Volourn's Early Final Fantasy 12 Impressions

Volourn

I'm 42 hours into FFXII.

I found my first major gripe with the game.

Spells are available in stores only. And they unlock after certain events.

For example, right now I really need Thundaga to have an easier time against a certain Esper(summon). The spell is acquired on the License board but it will only be available once a certain battle has occured in the story.

By the way, I think I'm only just past halfway through the story, just entered Stilshrine of Myriam. All the characters are Lvl 23, Vaan(main) is 24.

I like the Viera a lot so far. Hot multiclassed Monks/Druids!

I find the license board too easy to clear. It's difficult to specialize and I need to force myself to use a character only for a specific purpose even though all characters can do pretty much the same things.

Sometimes, if you want a level 3 black magic spell for example, you may need to get a level 2 green magic panel cleared so that the lvl3 BM can be available on the board. This bothered me as I wanted a pure Black Mage so what I do is I just have her cast only Black Magic spells.

Finally, as all FFs, the ways to replenish MP are few and far between, with Ether potions practically non-existant. When you consider that Quickenings and summonning empties your entire MP gauges, this is a pain in the ***. You can refill everything and cure ailments at save crystals though.

On the plus side, it's a lot of fun and it's beautiful. I thought chaining would be a bore but it's actually great because the combat system is so good and the loot quite worth the effort.

I keep my leader's gambits off and the rest on. Most of the time it works perfectly, until my healers run out of MP(see above <_< ).

The story I find more mature and complicated, probably because there is so much time needed to level up between cutscenes that I can't remember who did what and why from one movie to the next.

I Find it's the most difficult FF(since VII) but I like it enough that I don't even think about NWN2 being on store shelves. :aiee:

Edited by astr0creep

on regening mp... run in circles out side of a battle... don't know why it works but you regen at aobut 1 mp per second.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

on regening mp... run in circles out side of a battle... don't know why it works but you regen at aobut 1 mp per second.

Yup, that's what I do. All my characters are right at 20 or higher and their MP pool seems kinda small. Hope there's a way to increase this on the License board.

What about In-battle? What am I supposed to do when I take a big hit from a boss after a 10 hits Quickening chain with only 5 ethers in my inventory? :thumbsup:

There's a tech that replenishes mp but if it doesn't connect your left with 0 MP...

I guess that would be worth trying as I'm at 0 already... (w00t)

Yup, that's what I do. All my characters are right at 20 or higher and their MP pool seems kinda small. Hope there's a way to increase this on the License board.

probably is... after all they have ways to increase your health on the accessories/magic board.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I really got to play this game some more; but I'm such a D&D alcoholic,a nd now I've lent my game to my bro. Now, i gots to wait! Well.. back to NWN2... thoguh FF12 should be great fun!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well I tried the Charge tech and it works but only replenishes about 20% MP, and it fails about 2 out of 5 tries, reducing MP to 0.

I've read in a FAQ that there is a Merchant in one of the harder dungeons that sells Ethers for 222 Gil.

Oh and except for Libra and steal, I find techs somewhat useless and way too expensive to purchase. Somebody say I'm wrong please and tell me why.

What the heck is Horology used for?

• 1 month later...

An entire race of bunny women that have high heels as a racial trait.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Glad somebody thought so. The main PC has as much character as a bowl of cream of rice, and I can't justify for the life of me why he's even there, let alone why we're focusing on him. :rolleyes: He had a brother who died, and that makes him special?

Not in this game--only one NPC left standing who doesn't have an evil twin/father/cousin/auntie, and I fear for her. Or I would if I cared.

Pretty graphics and a decent battle system does not equal a good game; and if Gamespot gave this a 9, maybe they should cast 'dispel reputation' with regard to Square, and try actually playing it. Me, I prefer Dungeon Seige 1--at least it wasn't pretending.

Worst character design ever.

Unless you like furries :rolleyes:

Character design aside, this was the best RPG of '06. Hands down.

I have to heartily disagree. Final Fantasy XII has bored me and two of my associates to the point we just put it down. Whereas I beat Suikoden V and NWN 2 both without taking weeks long breaks (which I've taken several of playing through FF XII).

Edited by Tale

Worst character design ever.

Unless you like furries :-

Character design aside, this was the best RPG of '06. Hands down.

I have to heartily disagree. Final Fantasy XII has bored me and two of my associates to the point we just put it down. Whereas I beat Suikoden V and NWN 2 both without taking weeks long breaks (which I've taken several of playing through FF XII).

Obviously you didn't play the same game I did. :)

I'm only part way through NWN2 but FFXII's story is 100x better.

Edited by Setzer

On a private forum I visit, I like this quote.

"I'm probably an hour from finishing, but just can't do it. I'd rather watch reruns of Hogan Knows Best...it just bored me right out."

The thread that comes from was started because another guy just got to the desert and is immensely bored. Myself, I'm probably 3/4 of the way through and have been fighting boredom since the jungle area.

Edited by Tale