NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

haha Fair enough, _oh_! :Cant's wry grin icon:

Seriously, I actually have some complaints as well. I always hate having NPCs foisted on me. That's another area that irritates me. We get a party of adventurers, which a lot of us wanted, but we can't even choose who goes into our party? That's an area where not only is NWN2 bad, but NWN1 was better. I hated the henchmen, but at least NWN didn't force me to take any of them.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I agree NWN2 has some major faults but it is best CRPG since BG2.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"Let's get back to the discussion of NWN2 and less about each other"

I'd love to. :dancing:

NWN2 is a good game; but unlike many game; the stuff it does wrong are *really* annoying ala forced npcs. It's so annoying, I cna't get into playing the OC for a second time. I just dread having Neeshka shoved down my throat for a second time.

"it is best CRPG since BG2."

Nah. Arcanum, FF12, JE, and a few otehrs are alld efinitely better. While NWN, KOTOR1, BL, and a bunch of other games challenge it as well.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So far, I like it better than KotOR 1. That was the last RPG I personally consider great. Of course, I'm a huge BG2 fan. Planescape remains my all time favorite. We'll have to see about NWN2, though. I won't make a decision on it until I'm done with my second run. Still, it's shaping up wondefully, even with the things I don't like. The big two remain resting and death.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

FF12 and JE are console games and I am not taking them in consideration since we are discussing PC games. I have to disagree about Arcanum. It was an good game but it just wasn't all that great. Better than most games but overall it is the low end of the good stuff.

NWN1 was horrid. KotOR 1 and BL are fine games but I like NWN2 better.

Oh, I love Neeshka. NEESHKA ROCKS!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

For the camera issue, I would love it if the coders put in a feature like this.

10 Goto enter cramped room

20 Crisis = can't see whats attacking me

30 if player not = singleplayer goto 40

40 no pause possible

50 dammit why doesnt the camera automatically bump past the obstruction

60 ZOMG why_oh_why

70 if death = pwned by unseen forces goto 80

80 command = HEAL ME NOOB AI

90 if NOOB AI = ZOMG they are still around the corner playing spin the fanboi goto 100

100 Ragequit

I should point out that though I also hated the forced npcs in both KOTORs as well as JE; it didn't annoy me as much as NWN2 does. I mean, the npcs joining in those games; it nearly felt natural for the most aprt 9some exemeptions) while in NWN2 it feels like Obsidian took a hammer and pounded the PC with this:"These NPCS are in your party. Deal with it!!!!".

*shrugs*

"FF12 and JE are console games and I am not taking them in consideration since we are discussing PC games."

Huh? Whwn was the discussion limited in such a way? Lame.

"NWN1 was horrid."

You played it at least 3 times, and probably more! L0LLERZ

Edited by Volourn

Why oh Why, sorry about my earlier replies to you, they were posted in a rather sleepy manner. I swear I had a better argument planned in there somewhere, but I think I misread the intentions of your posts and got lost along the way. I hope this one is better.

Oh and someone stated that NWN1 has a falling popularity, thats a very simplistic argument, of course an older game is going to be loosing popularity. However, NWN2 has only just been released, so a downward trend of popularity of a brand new game is not good news.

I agree it's not good news, however it's popularity is not sinking like a rock either.

Checking just a few minutes ago, it had gone back up a tad bit:

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/674/674385/

As of this post it's #8 in the rank of PC games:

http://www.gamestats.com/stats/gpm/20114/1.html

I doubt the serious modders will get up and leave the community. Unless someone else releases tools that allow for the creation of mods in the same style of gameplay on a modern (even though it may be sluggish) engine.

while in NWN2 it feels like Obsidian took a hammer and pounded the PC with this:"These NPCS are in your party. Deal with it!!!!".

That's one way to look at it, I choose to look at it like as a book and these are the characters in the story nothing more or less. Obviously I have no problem with linearity.

"I choose to look at it like as a book and these are the characters in the story nothing more or less."

Games aren't book. And, it doens't help that NWN2 OC's story is the worst part of the whole thing. And, the characters are the strongest but the fundamental choice part is taken away.

Edited by Volourn

"I choose to look at it like as a book and these are the characters in the story nothing more or less."

Games aren't book. And, it doens't help that NWN2 OC's story is the worst part of the whole thing. And, the characters are the strongest but the fundamental choice part is taken away.

To you maybe, but they do tell a story. And the illusion of choice in a coded game is just that an illusion.

Edited by Kelverin

A gripe. What the hell are goblins, not goblin shamans, doing casting spells? They don't have the intelligence to cast spells much less the ability to read to learn the spells.

The enemy AI needs to be improved. I battled some orcs and some of them just stood there and let me hit them a few times, killing them and they did nothing. :crazy:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.