EA for the win

LostStraw

From the article: http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13680

The agreement covers up to four "select" EA titles, which will be integrated into Massive's Video Game Network. The first title to utilize Massive's dynamic in-game advertising will be the upcoming Need for Speed Carbon. Gamers "will see both static and dynamic brand presence integrated into the game environments, across the platforms and across the geographies where they play."

It's racing, ads are to be expected like in real life -- right? This anouncement didn't bug me too much as it most likely wouldn't break the imersion of the game. Most other racing games I've played also contain ads, so it wasn't much of a surprise to read about.

But then I read this...

In EA's other deal with IGA Worldwide, the publisher will make "select EA franchises" available for integration into IGA's in-game ad network

EA has already proven more than ever that they aren't making games.

They're a big company that are manufacturing products, which should sell to the right demographic group, researched by marketers, based of trends of a segmented share of people, who have the highest amount of money to spend, to fit the excel-based diagram that the board shows for its share-holders.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I agree with the ads in the racing game. I can see those working well without being too distracting. However there are very few games that I think would work well with modern product advertising. I mean Drink Coke! Official drink of the 22nd century military! just wouldn't work well. :(

My first reaction to ads in BF2142 was outrage but I guess I could handle it as long as it was done with a minimum of fuss...like maybe in a loading screen or at the bottom of a server list.

It would be totally unacceptable if I was trying to fight a future war set over 100 years in the future while Axe deodorant or Athlon64 commercials (ala Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory) were plastered on every billboard or computer monitor.

I'm prepared to take a "wait and see" attitude.

EA has already proven more than ever that they aren't making games.

They're a big company that are manufacturing products, which should sell to the right demographic group, researched by marketers, based of trends of a  segmented share of people, who have the highest amount of money to spend, to fit the excel-based diagram that the board shows for its share-holders.

And that's incompatible with making games how exactly?

I hate EA.
Say it ain't so! :o

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

They're a big company that are manufacturing products, which should sell to the right demographic group, researched by marketers, based of trends of a  segmented share of people, who have the highest amount of money to spend, to fit the excel-based diagram that the board shows for its share-holders.

That's the basics of what all companies should do.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

i think it's a step forward to be honest, i work in the advertising industry and games have been an unappreciated media for too long. as long as it's done in good taste and doesnt break the immersion, i'm all for it. it just means more money to the developers.

of course theres always the risk of companies getting to decide how they want their products to be used in the games, thus affecting the outcome and possibly ruining a game.

I wouldn't mind it in racing games or games that depect a modern day setting but I wouldn't want to see a Coke can in a fantasy CRPG.

if it was a small add in the menu? or the game box?

advertising is a huge business, and i think that smaller developers could sell advertising space from their games and make more money that way.

No freaking way. If it makes sense in the game then fine but pulling crap like that would basically kill the sale fore me. I don't need or want to see the Coke or Pepsi logo on the box art or menu in any fantasy or far future game that I play.

I like my advertising, for the most part, out of the way and not be bothersome. If it makes sense in a modern setting, then its not a problem. Anywhere else would be a major problem. Personally I hate the fact more and more advertising is creeping into my life. In the papers I read, the websites I visit, and so forth. If I want to know about a product I would look to do so on my own terms and not someone elses.

Most advertising is just downright stupid to the point I don't even want to have anything to do with the media that it advertised on. That is why I simply do not watch television any more. I watch DVDs that I buy at the store and rip them onto my computer. No commercials and no annoyances.

Edited by Judge Hades