Age of Decadence

Eh, with a grifter background the town opens up p. quickly. It is jarring to be teleported around though, and I have to say that some of my concerns seeing the feedback on the ITS forums turned out to be true, there are a lot of points when there is only a choice available and I feel like the way I play has already been decided due to my build.

I was expecting a "spiritual successor" to Fallout, but the high-level design feels significantly different despite some similarities. Overall I'd say I like Fallout's better, though Age of Decadence seems like a fine RPG with some well thought-out mechanics, serviceable writing, interesting lore, etc. You can definitely feel that it was the product of a small team working on it in their free time, lots of usability issues and puzzling choices with the interface and controls here and there. Then again, bigger professional teams have produced worse results, so I can't complain.

If people have trouble with the combat, I recommend reading this little post for some good tips: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2497.0.html

It doesn't really feel like any other game I can think of. In comparison with Fallout, it has a *lot* more options in just how to solve things (more than any game I can think of). But the sorta of "casual" gameplay, walking around, exploring and stuff like that is very downplayed in AoD. That will turn a lot of people off from the game, especially if you're not a fan or don't get excited by the prospects of text-adventures or the turn-based combat

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Trailer for those wondering what kind of game this is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JSV1ei6OjY&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

oooh, past the 500-post mark :o

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Almost done with my second playthrough (technically already done, but I want to actually go through another route rather than the opportunistic one) with an Assassin character. It's true that it's kinda clunky with some UI consistency issues, etc. and there's still some work to be done on the usability front (but it's much much much better than the combat demo already), but man, the content is top-notch. Great branching story with tons of opportunities to solve different situations, different viewpoints, and great C&C.

Beat Assassin, Loremaster, now trying Mercenary with high block and hammer. Feel like I could actually take out the Raider Camp on my own with just that little extra. What I'm trying to do is go in there with a big tower shield and 50 block, which means 95% of the three bowmen's attacks are blocked, and get into a corner where I'm fighting the melee dudes one at a time. Alas, the axemen keep splitting my shields when it's their turn, wasting precious time, and no matter how impregnable you are 7 enemies is a lot to take down with 4 CON and 35 HP.

Actually, that's the thing with AOD battles - they're really hard, but after a while you can see that you'd only need a little more to tip the balance over numbers-wise. The dodge assassin got a massive break when I discovered the power of two-handers, for instance. We'll see... there are also a few abilities I haven't really explored, like Traps, and it seems some skill use options only come up when you have sufficient skill, so I wouldn't know about them?

Is the demo you guys are talking about the public beta?

Yeah. They could have used being a little more clear communicating, but essentially the public beta uses the demo content. Later on (before release?) they'll have the polished up demo.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

There's at least one instance where traps can make a big difference (see below), and I've heard of a couple others.

When you work for the thieves and you're ambushing the cart, with high traps, I think 35+, you can blow up explosives getting rid of most of them. The fight otherwise can be pretty challenging for non-combat oriented characters.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2584.0.html

AOD preorders are up for $25, other info on link. Looks like this is the season for paying up front.

http://www.irontower...pic,2584.0.html

AOD preorders are up for $25, other info on link. Looks like this is the season for paying up front.

...or the season where people decided to pay for the experience they prefer rather than what gets offered in bulk quantities?

I've been looking forward to this game for a while, so I better put my money where my mouth is here too :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Almost done with my second playthrough (technically already done, but I want to actually go through another route rather than the opportunistic one) with an Assassin character. It's true that it's kinda clunky with some UI consistency issues, etc. and there's still some work to be done on the usability front (but it's much much much better than the combat demo already), but man, the content is top-notch. Great branching story with tons of opportunities to solve different situations, different viewpoints, and great C&C.

Just one question: I played the arena demo some time ago and I do not like the combat that much. Is it possibile to play the game diplomatically from start to finish?

Edited by meomao

Well, that's one of the games main feature, especially because combat is extremely hard.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just one question: I played the arena demo some time ago and I do not like the combat that much. Is it possibile to play the game diplomatically from start to finish?

Absolutely. Though the speech skills aren't a winning button and you actually need to think about how you move if you don't want to get backstabbed later.

• 5 weeks later...