Remember FALLOUT!

Jorian Drake

It doesn't even sound like her. Not how I remember her from when I used to watch Wonder Woman. She can't even get most of the pronouncations to sound as if she actual knows how to say them. She could of have used a few rounds in the practice booth. Sad.

I think its funny that every actor pronouces daedra differently. I wonder if it was intentional to provide some seperation between the various races. Or if nobody bothered to make sure that all the voice actors were in the same boat pronounciation-wise.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You provided an example?

One small dialogue in NWN OC had more meaning, and depth, and quality than anything found in any ES game.

Mother with children who were murdered. That's all that is needed to know.

Game over in this NWN vs. Oblivion Dialogue Wars tm.

How's this constitute as an example of the dialogue? I could just say that in Oblivion, if you screw a mission up, a father loses his son. That's about as deep as you bothered to get there, Volo.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

"How's this constitute as an example of the dialogue?"

Unlike me who hasn't played Oblivion, I'd wager 99.9% of posters here have played the OC and have taken part in said dialogues. I shouldn't have to go word for word here.

Also, I never said I went deep did I? Nice try. This isn't about my depth. :thumbsup:

Like I said: "Mother with children who were murdered. That's all that is needed to know."

Agaian, that's all one needs to know to know what I mean.

Game over.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I played the campaign three of four times and I don't remember that. At all. Please, enlighten me as to the contents of that conversation.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

You know nothing about Oblivion, Magical Volo.

Oblivion allows you to uncover that one of the main figures in a certain guild is a traitor, and allows you to point that out, while these main figures are trying to determine who the traitor is, since you haven't been pointing it out enough. They go consult the guild leader at a secret lair that only they together can open up, and then whoops, the traitor kills all the others and then tries to kill you. And then you save the day, and the leader gives you a high position in the guild. Now THAT's deep.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It doesn't even sound like her.  Not how I remember her from when I used to watch Wonder Woman.  She can't even get most of the pronouncations to sound as if she actual knows how to say them.  She could of have used a few rounds in the practice booth.  Sad.

I would conclude that her heart wasn't in it. :(

I think its funny that every actor pronouces daedra differently.  I wonder if it was intentional to provide some seperation between the various races.  Or if nobody bothered to make sure that all the voice actors were in the same boat pronounciation-wise.

Never assume extra intelligence when negligence will suffice. ;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

what drags Oblivion down is the voice acting. It really detracts.

Do you mean the actual quality of the spoken words (the "acting" aspect of it) or the fact that only a coupdl voice actors do the voices for all the races.

For me, although the quality is spotty (the Nord/Orc Female voice actor is wretched, but the Imperial male voice actor is pretty good), having so few voice actors voice so many npcs really detracts from the whole voice acting aspect of the game. I don't think every single NPC needs a seperate voice actor, but to have thousands of NPCS done by 5 or 6 voice actors is a bit less than impressive.

Eh...both, really. I'm sure I missed a BUNCH of content in Oblivion, but all the dialogue really never filled me with anything other than a means to an end, like in NWN. What killed me most about the number of actors was that I can deal with having one person for every race (I suppose), but to have dark elves and wood elves sound the same and have the same 'flighty' attitudes? I mean, come on.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I prefer known good people than nobodies. Give me a game that has Jim Cummings, Jennifer Hale, Kath Soucie, Michael Dorn, Lance Henrickson and it will most likely be a game in my top list of favorites.

Being a good actor doesn't automatically make one a good VOICE actor, hence my emphasis.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The worst part of Oblivion's voice acting is the fact they used so few voice actors for so many parts.

They had a couple of well known voice actors at least.

LINDA CARTER! (w00t)

Patrick Stewart. :)

Patrick Stewart sounded like he would rather have his toenails removed with pliers than read that dialogue.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, come to think of it: I think I do prefer well-known actors doing the voice overs. Think Michael Ironside in Splinter Cell! Best voice ever.

I wonder what it would cost to get Alan Rickman do a voice in a computer game? :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Actually, come to think of it: I think I do prefer well-known actors doing the voice overs. Think Michael Ironside in Splinter Cell! Best voice ever.

I wonder what it would cost to get Alan Rickman do a voice in a computer game? :)

I don't disagree that a GOOD VOICE actor, that happens to be a GOOD ACTOR, is great. But they cost big bucks. And there ARE many Michael Ironsides-soundalikes waiting for their big chance ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Patrick Stewart ....  Emperor Uriel Septim VII (voice)

Sean Bean ....  Brother/Emperor Martin/Emperor Martin Septim (voice)

Terence Stamp ....  Mankar Camoran (voice)

Lynda Carter ....  Nord Females, Orc Females (voice)

rest of cast listed alphabetically:

Jonathan Bryce ....  Argonian Males (voice)

Ralph Cosham ....  Breton Males (voice)

Catherine Flye ....  (voice)

Gayle Jessup ....  (voice)

Wes Johnson ....  Lucien Lachance, Imperial Males, Dremora, Arena Announcer (voice)

Michael Mack ....  Redguard Males (voice)

Elisabeth Noone ....  Argonian Females (voice)

Craig Sechler ....  Dark Elf Males (voice)

I though it was a cool opening the game with Patrick Stewart. Then 15 minutes later he was dead, and I was like, Well, that was kind of much ado over nothing. :)

edit: typing in the dark :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"Please, enlighten me as to the contents of that conversation."

THE SET UP: The woman earlier asked you to find her kidnapped children. Sounds like your typical CRPG side quest, right? Wrong.

You eventually find the children. However. they. are. all. dead. and. turned. into. undead. (zombies, I think).

You return to Mommy Dearest.

THE CONVERSATION CHOICE: You get to choose whether to spare her the details of her children's plight or spill the whole beans. At this time, she can tell soemthing is wrong; and is awaiting your words.

THE AFTERMATH: This is the sad part. You either lie, and spare her feelings, or you tell the truth and the distraught mummy runs out of the inn ... right into the arms of some thugs. Not missing a beat she continues to run... and, they slaughter her.

P.S. You can, if you are quick enough, cheat the game, and kill the thugs but it doesn't really change anything.

The dialogue itself was wellw ritten and showed the woman's emotinal state, and the character's dilemma well.. unless the character is an evil sicko ...

I wish I could remember the exact words; but hey, it's been a few years. LOL

Knowing Bethesda and the ES series, I'd be SHOCKED they'd have a situation in Oblivion like this written well enough to be emotionally moving - as much as any game can be that is.

;)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.