Anime recommendations

Zoma

I did like FF:AC but mostly for its graphics, characters and cool (even though DBZ-ish) fights. The plot was definitely lacking but it was obvious the producers didn't want to focus on it.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Yeah, I know its work of his son. That's why I said "I've heard its not good Miyazaki the older's films".  :lol:

I totally misread that.

About that opening scene: Well, there's many meanings (out-of-the-storyline. Its quite understandable in NGE. He's all broken and ****ed up in his mind, of course he loves Asuka etc.):

A: It was Anno's critique on otaku sexuality (other such one was Rei in that movie. She was most of the time nude)

B: "That scene near the beginning of the movie was designed to make us squirm a bit; it was Anno's way of telling us that this movie was going to be in our face and and unsparing, IOW, unrestrained by the restrictions that applied to the TV series..." (can't remember who said that but its the truth)

C: And of course, storyline reasons

D: Shock it gave was also revenge for the fans (I mean those who sent death-letters etc. after episode 26)

It was just too much for me.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I've given my recommends a million times on these fora and I pretty mcuh agree with everything that's been said(NGE sucks fat veiny cancerous donkey bollocks, Bepob is marvelous, so is Hellsing Ultimate, etc), so I'm just gonna answer the thread with a picture.

post-9032-1163459131_thumb.jpg

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Since everyone else has recommended primarily older shows, I'll chime in with some newer series: Kemonozume (strange art style, but it is made of win), Mushishi, Black Lagoon, as previously mentioned, the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs (infinitely better than the original series), Eureka 7, and Noein.

Also, I would contest ramza on at least one point, but this stood out. HxH (HunterxHunter) manga is to be avoided at all costs: the mangaka had some kind of mental breakdown/series of serious illnesses and the art went to **** along with the story.

Finally, when in doubt, go with the manga. 99% of the time, it is indeed superior.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

The ones that i liked (anime only):

Series:

- Berserk (Fantasy, but without the magic. Ruthless and brutal)

- Cowboy Bebop (Future Sci-fi)

- Hellsing (If you want to see a anti-hero that is bad-ass beyond comprehension)

- HunterXHunter (Adventure)

- Escaflowne (A blend of fantasy, samurais, mechas and a little philosophy)

- Full Metal Alchemist (The initial plot seems silly, but the characters makes you hooked)

- Rurouni Kenshin (A story of a man named Kenshin, the legendary Hitikiri Battousai, who tries to find a new life in a world where the samurai-caste i abolished)

- Samurai deeper Kyo (Same as Hellsing, but the story takes place in 17th-century japan, and ofcourse with samurais)

- Samurai Champloo (Samurais again, but more of a comedy)

- Neon Genesis Evangelion (I don't really find it great, but it's a must see nevertheless. Have fun figuring out the ending though)

Some hit/or miss series:

- Naruto (Ninjas! but only the first 135 episodes, the rest are bad, really bad. Wait until the anime starts following the manga again)

- Bleach (It's about a 17 year old boy "accidently" becoming a Shinigami, a "death god" by japanese mythology, but very comical at times. The main story ends at episode 62, wait until it continues when they start to follow the manga again)

Movies:

- The Grave of Fireflies (This one can make even thoughest guy shed a tear, saddest movie of any spectrum)

- Ninja Scroll (Very mature and dark movie about, well, Ninjas!)

- Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (Very well drawn, it doesn't insult the viewer)

Some of my favourite characters:

Gatsu, Berserk

gatsu6.jpg

Alucard, Hellsing

alucard.jpg

Zakari Kenpachi, Bleach

kenpachi.jpg

//EDIT: Except for maybe Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop, never, NEVER watch an dubbed anime. 99% of the times the story and characters are destroyed because of sloppy voice-overs. Watch the originals with japanese dubs and english subtitles.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Also, I would contest ramza on at least one point, but this stood out. HxH (HunterxHunter) manga is to be avoided at all costs: the mangaka had some kind of mental breakdown/series of serious illnesses and the art went to **** along with the story.

While I agree with you, I still believe Hxh is a great manga despite its weak points. It is true that art has been on the decline for a while and that the series have been suspended due to its author's sickness. However, if you take the time to read ans actually enjoy the story up to volume 18 (if I remember correctly, that's when the Greed Island arc ends), you will realize that the author has created a very vast world with incredible features and characters. He even goes in many details about how super-powers can be used, how one has to play Greed Island. etc. This is quite a lot of work and it makes it easier for the reader to get immersed into the HxH's world.

Even the Chimera Ants arc has its subtleties. The story goes beyond the I-hit-you-you-hit-me-whoa-you-are-strong scheme that DBZ uses. The characters take their time and carefully plan their actions before the final confrontation. It's like a huge game of chess with an incredible number of unpredictable factors. I just like how things have developed so far. There is a lot of suspense...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Um, I watched around 6 episodes of Mushishi and while it was pretty as hell the lack of greater plot turned me off. Does it have greater plot or is it just random episodes tied together?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

FLCL, Evangelion, Trigun, Fushigi Yuugi, Anything by Studio Ghibli, Spriggan.

Tekkaman Blade aka Teknoman has a place in my heart as well, as it was my fist anime.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Actually Meshhugger, the current direction the Berserk story is heading into involves heavily with magic. Might be a disappointment for some especially with the Arc Berserk story is heading into now.

Following Mesh's footsteps, I'll be listing my favourite anime character as well :p

ghl-6.jpg

Top left blonde dude: Reinhard von M

Real bout High School

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.

• 1 month later...

The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya.jpg

Anyone have watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Seems to be number one anime of the moment. Discussion on "Haruhi" goes on in forums and otaku blogs about it are coming up all the time.

As of December 2006, including shows from the current season, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya maintains number one popularity in Japan according to Newtype.

This certainly deserves its attention. Animation quality is superb (as it should be in year 2006) and this anime has joined the fight between Azumanga and Excel Saga for title of funniest anime again.

I recommend.

My only complaint is music is only averege, generic soda pop. This good anime would've deserved much better. Ending theme is quite catchy though

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya follows the high school life of Haruhi Suzumiya and those who are caught up in her antics. While Haruhi is the central character to the plot, the story is told from the point of view of Kyon, one of Haruhi's classmates.

Kyon is a first year in high school who has just recently been able to leave his fantasies of espers, time travelers, and aliens behind him along with middle school. However, when he chooses to speak to one eccentric girl by the name of Haruhi Suzumiya on the first day of high school, he unwittingly sets off a chain of events which drags him into situations entirely different from the real world of which he had convinced himself he was a part. This turns his world nearly upside down as he is drawn further into a world eerily like the fantasies he had just managed to outgrow, with Haruhi Suzumiya at the center of it all.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Heh, looks like a series worth taking a look into.

I'm watching Blood+ right now. Recommended, although I believe the opposite sex might get more out of it than me. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Nerd fest?

Says guy whose nick was for long time Revan_Returns... :)"

Haruhi is awesome character, she certainly has potential to be one of the best ever. She's so mean and manipulating. This is how he blackmailed best computer from Computer Club president :)

Suzumiya%20Haruhi%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2004.jpg

Suzumiya%20Haruhi%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2007.jpg

Suzumiya%20Haruhi%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2008.jpg

edit: To make this anime's bizarre nature to be even more bizarre, episodes are shown in anachronic order. It's pretty damn confusing for many episodes, but it all makes sense in the end. I've watched it in chronological order too. It's definetly top quality anime in both ways :p

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

SW-fanboy turned War glorifier and NGE-fanboy....the ultimate battle?

kirottu said:

SW-fanboy turned War glorifier and NGE-fanboy....the ultimate battle?

It's The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny! ^_^

We still need OPG for that though ;)

Berserk... I still haven't seen what happens after Griffith becomes a demon. Assuming something does happen... probably should do a search but I doubt I would be able to get them here, cheaply.

:- What's FLCL?

Berserk still manages to engage. Gatz gets a bigger sword and some demonic armor. A huge empire invades the lands, Griffith and pals return to the earth. Pretty good stuff, but not as great as when Gatz and Griffith were mercenaries. I thought that was the most enjoyable part of the series.

Did anyone mention Slamdunk! and Vagabond? Both are manga by the same author, Takehiko Inoue . Slamdunk is a hilarious basketball manga with its dramatic moments. Its about an underdog highschool basketball team that is made up of some incredibly zany characters. One of my favorites of all time.

Vagabond is the story of Miyamoto Musashi and is very good as well. It also tells the stories of the various swordsman Musashi fought during his lifetime and also depicts the changes within Musashi as he grows and matures.

I've read Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It was during my highschool years in Korea where I read that and all 14 of Chinese Wuxia novelist Jin Yong's works. Thats one of the benefits of living in Korea. All the great works by Korean, Japanese and Chinese authors are readily accessible.

There are some awesome Korean mangas that I wish I could share with guys, except I'm not sure they come out in English. :(

Edited by Azure79

I just managed to finish watching Elfen Lied. I tried it the first time a year ago, but couldn't get past the first 5 episodes due to the pedophilia, questionable nudity, A LOT of gore and animal cruelty. After recently looking for some tips on the 'net, i noticed that Elfen Lied was always in everybody's top 5 (forums and sites) and there was almost no negative, if only superficial, critizism. Thus, i had to see it again, just to get a grasp on why such a anime get so great scores.

Now, when i finally saw it.......i need a hug :(

It was a direct top 5 for me, so tragic, so beautiful.

PSP%20Elfen%20Lied%20Red.jpg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy