BREAKING NEWS: EA ACQUIRES MYTHIC ENTERTAINMENT

Llyranor

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 20, 2006--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Virginia-based Mythic Entertainment

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I have to agree with Hades.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I too liked Origin.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm not sure, EA has been forced to change recently because they were clearly going stagnant. There is a chance that they will allow Mythic to develop the game they want to, and just provide the funding. It would seem like common sense, given the fact that DAoC managed to compete with much bigger competitors.

Still, it's more likely this is the end of Mythic. But I'll hold on to a bit of hope.

In two or three or whatever years time, I'll be adding a newsbit to RPGDot that reads "EA closes Mythic studio, handful of staff offered positions at Redmond".

And then "Ex-Mythic staffers found new indepedent studio".

'Tis the cycle of massive modern development.

There are already two active MMO's for every CRPG ever released, so if we get or dont get another one... who cares?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That, noone knows.

( although one could suspect the interest over NWN2 is much higher than any single MMO released in the last months, simply because the MMO market is oversaturated )

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That, noone knows.

I'm sure someone has an idea.

( although one could suspect the interest over NWN2 is much higher than any single MMO released in the last months, simply because the MMO market is oversaturated )

Is it? What MMOs have been released in the last few months?

That, noone knows.

This simply illustrates your disconnect with the actual gaming community.

MMO games are growing, for the most part. The market cannot be over saturated when you have so many people trying to play WoW that they're having to wait in line.

I think the phenomenon is called "wishful thinking".

Just like those hordes of rabid fans that think the Infinity Engine would be good for another modern game, that Planescape: Torment was the peak of cRPG's and the ones believing that isometric views is not a step backwards.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

In a way its wishful thinking. Still, MMO's are really a genre of their own that doesnt compete on the same level as normal games. Some people might say that MMO's signify the death of single/multi-player CRPGs but I think thats alot like saying football wil be the end of hockey.

Subscriptions_21524_image001.gif

but MMO's are doing well

Subscriptions_12473_image001.gif

and WoW is the king