Do you want a new combat system?

Do you want a new combat system  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a new combat system

• Yes
    • No

Find the present way of determining combat outcomes ok.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

The combat is OK at best. I wish they would allow for more freedom in combat that is all. The current system doesn't allow for much real time strategy (you engage everyone the same whether they have ranged weapons or not) and what are supposed to be epic lightsaber duels are really only slow unimpressive restricitve by turns kiddy jousts.

A new system would allow for the environment to play a part in defense against ranged fire, offense through lifting and throwing objects with the force etc etc I can't believe they went for the bear minimum with this D&D set up in the 1st place. I blame Bioware for not trying to establish a star wars identity with the combat, D20 is an easier way to handle the combat but not necessarily the better way.

Not like the PS3 would be any better than the first 2 besides it would blow up.

The option to assign to buttons for most often used powers would be alright,but the first 2 did not have them so why would you need it?

I like the current combat system,D20 adds a feeling of luck and not just button mashing,what some call skill. :wub:

Fable's system seemed practical,for the Xbox.

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

I like the old/current system just fine. Using pause to make attack choices mid-battle has never bothered me.

I wouldn't mind the physics/ability to push things back or lift things to create obstacle puzzles or quests, but I don't think it should be a use-anytime skill. Maybe if it had a very long timer/fatigue recharge on it or whatever. The movie Jedi don't seem to use it all that much beyond tiny pushes to gain fighting room or push door buttons, and even then not very often. Maybe too much of a fatigue drain, plus takes too long to do anything major; a guy with a saber would cut you down while you're still grunting & waving your arms around with your eyes closed whilst trying to move that giant something with your mind. :wub:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I hope the combat system remains the same. If they make the combat realtime, they may as well call the game Jedi Knight 4: the Prequel :lol:

I agree with the physics things that LadyCrimson said above, and maybe using some force powers from JK series like Dark Rage, but d20 must remain, otherwise it just wont be KotOR.

Edited by aerowars617

aerowars has the point here :lol:

Actually lightsaber battles are quite spectacular if it last enough. Putting flurrys, attacks, power attacks, critical hits makes it quite cool looking. This is in k1, when average Dark Jedi can survive in one to one combat 2-5 rounds normally. In k2, enemies die in one round, not good at all <_<

Fights were better in k1, even though there were less animations

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Agreed the lightsaber duels are quite good with all the sparks flying off, and if they last long enough against a fairly decent enemy.

But I believe it needs a physics engine, like Source or something more cinematics is desperately needed, most enemies die the same and the whole cinematics is pretty cheap

maybe more freedom in it would be good

Guest The Architect

I'm not fussed either way if they change the combat system or not in KOTOR III (if they are going to make KOTOR III that is). It's the plot and characters that I'm more concerned about, that should be what the devs focus on for KOTOR III (assuming it will be made, that is)...

A combat system similar to that in Ninja Gaiden would be cool. Though, it would require some modifications for an RPG. The actions could to be allocated into broader sets that would then allow them to be broken down or differentiated by holding down a specific direction on the D-Pad after selecting the desired action upon the opponent. This would allow for more Combat Feat variations, such as Flurry and Critical Strike. It could also allow devastating Force-enhanced variations for specific Combat Feats. For example, a Jedi could use Jedi Power Stike, in which the Jedi jumps, fleeting high into the air above the opponent, then descends at comet-like speed to cut the enemy down with extreme force.

Example: Press 'A' Button, then press and hold a direction on the D-Pad.

Well atleast its better then the FF combat system, the last FF I played was 8, so they might have changed it. But I didnt like how everytime you came across an enemy it went to a different scene, a special 'arena' sort of place where you had to fight them, I like how ni kotor, you fight them then and there hopefully if they do change it they dont screw around with it to peoples dislike and still keep it user friendly

Leave it alone or change it, it makes no real difference as long as the mechanics are intuitive, non-intrusive, and flexible enough to accommodate different playing styles. Combat is useful for character leveling and for breaking up large chunks of exposition; and it is a part of the storyline, since this is a time of war. But it is not a substitute for content. Just please no 'arcade-type' sneaking/button-mashing/jumping/simon-says puzzles before you can progress in the game (as many recent 'adventure' games have done). No skill is involved in knee-jerk reaction or memorization, and unless they're skippable especially on replay, they detract from the game.

(And just finish the story with the established characters--there are plenty, and a great many loose ends to tie up as it is. Please--I would buy Jolee (does anyone know where he went or what task Revan gave him?), but Revan and Exile deserve better than a newb padawan coming out of obscurity to save the galaxy. Like that's new.)

Current system for Kotor also involves how powers like Force immunity reduces likeliness of being affected by offensive force powers. Can't think of any other universal force powers that decreases unsuccessful saves in deflecting effect from enemy force powers. Example would be Stasis Field, but some like Plague might still achieve effect on party characters.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

朱宣澧

I think Obsidian will use a fully realtime game system + a new gaming engine. And rumors on the net tell that Obsidian is producing an RPG sequel for PS3, XBox360 and PC for 2007 with Sega... hope it's K3.

Like Force Breach, as it is a bit like a force power that dispels buffing powers. Don't think that it uses combat system for success of effect.

Deep from within...

朱宣澧

Jedi Watchman already has it

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)