2006 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

Alas, I was mistaken. Farewell to Spain.

Then again, I didn't see the Spanish team in the second half that I've seen in the rest of the tournament. They seemed a bit scared of the french and didn't support their strikers with fast movements forward as they have in their previous games, which made it rather too easy for the french defense to to unravel. France wasn't really that dangerous, but when have four or five chances to score while Spain has none, it becomes very difficult for Spain to win.

I'm sad now - I thought Spain was the better team and a strong contender for the cup. I suppose my money's on Argentina now :-

Well, that was fun. That's how football matches should be.

I don't think the foul on Henry that allowed for the second goal was a foul at all, but meh. We got a penalty kick so one can't blame the ref, really.

While one could argue that Spain played better (what with ~60% possession and all), we did jack in attack. France scored three goals, we scored none. And that's what counts in the end. A class act from Zidane, too. I sure hope they can keep up this level of play. If they do, it'll make for great games the next days. :)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well, for one more game at least. :)

I haven't seen Brazil play as well in this tournament as France did tonight, but then they haven't need to. We'll see soon enough whether they can raise their game and beat the French, but I'm afraid (apologies to Lucius), Brazil is still the more likely victor.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

All the teams I've wanted to win have failed so far, except for Germany. Help me Germany, you're my only hope.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Well, for one more game at least. :)

I haven't seen Brazil play as well in this tournament as France did tonight, but then they haven't need to.  We'll see soon enough whether they can raise their game and beat the French, but I'm afraid (apologies to Lucius), Brazil is still the more likely victor.

Meh, I dislike both team Brazil and France, the only good result of such a match would be if they somehow mutually eliminated eachother from the tournament. :(

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

All the teams I've wanted to win have failed so far, except for Germany. Help me Germany, you're my only hope.

Well, would you please wish for everybody except Denmark to win in the next World Cup please ?... :o"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Henry was so offside all of the time that it wasn't even funny. I don't think he was even trying to keep onside when play was developing. Ribery was good though. He took over Zidane's playmaking gauntlet in the 2nd half.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Anyone know where I can find the Portugal vs Holland match? I didn't see it, but I'd really like to.

DENMARK!

Atrocious play from both sides in the Spain France match. Henry should have been ashamed about that damn dive he took.

"Oh Noes! I have received a hand to the chest I will fall to the floor holding teh face!"

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Funny thing is, Puyol was an idiot for fouling Henry when he was never going to get to the ball; then Henry was an idiot for exaggerating the damage done. So I don't think anybody can complain, really. :ermm:

I just thought it's easy to simply say the Spanish suddenly fell down a pit of suck in the second half, but to me it looked like the fact that the French were very good at cutting Spanish play out in the midfield, esp. with Vieira/Makelele (and even Zidane) and they couldn't react when their midfield control dissipated. It remains to be seen whether France can do that to a more technically gifted Brazil, whose strikers won't be as easy to mark as fall-down-lots Torres.

Also entertaining to see all the Henry offsides, some of them were really funny because Henry made the run, but the man with the ball didnt pass, instead held it, then when Henry stopped and started coming back they release the ball, as if to deliberately catch him offside. :) That was actually most of the offsides, though after a while I think he got pissed off and started ballwatching. They really need to work out their teamwork to beat Brazil.

Atrocious play from both sides in the Spain France match. Henry should have been ashamed about that damn dive he took.

"Oh Noes! I have received a hand to the chest I will fall to the floor holding teh face!"

Haha. I remember Gerrard took a dive in one of the England matches too before the WC I think. All these dudes saying how bad diving is then they "exagerate" things themselve.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Uhm, you hope that Germany will win the World Cup? You're crazy!

(Well maybe because us Dutchies always hope that the Germans will fail)

I HEART Germany :) ... especially since they have a keeper called Khan ;) even though he's on the bench and not happy about it :angry:

DENMARK!

Funny thing is, Puyol was an idiot for fouling Henry when he was never going to get to the ball; then Henry was an idiot for exaggerating the damage done. So I don't think anybody can complain, really. :blink:
That was a slip from the ref, actually. Puyol was running in front of Henry the whole time, then Henry bumped into him from behind, and fell to the floor in "pain".

This allowed the free kick that was masterfully executed to obtain a second goal (with involuntary help from defender Sergio Ramos).

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Running in front of Henry is no problem, the elbow barging is. Although without Henry's fall-slash-dive, a bad ref might have let it go.

Meh. I support Henry here, but that's only because I believe this was a bad decision from him and he will move on and return to the cheat-free player he is. Especially in the modern game, I think you can only have problems if a player dives consistently and deliberately (Drogba).

Guest The Architect

I'm obviously still pissed about that ****ed up refereeing decision against us that brought about such an awful end to our otherwise fascinating World Cup campaign, but, it's in the past now, nothing can be done about it, you know, I actually thought the ref was fine up until that final controversal moment. Oh well, looks like we'll have to wait until 2010 to have another crack in the World's biggest sporting event, but hopefully during 2010 most of our current side will still be there and a good coach will be in charge of us (preferably Guus Hiddink), but a return to the Socceroos is highly unlikely, but he has hinted at returning to the Socceroos, which is awesome, there's no one like Guus, please return to us!

Now, on to the quater-finals, well, here is what I'm predicting...

Argentina to beat Germany...

England to beat Portugal...

Italy to beat Ukraine...

France to beat Brazil...

Of course, I have my reasons (like everyone else does) as to why I think the results are going to turn out like this. There is no doubt in my mind that England and Italy will win, but I am less certain about France and Argentina winning, although in my book, the Germany/Argentina and Brazil/France games are very much '50'50's, but I think the same thought applies for everyone else anyway...

Edited by The Architect

I'm obviously still pissed about that ****ed up refereeing decision against us that brought about such an awful end to our otherwise fascinating World Cup campaign, but, it's in the past now, nothing can be done about it, you know, I actually thought the ref was fine up until that final controversal moment. Oh well, looks like we'll have to wait until 2010 to have another crack in the World's biggest sporting event, but hopefully during 2010 most of our current side will still be there and a good coach will be in charge of us (preferably Guus Hiddink), but a return to the Socceroos is highly unlikely, but he has hinted at returning to the Socceroos, which is awesome, there's no one like Guus, please return to us!

Now, on to the quater-finals, well, here is what I'm predicting...

Argentina to beat Germany...

England to beat Portugal...

Italy to beat Ukraine...

France to beat Brazil...

Of course, I have my reasons (like everyone else does) as to why I think the results are going to turn out like this. There is no doubt in my mind that England and Italy will win, but I am less certain about France and Argentina winning, although in my book, the Germany/Argentina and Brazil/France games are very much '50'50's, but I think the same thought applies for everyone else anyway...

Ooh, it's at times like this that I wish I was a mod, so that I could *correct* such posts. :shifty:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Guest The Architect
Ooh, it's at times like this that I wish I was a mod, so that I could *correct* such posts. :shifty:

Oh, we will see who's correct in due time :) Okay, now I want to know what is not correct about my post. Obviously you think Portugal is going to win, I gathered that, what about the other three quater-finals? Do you disagree with me on any of the other results? Wait, let me guess, you think Brazil will beat France, but agree with me that Italy and Argentina will win, am I right? Is there anything else in my post that you disagree with?

But look, until England gets knocked out of the World Cup, I will not shut up about my 'soccer conspiracy theory' about England winning the World Cup. Make no mistake about it, I'll be going for Portugal against England, I don't want those corrupt cheats to win the World Cup, but I personally think they will win it, but NOT fairly!

Edited by The Architect

Oh, we will see who's correct in due time :thumbsup: Okay, now I want to know what is not correct about my post. Obviously you think Portugal is going to win, I gathered that, what about the other three quater-finals? Do you disagree with me on any of the other results? Wait, let me guess, you think Brazil will beat France, but agree with me that Italy and Argentina will win, am I right? Is there anything else in my post that you disagree with?

But look, until England gets knocked out of the World Cup, I will not shut up about my 'soccer conspiracy theory' about England winning the World Cup. Make no mistake about it, I'll be going for Portugal against England, I don't want those corrupt cheats to win the World Cup, but I personally think they will win it, but NOT fairly!

It's really just the Portugal bit. Especially how there is no doubt in your mind that England will win. And don't worry, at best England will reach the semi-finals.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yah. Just like four years ago with Rivaldo. A player from Turkey shoots a ball against his leg, and he acts like he was hit in the face.

RIVALDO....YOUR LEG IS NOT, I repeat, NOT YOUR FACE! And Henry....YOUR CHEST IS NOT, I repeat, NOT YOUR FACE.

Maybe their nerve-system is so messed up, that they feel pain in their face when they got hit somewhere else.

Edited by Mtthz