What are you playing now?

Darque

Hahhah, that's great. I bet the necrons can just zao themselves back in shape with the right units?

actually it turns out only the vehicles do this... If the bodies are fresh a necron lord can rez everything but after a while it's impossible.

The campaign is a little stale. No real objectives in most of the maps except for demolish your opponents hq. Kinda like rise of legends without the pain of having to kill everything.

So far, my nemesis with the tau has been the IG amazingly. Primairly because the IG is also infantry based but their infantry is designed to be so much chaff so that the kasarkin or orgryn or whatever squads will be able to murder my poor fire warriors.

But the up side is that the only thing that can oppose me in the Space Marines is a dreadnaught, and that's if I haven't got the final tier of units yet. (the major letdown of the Tau is that they have trouble with a vehicles).

Eldar just can't stand up to fire warriors range/power combonation.

Chaos are just easy because the comp likes to spam cultists

Orks are a pain. Because once they bum rush you enough and get in close you get murdered. usually I take care of this by having either a Crisis unit or my commander running around with a flame thrower.

The best way to kill Tau is to get a bunch of fast infantry that are hand to hand and charge... if your fighting lone units of fire warriors it'll be easy because fire warriors have absolutly no Sight range. But if theres a pathfinder squad, or the Commander nearby your screwed because the Tau have such incredible range. Also tau bases suck for turtles because there is no such thing as a static defense... only listening posts.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've been on a bit of a GBA/DS kick and have been playing Trace Memory (just finished it in fact), Puyo Pop Fever and (the most currently playing) Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.

That game is seriously starting to piss me off. I'm trying to go through on hard mode without losing anyone, but I swear it's impossible to get through the 6th mission (1st fog of war I think) because

the enemy get's 3 good cavalry re-inforcements that spawn right behind you just as two more move in from the north. You can't kill them fast enough to prevent them getting at least one of your guys.

The tanks just aren't enough of a tank yet at that point to just soak damage. :(

If its the first fog of war one, IIRC what I did was

to cross the tree bridge you can knock down and cross over into the island that's cut off by the river. Then everything bottlenecks for awhile and you can pick the enemy off. Also having a thief or a staff character with a torch with you helps avoid running headlong into the enemy

But that wasn't on hard mode. I'd totally die on hard mode.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If its the first fog of war one, IIRC what I did was

to cross the tree bridge you can knock down and cross over into the island that's cut off by the river.  Then everything bottlenecks for awhile and you can pick the enemy off.  Also having a thief or a staff character with a torch with you helps avoid running headlong into the enemy

But that wasn't on hard mode.  I'd totally die on hard mode.

I made a mistake. It was the one with

kidnapped civilians and the spiders in the mountains. It's not one with undead.

Sorry about that. :(

Beating my housemate at NHL 07 like a drum.

You'd think it would be more satisfing pwning a smarmy, emo brat, but I'm left with an emptiness that only beating the Redwings 12-0 can fill.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Hahhah, that's great. I bet the necrons can just zao themselves back in shape with the right units?

actually it turns out only the vehicles do this... If the bodies are fresh a necron lord can rez everything but after a while it's impossible.

The campaign is a little stale. No real objectives in most of the maps except for demolish your opponents hq. Kinda like rise of legends without the pain of having to kill everything.

So far, my nemesis with the tau has been the IG amazingly. Primairly because the IG is also infantry based but their infantry is designed to be so much chaff so that the kasarkin or orgryn or whatever squads will be able to murder my poor fire warriors.

But the up side is that the only thing that can oppose me in the Space Marines is a dreadnaught, and that's if I haven't got the final tier of units yet. (the major letdown of the Tau is that they have trouble with a vehicles).

Eldar just can't stand up to fire warriors range/power combonation.

Chaos are just easy because the comp likes to spam cultists

Orks are a pain. Because once they bum rush you enough and get in close you get murdered. usually I take care of this by having either a Crisis unit or my commander running around with a flame thrower.

The best way to kill Tau is to get a bunch of fast infantry that are hand to hand and charge... if your fighting lone units of fire warriors it'll be easy because fire warriors have absolutly no Sight range. But if theres a pathfinder squad, or the Commander nearby your screwed because the Tau have such incredible range. Also tau bases suck for turtles because there is no such thing as a static defense... only listening posts.

The fighting tactics against Tau are a given, since close combat is their "racial" lack, so to say. In the demo the kroot couldn't really outfigth anything and so you had to rely on long range, kroot teams would just suicide themselves on the higher tier Astartes. well, kroot hounds were okay, but you couldn't train much of them and the got tied up fast. Everything else sounds pretty good.

I'm curious about IG however, I've never personally played as them, but the idea I've gotten from other players is that they are basically relying in entrenchments and tracked heavy armor. Yet you comment on their high constitution, if I understood correctly, so how are they supposed to be played in DoW? In the demo you could turtle really effectively and build a battleline through the levels, but entrenchment is not really modelled to the game.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Sorry about that. :(

Oh yeah, that one was hard even on normal mode.

IIRC what I did was send Franz and Seth and the Pegasus Knight out to get the trio and use Ross and his dad to protect from the attacks while trying to keep away from them as much as possible.

. But whether that works on hard mode or not...NO CLUE!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sorry about that. :p

Oh yeah, that one was hard even on normal mode.

IIRC what I did was send Franz and Seth and the Pegasus Knight out to get the trio and use Ross and his dad to protect from the attacks while trying to keep away from them as much as possible.

. But whether that works on hard mode or not...NO CLUE!

I didn't have nearly as much trouble on normal as I am having on hard.

I was moving everyone forward a little to get some cover with the trees while the pegasus knight (with a torch) moved to rescue the trio. Unfortunately I have yet to be able to have everyone survive being attacked by the three re-inforcements as they like to concentrate their attacks on a single unit. The general is next to useless. Even if he only takes half damage per hit, he is slow enough that they get to make an extra hit anyway. Each one of them has a good 27 HP and it is difficult to whittle that down fast enough.

Anyway, I'm currently playing Laser Squad Nemesis where I did a very stupid thing.

post-3491-1160674638_thumb.jpg

post-3491-1160674656_thumb.jpg

From the pictures, it could be that either you self-detonated or were hit by fire from the tank? Which is it? Also, there seems to be a rewind to last move function, so it might be wise to take advantage of it.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

From the pictures, it could be that either you self-detonated or were hit by fire from the tank? Which is it? Also, there seems to be a rewind to last move function, so it might be wise to take advantage of it.

I just got hit by that missle tank in the bottom corner. The next couple shots it fires takes out the two injured troops right beside the explosion and two of the group of five above them. Another one get's shot in the back as he attempts to retreat. One soldier and the medic managed to get away.

The rewind to last move only allows you to watch what happened. It doesn't allow you to go back and issue different orders. :p

The fighting tactics against Tau are a given, since close combat is their "racial" lack, so to say. In the demo the kroot couldn't really outfigth anything and so you had to rely on long range, kroot teams would just suicide themselves on the higher tier Astartes. well, kroot hounds were okay, but you couldn't train much of them and the got tied up fast. Everything else sounds pretty good.

I'm curious about IG however, I've never personally played as them, but the idea I've gotten from other players is that they are basically relying in entrenchments and tracked heavy armor. Yet you comment on their high constitution, if I understood correctly, so how are they supposed to be played in DoW? In the demo you could turtle really effectively and build a battleline through the levels, but entrenchment is not really modelled to the game.

Actually Kroots can be effective if you give them a shaper and their leap (this is the basic kroot team) because the shaper boosts their speed and health and the leap knocks down their opponent. Generally I only use kroots to disrupt the enemy infantry.

As to the IG, they are good entrenchers (as their buildings can hold infantry) but when attacking I usually use Armor with a small heap of Basic Guardsmen and a few Kasarkin squadrons. The guardsmen are cheap and plentiful, so I use them as chaff to distract my opponent from attacking my better infantry attackers. Plus when fighting other infantry Guards get Grenade launchers that do splash and also knock down anything near the point of impact. Also the Ig's command squad is an excellent troupe to have.

Ogryns are just tough little sods with very nice melee... I practically never use them.

The Ig are a horror to fight with the tau, not so much because of their constitution but because there is just so many of them (think the orks green tide aussalts... but with ranged squads that also have a commander), and the fact that either the priest or the psyker (I think its the latter) can INSTANTLY break your morale.

Instant demoralement? Isn't that a bit overpowered? I mean, sure Tau has an overpowering range, but they are offset by the lack of melee and the need for spotters. There's practically no offsets to instant demoralement. It could actually be the one ultimate ability in the game.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Instant demoralement? Isn't that a bit overpowered? I mean, sure Tau has an overpowering range, but they are offset by the lack of melee and the need for spotters. There's practically no offsets to instant demoralement. It could actually be the one ultimate ability in the game.

figured out what it was... it was the state sanctioned psykers lightning arcs. they had two in the party and one lightning arc demoralizes any squad pretty easily.

Finished my Tau game. As I suspected the IG posed the most difficulty. Tried a Necron game but found that the lack of voices and pace of the Necrons didn't appeal to me (the necrons rely entirly on power. which certainly isn't plentiful) so I swapped to IG.

Found somthing interesting in fighting the Necrons with the IG... the IG SUCK at the beginning against necrons (well... anything really but they can hardly kill necrons) Once you get a hellhound you do better because of the fact that it demoralizes the opponent. But my entire IG strategy for the entire game is turtle until I have a baneblade then go to town. (for those who don't know the baneblade is a tank with 11 barrels of doom death and destruction).

I think Necrons are going to be my nemesis this campaign but it might actually be the tau due to my heavy reliance (as a player) on infantry to get my job done.

I think its interesting that out of all your opponents in the game. Only two actually don't blow up their stronghold. these two are the Eldar and the Chaos. otherwise when you beat the stronghold they decide to try and take you with them. (marines orbital bombard, Orks just activate a hydrogen bomb, IG blow up somthing thats a bit of a spoiler, and Necrons are one heck of a spoiler.)

I cried because they added caps to the number of Kasarkin squads and Ogryns you can have (one of each) when my old strat was hold the line... get all Kasarkins and some Leemuns and kick butt!

Edited by Calax

It's a variant of RTS-lingo in this case, we use a lot of colloquialism like "turtle"(to stay on the defensive and upgrade), but WH-speak is nothing special. It's just that if you are not in the know with the world and lore, alot of terms will of course escape you.

kirottu said:

Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday is awesome :(

And some Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Phoenix Wright on the side.

Also replaying KOTOR2.

And a long batch of wargames to go through, that should last me a few years.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Still playing Neverwinter Nights. Just bought Kingmaker to see how that mod and Shadow Guard are.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester