SUPERMAN RETURNS!

Calax

yes... I made X3 (oh mah sweet jesus) now it's time for Superman!

discuss...

I like what little I've seen of it. I hope that it actually has a superfight rather than just running around trying to stop what madman number 6 did.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

yes... I made X3 (oh mah sweet jesus) now it's time for Superman!

discuss...

I like what little I've seen of it. I hope that it actually has a superfight rather than just running around trying to stop what madman number 6 did.

is there any other villain besides Luthor? If not, you'll probably be disappointed.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I have mixed feelings about Superman. I'll undoubtedly see the movie, but I'm curious what the thought process was behind making someone that is pretty much invincible, and slowly making him more and more powerful as things go on.

I guess his "weakspot" (aside from kryptonite) is his compassion for humanity. But it makes for a rather bland character IMO. I much prefer the other DC hero, Batman, who is a conflicted soul which makes things a bit more interesting IMO>

Bleh, conflicted souls dark characters and all that have become overused in comics today. I think its time for a return to flawless heroes.

So far the only reservation I have about this film is that they've gone for the comedy Lex of the old films instead of the billionaire tyrant in the comics and various tv series sicne the 1980's

...also I hope there is no reference to global terror and 9/11 >_<

Edited by Surreptishus

I don't really have a problem with "flawless" in that they are uber-good intentioned and all that jazz.

But man, it seemed like midway through his life, they figured he just wasn't powerful enough!

But there's kryptonite!!! and his... compassion!

Yeah ok he is super powerful. That is in keeping with the messianic theme, what with Marlon Brando sending his only begotten son to watch over humans.

As long as the villains are super powered I guess its ok.

I never thought I'd say this, but everything about this movie except the Joker-like quality of Spacey's Luthor looks boring. I mean really boring. The trailer made me feel like I had been watching it for an hour or something.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I have mixed feelings about Superman.  I'll undoubtedly see the movie, but I'm curious what the thought process was behind making someone that is pretty much invincible, and slowly making him more and more powerful as things go on.

I guess his "weakspot" (aside from kryptonite) is his compassion for humanity.  But it makes for a rather bland character IMO.  I much prefer the other DC hero, Batman, who is a conflicted soul which makes things a bit more interesting IMO>

The John Byrne version is a lot more limited than the Golden/Silver Age version. Byrne's Superman (which has been the standard since '86, though DC may be taking him back to his Silver Age power levels now) can't fly in space without air, can't move planets, doesn't have a Super Brain (though they brought back Super Memory this month, grrr), and actually died back in '92 or '93. I much prefer Byrne's version (and, I'll admit it, I liked Superman Blue, too; Superman Blue was when Superman's powers were altered and he became an energy-based being).

Unfortunately, as the Brando/Reeve/Hackman Superman was before the Byrne rewrite, and Superman Returns continues the story after Superman II, we'll likely see that god-like Kal-El (or, more properly, Kal-L, the Earth-Two and Golden/Silver Age Superman) in SMR.

Edited by deganawida

C'mon, Gene Hackman was an awesome Luthor.

Anyway, one thing I'd like to see would be a Superman that's a self-righteous prick who actually feels pity for the puny humans.

Edited by Soulseeker

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I have mixed feelings about Superman.  I'll undoubtedly see the movie, but I'm curious what the thought process was behind making someone that is pretty much invincible, and slowly making him more and more powerful as things go on.

I guess his "weakspot" (aside from kryptonite) is his compassion for humanity.  But it makes for a rather bland character IMO.  I much prefer the other DC hero, Batman, who is a conflicted soul which makes things a bit more interesting IMO>

Have you seen the Superman animated series? Or Justice League? Its annoying how weak he is in those series. He gets taken out by missiles, or knocked down by gunfire. Its just silly. Sure he can't be all powerful, but don't make him so weak he's vulnerable to simple gunfire.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

he's actually got a vulnerability to magic too... that means that any hero who uses magic as a basis for their powers (looks at Cap Marvel) he usually goes down pretty fast against.

Yeah... they are reintroducing alot of precrisis stuff back into continuity

Superman's power level is going nuts again, Supergirl is back, Zod

Its Zod!  Its Zod!

He's over dramatic!

He's completely psychotic!

Its Zod!  The wonderful ZOD!

well in comic continuity he's one of three people superman has actually killed. then he came back and broke supes jaw.

• 2 weeks later...