right in.

Also included was a letter of apology for the state that the original game was sent in.

That was pretty neat.

**EA** did that?!?? :p Was this a long time ago, when EA was actually a development studio instead of the bloodsucking parasite of a publisher that it currently is?

Year 2000 or so.

It was Ultima 9, so it wasn't that long ago. I was definitely out of high school.

You want my info, pay me for it. I paid you for the game.

Or you could provide additional votes (on top of what you paid for) for what type of games you'd like to have made.

Edited by alanschu

I registered Planescape:Torment to get rid of the annoying registration popup, not realizing that after the third time of starting the game (Rule-Of-Three I guess), I could just type "123" in the first field and the registration popup would never appear again.

Also registered Half-Life 2 and NHL2006 ... but that's it, I believe.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I registered a game once, got a lot of spam, and haven't ever since.

I also don't mail in rebates. Rebates aren't why I pick a product to purchase, so I don't care enough to bother...either that or I'm MsMoneyBags. :thumbsup: Don't send in the registration cards for pretty much anything I buy, not just games - not only for privacy/spam potentials but also...I'm just lazy and forgetful.

It is a nice concept to be able to support the games by registering I suppose...but any giving out of my information uneccesarily isn't for me. There's enough of mine floating around out there as it is. There have been some feedback-only things I've filled out, and those are fine....but if a company wants general feedback, they don't need personal info to get it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Spam can be easily fixed with a junk hotmail account however.

I've tried that route w/yahoomail once. I always end up forgetting about it and having the account cancelled for inactivity. Never tried hotmail. These days I just make my own "junk registration" email accounts thru my webserver and when they start to send too much spam I delete them and make another.

But I still don't like to register since it makes more work for me. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You want my info, pay me for it. I paid you for the game.

Or you could provide additional votes (on top of what you paid for) for what type of games you'd like to have made.

Seriously, you're like the funniest guy on this board

Do you think they ask you what types of games you like to play for their own personal amusement?

Money talks. Those things help them better advertise to you when they make a product that matches your tastes. Thats it.

That is also true (though the only mail I had ever received to my personal address was a free updated CD). Money does talk, but perhaps the PC gamers themselves are partially to blame why something like DVD media took years to become popular in North America gaming.

Though if it was specifically for advertising, wouldn't they be more careful about verifying the information. No problems with a@a.net email addresses, as well as Shelbyville, PA 00000 addresses.

I wonder if people in Europe register their software more, or if casual gamers in North America register their software more than other people. Europe adopted DVDs much, much earlier, while casual gamers would be the ones least likely to have a DVD drive.

Because to all of us it seemed so "obvious" that DVDs have been common for years, yet we were still getting games on 4, 5, even 6 CDs.

So the consensus it that people don't bother registering because they don't want to waste the time on it, and feel as though they will receive additional spam?

I register all my stuff, if I can do so online. I will not fill out a little postcard and buy a stamp!

I don't get junk mail (except if you count alerts from Obsidian about the reported replies from you children).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

When I first bought PC games I would register but not any more. I am not one for giving out personal information.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I wil always register if they ask politely, and do not ram it down my throat. Any game that tries to oblige me to register is going to get savagely undermined, and annoys the hell out of me.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So the consensus it that people don't bother registering because they don't want to waste the time on it, and feel as though they will receive additional spam?

Mostly the latter part. I don't register any software unless forced to. If a piece of software tries to force me to do so, I will first try to find workarounds or "fixes" for it to avoid online registration. And yes, thats for legally purchased software. My windows and various security software are the only programs from top of my head that are registered in order to receive regular updates.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The only games I can recall registering are from BioWare.

I actually like participating in their surveys. Plus, it allows me to post in their forums unhindered, displays my avatar, and shows off my games list as if they were boy scout merit badges.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I register games that I really like. The ones I'd rather not admit to spending money on, not so much. As far as surveys go, I think that some companies are smart enough to realize the value of feedback, but surveys are usually too general to address specifics. If anything, the yes/no answers are fed into a database, and the freetext comments are pretty much discarded. Anyway, by the time I get to those, I just want to play the game already.

If a company really wants to know what people think or want, they're better off sifting through their forums for the constructive bits, even though it takes a thick hide and lots of time. Much depends on how the forum is run, though. If it's overrun by trolls, it's not worth it except for a good laugh.

The only games I can recall registering are from BioWare.

I actually like participating in their surveys. Plus, it allows me to post in their forums unhindered, displays my avatar, and shows off my games list as if they were boy scout merit badges.

Yeah, that is a definite bonus and incentive. :)

I also register my hardware more and more often, now, too, just to get driver updates and access to better service. If I provide my personal details, then the manufacturer has a duty to provide me with service. :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I generally answer most consumer surveys. I like the fact that my frankly bizarre tastes are therefore infecting their databases. If you ever see banana flavour peanut butter in the supermarket that's my fault.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.