"I Can Still Smell the Blood"

Krookie

And when you have a bad one why would want to keep him 4-8 years?

The americans. They had a bad leader in Bush (who they hated prior to 9/11), and decided to keep him around for 4 more years. :D

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Thinking long-term?

When you have a good leader, why would you want to get rid of him every 4-8 years? And when you have a bad one why would want to keep him 4-8 years?

Democracy should be about electing and keeping who is right for the job and to remove who is bad for the country. The terms are not always a good thing.

It sounds like you favor an enlightened despot. While having a great leader for many years may seem like the best path, it creates a dependance upon a single strong individual. Many of the great civilizations have crumbled because the strong leaders could not be adequately replaced.

George Washington probably would have been a great king for the US, but he set a precedent where no president, no matter how great, is to be a permanent fixture in the government. It's worked well, we've thrived under good presidents and survived under the lackluster ones. It also keeps the public from becoming too enamored with one president. The fruits of a president's labors are rarely harvested until they are already out of office. This is great for the country but lousy for the individual, which is an excellent way to run a government.

Ex. - Lyndon B. Johnson passed more civil rights legislation than any other president. Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter both benefitted from his fight for equal rights. But LBJ was politically castrated by a war that Eisenhower and JFK got him into. It's a sad situation, because many people of his generation look at him negatively, but I think history will remember him as a president who pushed civil rights within our nation forward.

Thinking long-term?

When you have a good leader, why would you want to get rid of him every 4-8 years? And when you have a bad one why would want to keep him 4-8 years?

Democracy should be about electing and keeping who is right for the job and to remove who is bad for the country. The terms are not always a good thing.

It sounds like you favor an enlightened despot. While having a great leader for many years may seem like the best path, it creates a dependance upon a single strong individual. Many of the great civilizations have crumbled because the strong leaders could not be adequately replaced.

George Washington probably would have been a great king for the US, but he set a precedent where no president, no matter how great, is to be a permanent fixture in the government. It's worked well, we've thrived under good presidents and survived under the lackluster ones. It also keeps the public from becoming too enamored with one president. The fruits of a president's labors are rarely harvested until they are already out of office. This is great for the country but lousy for the individual, which is an excellent way to run a government.

Ex. - Lyndon B. Johnson passed more civil rights legislation than any other president. Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter both benefitted from his fight for equal rights. But LBJ was politically castrated by a war that Eisenhower and JFK got him into. It's a sad situation, because many people of his generation look at him negatively, but I think history will remember him as a president who pushed civil rights within our nation forward.

All goods points Hurly. :huh:

...  he set a precedent where no president, no matter how great, is to be a permanent fixture in the government.

Considering Roosevelt died in his fourth term...

Edited by Nartwak

...  he set a precedent where no president, no matter how great, is to be a permanent fixture in the government.

Considering Roosevelt died in his fourth term...

a 4th term is still not permanent. GW made it clear that the leader should always be decided by the electorate.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

What would you call permanent?

a king. or at least, no elections. that was GW's point oh so many years ago.

IMO, term limits are not necessarily a good thing. there are problems due to the whole "redistricting" fiascos which guarantee incumbents reelection. if the people WANT to keep a leader, they should be allowed. i don't believe GW saw the presidency as anything other than public service, btw... he served two terms and moved on. he is what all politicians SHOULD be.

taks

Term limits were written into law after FDR. Before that, two terms was simply the standard. Every time a president gets to the end of a second term, you hear his supporters clamoring for a revision to that. Unless we are in WWIII, I don't see that happening.

I agree with taks, if all politicians were like GW, it would be awesome.

And when you have a bad one why would want to keep him 4-8 years?

The americans. They had a bad leader in Bush (who they hated prior to 9/11), and decided to keep him around for 4 more years. :D

its kind of funny the only smart people in the U.S. is on the west coast.. J/K :lol: but cali, wash, and oregon did all go against him... and as far as a cover up or a conspiracy its all cheney.. every one knows bush isn't the smartest of the bunch.. just look at all the stuff that has and is still being said about cheney on the enron scandal... :-

cheney and enron? wow, i didn't even realize cheney was in office when the enron scheming began. it was that democrat guy i thought... what was his name... oh yeah, clinton. ;)

taks

Is this Republican love-in, or can anyone join? I've brought weiners.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

2 things

1) Iraqi's are pissed about this so they are demanding that they get to do their own investigation (maybe even the trial :(" )

2) There are currently seven soldiers in the brig in LA for the killing of an iraqi man who was unrelated to the "massacre"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's just great. ;))

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

How can you smell blood?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

This is a serious question.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

You can smell blood, Craig.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

What does it smell like?

Considering that I've never been in a room filled with gore, I can't tell you, but I do know that it does have a distinct aroma.

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

Really? I know blood taste like iron but I never knew it had a scent. Maybe you're thinking of "the decaying of organs" smell.

I'd think it'd have some sort of metallic, tangy smell to it...but I'm not sure...can't really find much on google.

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

I can't say I've ever noticed my blood having a recognisable smell, but my nose isn't particularly sensitive. I'd imagine that dogs and other predators would be able to smell blood, as wounded prey spells a better chance of a meal.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)