NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

Ouchies. How far were you up to?

I hope I never have toolset saves corrupt, but alas, I've seen it happen already. :thumbsup:

Far enough that I'm not sure I'm going to start again. :thumbsup:

About the end of chapter 1... so about 1/2 way I guess. :aiee:

Ah well, I've beaten it once at least, and I bought NWN1 Platinum today, this gives me an excuse to play and finally beat the older game. :D

So... the toolset can corrupt things also? :ph34r:

Funny. I've not encountered any bugs so far :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I had a couple last night, replaying the

Assassin quest in Neverwinter, the cutscene where the blade golem jumps back into the dimensional gate doesn't trigger ... twice I got a black pre-cursor screen and then what was obviously the trigger failing, and then I was returned to my previous camera view and the fight ... with the invincible golem!

Very annoying until it worked third time.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I had a couple last night, replaying the

Assassin quest in Neverwinter, the cutscene where the blade golem jumps back into the dimensional gate doesn't trigger ... twice I got a black pre-cursor screen and then what was obviously the trigger failing, and then I was returned to my previous camera view and the fight ... with the invincible golem!

Very annoying until it worked third time.

Odd. I thought that bug was supposed to have been fixed in 1.02. ;)

Great game.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to play again for a few days.

There are little things about the game I find frustrating.  I don't like the death scheme.  I don't like the resting scheme.  I've also noticed the inaccessible doors that play so prominently in some detractors

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I just finished th e game today and enjoyed it quite a bit. I do have 3 major complaints about it though.

1. Game performance vs. the graphical detail. NWN 2 isn't the most amazing looking game. It looks like a number of games released a few years ago. Yet it slows down like some mega next gen game. If I run the game at high res I have to turn literally every special effect off or to minimum and it still lags in places. If I turn the resolution way down I can turn some effects on BUT the game will still run sluggishly in parts. What is the deal? The areas aren't that huge or amazingly detailed. The load and save times get massive later in the game too. I just can't fathom how Oblivion takes 1-2 seconds to quicksave and quickload and NWN 2 takes 30+ seconds to 'quick' save and a minute or longer to load an area you are already in. I'm hoping upcoming patches can help these problems but I'm not holding my breath. It's also irritating to see a game in 2006 with enemies that clip into the groun. No rag dolls. :mellow:

2. The inventory is horrid. The ORIGINAL Baldur's Gate had an inventory that was easier to see. The icons are tiny and hard to associate. Why couldn't a KoTOR style list have been implemented? Weight/Space limits could still have been enforced. Each item would take up a certain space percentage and it could list at the top of the screen your weight and space limit. 2006 and an awful tiny grid backpack system without even the option to auto organize. :wacko:

3. A lot of quests that remain incomplete in the list for no apparent reason. ::SPOILER::

I missed talking with a lady about her missing husband in high cliff. I later talked to her and retrieved the quest but after someone important to the completion of the quest had left.

This rendered the quest incompletable. Wouldn't it be acceptable if you had some script or some such to check if the quest is incompletable and at least inform you that the quest was botched and then delete it from the quest log? A bit more time needs to be spent making sure that quests are either always completable, or that the game informs you that you have botched the quest or that it is no longer completable. At the end of the game I had atleast 5 quests that I had completed, but had not been updated as complete, or quests I had botched yet were still haunting me in my journal.

Overall I enjoyed the game, especially building up the keep, but I wanted to get these negatives off my chest first.

Edited by metadigital

2. The inventory is horrid. The ORIGINAL Baldur's Gate had an inventory that was easier to see. The icons are tiny and hard to associate. Why couldn't a KoTOR style list have been implemented? Weight/Space limits could still have been enforced. Each item would take up a certain space percentage and it could list at the top of the screen your weight and space limit. 2006 and an awful tiny grid backpack system without even the option to auto organize.  :(

Just a quick comment here.

1. An auto-organize button, or perhaps separate pages for different types of items would be very nice and really cut down on the inventory management.

2. I absolutely hated the Kotor inventory system. It took longer to find something in that inventory than it does to find something in the NWN2 inventory. <_<

Gah :( And so my second game comes crashing to an end. :p

:aiee: Bugs that eat savegames are not fun.  :aiee:

Sounds like the "High Texture" bug where autosaving the game will crash the game, remove any autosave that existed previously and corrupt other recent saves. I've only heard about it corrupting one save apart from the autosave though (which is what happened for me). Don't know how it relates to high textures, but at least turning them off fixed it for me and most others.

Also don't know if it's been fixed in the beta patch, but that one is working like a charm for me. NWN2 with AA looks much better than NWN2 without.

(this part not a reply to Darque)

Also, I can't understand the complaint that inventory icons are tiny. I thought they were fairly large unmodded. Probably a resolution thing though, but at 1280x1024 they were fine. I have, however, added a gui mod that makes all of your inventory fit in one tab rather than four. THOSE icons are tiny. Still worth it though, I really hate the tabbed inventory.

Edited by Spider

Okay. I've installed the 1.30 beta patch.

I can finally play the game! 1024x768 resolution, medium texture, low shadows, bloom on and x4 AA. Very solid 30+ FPS. It's also not stuttering as much and it feels much more smoother. I'm getting through the initial part of the game, hopefully it won't crash when I travel on the world map.

To my absolute :joy: (w00t) :D , I've discovered that the beta patch allows me to play at my preferred high resolution (1600 x 900) with shadows, normal mapped terrain and numerous other effects on at a butter smooth frame rate. I didn't think it was possible but this is a fantastic patch! I've seen promises for years of increased frame rates from patches and graphic driver updates, but this is the first time I've seen such a massive actually noticable effect!

Before installing the beta patch, simply running the game at 1600x900 resolution with ALL effects off and low texture quality on would cause noticable slow downs. Now... just wow. I still notice a frame rate hit if I turn point-light shadows on, but even with that on it runs better than it did previously.

Between the frame rate, the addition of AA, the numerous control options added to camera turn speed and saves no longer requiring you to re-enter a name when you save over an old game this patch is friggin' awesome! I'm sorry if I sound overly excited, but it is extremly rare to see any patch or even gfx driver that offers the insane fps improvement I've seen with this patch.

Now if only the inventory menu could be streamlined a bit more. :aiee:

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

I can't install the patch. It gets to silver_sword_atk.utc or something and says the file is wrong and cancels.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg