NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

NWN1/NWN2 Top Down cam has always had the capability to look exactly like the IE isometric. There are just more options now. You could even set the camera at that angle/height then enable free cam (post patch 1.3), then use the arrow keys to pan the camera freely - so that it's exactly the same as IE. That's what I plan on doing, with occasional zoom-ins for purtiness (and steep elevations, etc).

Given I don't particularly care for doing completely random exploration, I don't miss it in NWN2.

I don't mind side quests or exploration, as long as it makes sense to do it. And the main quest absolutely cannot give the impression that there is some urgency to it. Ultima VII makes perfect sense, as you are brought in basically to learn what is troubling the land. So you're in essence encouraged to explore. Morrowind was also good for this (from what I remember), though Oblivion not so much. FF7 was goofy, because there's a big giant meteor coming towards the planet as you spend time chilling at the Golden Saucer.

Haha, I see your point alan. But for someone like me, I'm willing to sacrifice that particular sense of plot integrity / realism because I love exploration BG-style. Perhaps BG was a bit too mucho n the empty side, but still. I find that I don't mind the above nonsense as much because I'm used to it, but what I really mind is the feeling that everywhere you go, something has been elaborately scripted to await your arrival. It also makes it feel more linear if everything 'has a purpose'.

Whatever floats ze boat. :)

Given I don't particularly care for doing completely random exploration, I don't miss it in NWN2.

I don't mind side quests or exploration, as long as it makes sense to do it.  And the main quest absolutely cannot give the impression that there is some urgency to it.  Ultima VII makes perfect sense, as you are brought in basically to learn what is troubling the land.  So you're in essence encouraged to explore.  Morrowind was also good for this (from what I remember), though Oblivion not so much.  FF7 was goofy, because there's a big giant meteor coming towards the planet as you spend time chilling at the Golden Saucer.

That was what bothered me about BG2, the plot was completely urgent but if you wanted to see half the areas you had to roleplay a wandering fool or someone who just didn't give a crap about Imoen.

I've just started my third game now. Going with an armoured, butt-kicking battle cleric of Tempus. Those damn skeletons and thier slashing resistance won't foil me this time! *laughs maniacally*

Show no mercy :lol:

This was the first time that I killed the lizardlings. They wouldn't acknowledge my superior strength and tried to attack me. ^_^

By 'awesome', you of course mean 'blithin' idiot'.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You know you done a good Wizard build when you have over 30 hit points (without the shard) and can do 21 points of damage with a simple dagger +1 in a melee attack when you are only 4th level.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

ven so, BG was wonderful and still has a charm of its own, I still play it.

Oh, I love BG as much as anyone, in fact the only reason I don't play it anymore is that I practically know it by heart now. I just think the whole exploration part of it wasn't very well done or engaging. To me, the best bits about BG were the more focused, tight parts of it. That's one of the reasons why I love BG2 so much, actually. They kind of the ditched the exploration parts but made other areas a lot fuller.

I guess that, in a way, Bioware accomplished the kind of transition between BG and BG2 that Bethesda tried to do from Daggerfall to Morrowind and failed.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There are a lot of active but inactive doors in NWN2. All the doors in Ember are usable, but they're all locked, and you never enter them. One wonders why they were included at all when most of the other areas don't even bother.

Are sub-areas that much of a problem, or was that simply a part of the game that couldn't be implemented due to cuts or time constraints or whatever? Because if it's the former at the very least it's problematic from a custom content standpoint.

Don't the ambushers in Ember come out through those doors?

:lol: Spot on.

Also, someone made a comment (can't find it now: my eyes are unable to focus after hours of NwN2-play :p) about all the merchants being outside. Thank Ao they are! Try doing the bit at the end of Act I, beginning of Act II:

the run from the Sunken Flagon to Blacklake, to the farm, back to the Flagon, out to Ember and Zeeaire, and back to the Flagon, then become a squire ... my god that whole process is just seconds of running between map transitions interpersed with minutes of plot (current zone unloaded, plot loaded, played, unloaded, then the next scence loaded) ... I spent more time looking at that [expletive deleted] blue bar than moving the cursor and / or reading the dialogue and / or fighting Githyanki.

You'll agree that the less the party has to move between internal-external and map zones, the better. Much better. Remember, realism is only important if it's FUN. I don't want to be allocating mouse-clicks to cut my PC's toe nails. =]

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've just started my third game now. Going with an armoured, butt-kicking battle cleric of Tempus. Those damn skeletons and thier slashing resistance won't foil me this time! *laughs maniacally*

Show no mercy :lol:

This was the first time that I killed the lizardlings. They wouldn't acknowledge my superior strength and tried to attack me. ^_^

Silly lizards they don't know warm bloods are superior over them.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

To me, the best bits about BG were the more focused, tight parts of it.

Hrm. Actually, I liked the exploration bits just as much. If BG2 had those 'wilderness' areas in addition to everything else it had it would have given me a massive gamorgasm. Of course, BG2 is already bigger than just about any other game out there.

From someone who never had an oppotunity to play pnp that much it was really cool to come across these little encounters.

"Ah, a pack of xvarts!"

"Oooh, ooh, I know! Let's kill'em!"

"Yeah! Whoo!"

"Exp! On it!"

*ten seconds and six steps later*

"Look, more xvarts!"

"Yay!"

*when yet another pack of 6 xvarts appear*

"Whee. Yay."

"Cliiiiiiiiick"

:::exhange xvarts with hobgoblins/thieves/wolves/gibberlings/dogs/scaly rats and ad infinitum:::

BG 1 was fun, fun, FUN!

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Ctrl+Y? What did that hotkey do? Autofight?

kirottu said:

Ok, thanks.

You infinity nerds and your CLUAconsole....

kirottu said:

Great game. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play again for a few days.

There are little things about the game I find frustrating. I don't like the death scheme. I don't like the resting scheme. I've also noticed the inaccessible doors that play so prominently in some detractors

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!