New NWN2 OC estimate of 30-40 hrs

Hey, it's 47 bucks at newegg for the pre-order.  It's not like that's going to make or break me.  Plus, I'll come here and give an honest opinion about my experiences.

I was just kidding, I'll be preordering the limited edition if it's available in the UK. 8)

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Well, as opposed to some of you guys, I rather liked KotOR 2. I thought it was a great game. It was flawed, but it was still a boatload of fun. I actually trust Obsidian quite a bit. The only shifty thing I've seen so far is the fact that they wouldn't even confirm or deny that German interview. If it weren't for that, then the rest of this conspiracy theory stuff wouldn't even be an issue for me.

It's not really, anyhow. I agree with Vol. It sounds more like planning troubles than outright deception.

I see the news of late as a painful but necessary process as the game goes down the final stretch.

So, I anticipate enjoying the game. I'm going to follow that gut instinct and get it on pre-order. If I'm wrong I can complain and make some noise and the usual. The next time, I'll wait. That's what I did with KotOR 1 when it first hit the sheves. I waited for some time before I bought it. When I did, I was quite happy. If NWN2 disappoints me, I'll be leery of Obsidian's next game. In the meantime, delaying your purchase is a great way to make your feelings known.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hey, I'm not complaining or trying to cramp the style of guys that ask the hard questions. It's a good service for us in general. Hey, I'll be pretty happy if the guys decided to put in extra content, unless it's a puzzle-maze.

Heck, the reason I signed up at BIS was I was pretty concerned about them suggesting that the IWD2 kensai wouldn't be able to use magical weapons, only normal weapons with a bonus adjustment.

I tend to take a long-term view of things. My opinions are formed by all available information that I get, but my expectations tend not to swing wildly over every piece of information. I'd rather get more information in context to get a bigger picture.

Maybe that's partially why I wasn't really panicking/ over Feargus's 20 hour estimation. More quality information in context please. We've been getting that, the latest (recent info is better) from N.Chapman, "the person managing the QA on this game, and thus the person in charge of getting people to try to beat the game as quickly as possible". I'd rate his opinion pretty highly.

As for the DM client thing, disappointing yes. Catastrophic? No.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I liked KOTOR2 too depsite some problems with it. That's why despite my dissapointment with the likely cutting of the DMC, I still plan to buy NWN2 because I think the OC should be good.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

From the video here http://www.e3coverage.com/

"For the singleplayer, how many hours are we expecting in this game?"

Patrick Mills: "We're actually not sure. Because we've been testing this, and we found that some people go through it very very quickly - we're looking at maybe 30-40 hrs for those guys. For those who want to spend more time, the campaign could possibly be 60 to even 100 hrs long."

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Sure, Kotor2 was good. On loads of moments even way better than Kotor1. I even forgived them the ending because well, they WERE rushed and they promised to learn from that experience.

What makes me fear NWN2 is the fact that is seems like they didn't learn from it. Despite the enormous long dev time (certainly compared to Kotor2) they do manage to have crisis cuttings when Sawyer takes over. They "suddenly" imagine NWN1-NWN2 conversion might be needed and that that takes time; because they cannot keep them the same...

And on gametime;

Time will be 20 hours for sure

We cannot say anything about the time, and then only QA can tell

Not that long after QA says

It will take 30-40 hours

It sounds awfull... convenient...

ZOMG! CONSPIRACY!!!

Let's get J.C. to sort it out :blink:

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Unless they've suddenly decided to outright lie to us, something I find hard to believe given that it's not even in their best interest to do so, I think the 30-40 hour estimate is far more reasonable. I agree with Atreides in regards to the "information in context" comment. We've got more information from more sources in better detail.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Out of curiosity, how long was the original NWN's OC? It took me a while as I remember, although 50% of it was pretty mindless and seemed like filler material. I'd still take a really good and replayable 20 hours over a drawn out, barely enjoyable 40.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

It's not in Obsidian's interest to have their people lie, Spider.  This isn't some sort of random comment.  Nathan was making a clear statement about the game.  If Obsidian keeps to the 30-40 hours claim and times average out at 20-30, then it'll be worse than if they just didn't respond at all.  No, I don't think most people like to.  Sometimes they must.  ...But people rarely lie when they think it will be worse than the truth.  In this case, saying nothing is certainly better than a lie.

I don't know if I agree with you. But first a caveat. The theory put forth in this post is just that, a theory. It's completely hypothetical. I do not intend to accuse Nathaniel Chapman of being a lier, I simply don't have enough insight to him or Obsidian to make that judgement. So with that being said, the theory goes something like this:

With all the stuff being cut recently, people on boards are becoming more and more worried. The DM Client may not appear on release, the campaign is being shortened etc. If people start thinking the game is going to be short and incomplete they will start talking, in fact threads like that has already appeared. Now, ponder for a second that something actually has gone wrong during development. That they are starting to feel rushed and that the game will be very short. If they go out and say that, they will lose a lot of customers. So saying nothing is indeed better.

But what if Atari's marketing department is starting to worry. What if they issue an order that if any estimates are going to be given out, they are to be 30-40 hours. And the kick of it is, it's so far out from release that if the game do end up 20 hours long and they get called on it, they can still say it was just an estimate and that things change in 4 months. Still, they will have gotten the results they need, the fan base will be somewhat appeased and the sales during the first week (which is a majority) won't suffer at all.

Like I said, this is all purely hypothetical, but it is an explanation why Obsidian would lie rather than say nothing. I'm not saying they are and I'm definitely hoping they're not. But it's still possible.

Well, as opposed to some of you guys, I rather liked KotOR 2.  I thought it was a great game.  It was flawed, but it was still a boatload of fun.  I actually trust Obsidian quite a bit.  The only shifty thing I've seen so far is the fact that they wouldn't even confirm or deny that German interview.  If it weren't for that, then the rest of this conspiracy theory stuff wouldn't even be an issue for me.

It's not really, anyhow.  I agree with Vol.  It sounds more like planning troubles than outright deception.

call it planning troubles if you want, but what difference does that make.

for chrissakes people, ferret leaves and suddenly he is replaced by josh, who announces on the board the some areas needs must be cut to makes deadline. is those cuts really big? who knows, hopefully not, but how can you possibly thinks that ferret leaving right before original release date and the sudden cuts announced by josh would be unrelated.

throws in fact that some obsidian guy let slip that dm client ain't shipping in box neither, as evidence of mr cuts that needs to be made to get game out by september, and you is still blissfully optimistic 'bout nwn2 prospects.

oh sure, cuts were made and a new lead were brought in, but that can't possibly mean that cuts will be made to the sp oc or the toolset.

honestly, if Gromnir weren't fully expecting your reaction we would be disappointed... but this willful self-delusion is just part o' the human condition. am not speaking of eldar personal like, but rather of all the folks who ain't expressing at least some 'mount of genuine concern.

some of you people is working real hard to pretends that all this stuff is unrelated and innocuous. maybe josh is able to pull fergie

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Me too.

But, since only the minority of people use it doesn't matter. Just like they should cancel dwarves, gnomes, half orcs, halflings, bards, rangers,d ruids, axes, crossbows, playable female characters, evil optons since only aminority of players use those features as well.

HAHAHAHAHAH!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/708/708457p1.html

Only 2 npcs!!!

Edited by Volourn

Me too.

But, since only the minority of people use it doesn't matter. Just like they should cancel dwarves, gnomes, half orcs, halflings, bards, rangers,d ruids, axes, crossbows, playable female characters, evil optons since only  aminority of players use those features as well.

HAHAHAHAHAH!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/708/708457p1.html

Only 2 npcs!!!

Quote: Posted 05/13/06 18:28:17 (GMT) by Papermonk

Interesting.. I assume the "2 companions" is more just in that instane and we can still have more than that.

Thanks for the heads up, Spin!

Yeah I'm not sure if that is a miquote or not. In the tutorial you have 2 companions, for the rest of the game you can have up to 3 (for a total of 4). However, those settings are just for our campaign. Your own campaigns can have more or less (or none).

From Anthony Davis -gameplay programmer.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeha, I figured it was a misquote most likely. I'm just making fun of them, and Grom because he takes ALL prviews (as long as they state soemthing negative like OC is 20 hours) as gospel.

R00fles!

Until I hear from Obsidian otherwise, the OC will have 3 joinable npcs in a party out of (at last check) 10 possible ones. :thumbsup:"

Since play style affects playing time significantly, instead of trying to come up with an absolute figure, why can't the gameplay be quantified in relative terms such as, "about 75% of the length of KOTOR-II"? I'm sure this statistic would have a lot less variance than an absolute length-of-game estimate.