NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

And? Goblins cna likely read common. And, some likely can use scrolls as well. Just because the faux name is Goblin doesn't mean it's a typical monster manual goblin. Did you read the MM, btw? Goblins can level in classes too. Gah.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Fine, DR can go play in a module where Goblins go "GRUNT GRUNT" and all attack with little handaxes. They likely don't have any tactical acumen either, so they just run at you or run away.

FUN!

A gripe. What the hell are goblins, not goblin shamans, doing casting spells? They don't have the intelligence to cast spells much less the ability to read to learn the spells.

The enemy AI needs to be improved. I battled some orcs and some of them just stood there and let me hit them a few times, killing them and they did nothing.  :crazy:

The only goblins I remember casting spells were the ones in the glowstone cave and there was a reason for them to be able to cast spells. :ermm:

I thought goblins could become shamans and witchdoctors.

Or was that 2nd edition...

2nd edition. They also had a hilariously low level cap. Gotta love 2nd ed. I've still got friends who swear by it.

If anything, goblins would be expanded in 3+

NWN runs fine on my computer, but for some reason it has issues on one of the lab computers at school/work.

THe game looks nice, but there's a stutter to the entire game.  About ever second too.  And it doesn't go away if you reduce the game to minimum details.  I wonder if it might be a dual core processor issue (which I just thought of now).  I don't know if his computer is a dual core Pentium or not, but it might be.

This is the exact problem that I have. After patch 1.03, I am now running with 6x AA (Or at least suppose that I am, it doesnt actually look much better) turned on, with the exact same frame rate as with it turned off. And whether pre or post patch, absolutely NOTHING in the settings menu has any effect on my framerate at all, with the exception of a very minor performance increase from turning down resolution.

I have a hyperthreaded PC, and I noticed yesterday that when NWN2 was minimized, it was only using about 500 mb of memory(I have 1 GB of RAM) and about 45% of the CPU. However that is most likely just because I minimized the game. Ive been meaning to experiment and see what happens while I am actually playing.

I was talking about the original Neverwinter Nights, not Neverwinter Nights 2.

A gripe. What the hell are goblins, not goblin shamans, doing casting spells? They don't have the intelligence to cast spells much less the ability to read to learn the spells.

The enemy AI needs to be improved. I battled some orcs and some of them just stood there and let me hit them a few times, killing them and they did nothing.  :crazy:

Are you perhaps anywhere near the glowstone? if so, then there is a perfectly good reason for goblin's casting spells and it's explained in the game.

Now that my computer and I reside in the same house, I've restarted the game. I'm enjoying it more for a couple of reasons. First of all, I changed the difficulty to hardcore DnD rules. I like that. It doesn't do stupid things like some of the Hardcore DnD implementations I'd seen from the NWN modders. In some of those, I thought the mods slanted far too much to the fighter crowd. Let's face it, Wizards are hampered more by a computer game environment than fighters. That's not to say that wizards are always underpowered. In some games they're overpowered and in some they're underpowered, that's the nature of the game.

Still, there is a lot of creative that a tabletop game allows with spells and spellcasters that a CRPG just can't accomodate. The same can be said of weapon use, traps, and other environmental factors, that's true. Nevertheless, the wizard loses access to creative measures using weapons, etc, while also losing the creative use of spells. This is true for all arcane spell users and almost as much to divine spellcasters.

At any rate, that rant ends up where I started. I like the Hardcore setting on NWN2 because it doesn't go out of it's way to adhere to DnD rules in terms of spellcasters while allowing fighters to carry around endless bottles of healing and whatnot. In NWN2, I really do feel like I can use a healer to take care of poison and disease. Sure, there are potions, but healers come in much more handy. I feel like a thief is useful. It's not pointless to have a thief in the party.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying the game again, although I do have a question: is it possible to initiate a conversation with someone in your party. The first time around, I let someone take me to his leader when it came up. This time, I said, "not quite yet." Well, I finished the whole area and now I can't talk to him again. Dammit.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Anyhow, I'm enjoying the game again, although I do have a question:  is it possible to initiate a conversation with someone in your party.  The first time around, I let someone take me to his leader when it came up.  This time, I said, "not quite yet."  Well, I finished the whole area and now I can't talk to him again.  Dammit.

It should be one of the options in the menu you get from right-clicking on the party member.

I don't get any options for clicking on the party member. Their portrait comes up at the top of the screen. I've been wondering why I couldn't give folks better orders. Grrr. Maybe this is one of those bugs of which I've heard.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If your context menu delay is set to the default, it'll take awhile for the context menu to display when you right-click on a character. That can make you think it's not working. You can change the context menu delay in the Options area, and with the beta patch, your change will actually be saved. (It wasn't before.)

Edited by Wistrik

Are you perhaps anywhere near the glowstone? if so, then there is a perfectly good reason for goblin's casting spells and it's explained in the game.

No in the old elf ruins in the keep. They cast spells and they are not shamans.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I spent a lot of time last night trying to create a good looking female character. Wow, talk about limited options. I thought male characters were a challenge. Some appear to be victims of failed plastic surgery. I'd be seeking lawsuits if someone messed my face up like that.

The horrid ring of pinkish red around the eyes makes some of the faces complete write-offs in my view. Do the artists use drugs and drink all night and then look into mirrors while designing models? I ended up using the last (or second to last) face. It has darker eye sockets but no pink-red shading. Also has nicer lips and a somewhat prettier cheekbone structure. It's the face right after the super ugly face toward the end of the list.

Hair is another thing. Most of the designs feature a pony tail, but with this game's ridiculous clipping issues, I wanted to avoid that ugliness. The only hairstyle that matches Elanee's (which I like) also comes with a flower accessory that can't be disabled. Go figure. (Flowers in a Warlock's hair haha.) Thus I ended up settling on a version with short hair. Oh well.

There's no body style selection, except what's provided by race. Yeah I noticed this when I first got the game, but with male characters it's not that big a deal. It'd be nice to have everything from skinny spellcasters to hulking barbarians, along with height variations. For women it'd also be nice to have various breast sizes.

My focus is on realism and the ability to accurately portray the character I have in mind. Often I try to portray myself or my friends in games, now that we have 3D models, but so far it's not possible in NWN2. I'm not going to ditch NWN2 because of this limitation, but I am disappointed. Hopefully someone in the modding community will address this issue. I don't see Obsidian doing anything about it unless they hire different modelers. (Heck, Half-Life 2's women look better in general.)

Despite the rant, I manage. While it's disappointing that I can't create a character with the appearance I want, the NPCs tend to be decent looking. (Odd how that worked out.)

Edited by Wistrik

Goblins have average intelligence and spells/magic has its own alphabet.

You can't have it both ways. :)

Drow were playable in 2nd Ed. Actually, they were playable in 1st Ed. if you had Unearthed Arcana. They've never been part of core rules, though (not even now).