2006 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

I read somewhere that they could deny Italy the win if that be the case, but seriously that is but wishful thinking :(

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I would laugh out loud if the decision was reversed and Italy had their championship revoked, and went down in the official record books as coming in second that game.

And not even that I care who does or does not win, just because the sheer shock and rioting in Italy would be insane.

For everyone that says no matter what it's Zidane's fault for headbutting... you're completely missing the point and falling into the epistemological blame trap.

Firstly, Zidane apologised. Why? Because he says headbutting (reaction) was wrong. He *agrees* with you people on that.

But he's not responsible for the entire incident from start to finish:

Blame must be laid to Materazzi for his words (provocation). This does not mean Zidane's action is justified. This does not mean Materazzi should get no sympathy for the headbutt. This means that Zidane did something wrong, and Materazzi did something wrong. That is all there is to it.

Of course, the classic responses in our times is to say Zidane shouldn't have done it anyway - of course not, and Zidane acknowledges that. It doesn't matter, whatever Zidane did or should have done, Materazzi was in the fault from the moment vile words left his lips.

For me (personally), at least Zidane has the passion and the provocation of the moment to excuse himself (very partially) for a moment of lost control. Oh, sure, Zidane has gotten a few red cards in his career, but these are moments, and apart from these moments he is a very clean player as seen in every game he plays in. Would you take that kind of player for your game, or someone like Materazzi who is dirty from start to finish with some red cards thrown in to spice it up? Someone who offers provocation *first*?

And it's not "just" words either. If you can say words have never hurt you, then you should go start an anger management program, you have your first customer. ;)

Edited by Tigranes

Oh, there are a lot of factors involved, but we should be leary of using post facto judgements to overturn the results of something as important as the World Cup. The authority should only undertake such measures when the circumstances leave no other viable choice. Otherwise, victory will be more the result of clever argument rather than skillful play.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

LOL He made fun of the guy's mother, and sister. Oh, the humanity! Sorry, I don't buy that as an exuse to take away a medal or as an exuse to go around headbutting people. I'm sure, the players are ALWAYS trashtalking each other on their field. If Materazzi is guilty of anything, it's that he used such a cliche insult when he chose to make fun of Zidane's family. LOL If youa re gonna verbally insulty someone, please be original at least.

I mean seriously, I bet the joke was like this: "Zidane, your momma's so fat, that you need an entire plane to transfer her around, and your sister is so ugly, that the Beast runs away."

Hahahaha. Zidane needs thicker skin.

Also, both Zidane and Materazzi have a history of poor sportsmanship. This isn't the first time, Zidane has decided to physically assault someone on the field of play at least according to the various articles I have read.

P.S. I say one thing though... this incident is interetsing. I was only a passive half interested viewer in the World Cup until this blew up. WOWSERS! :shifty:

P.P.S. I don't exuse Materazzi's behaviour either. He should stick to playing soccer, and not play the insult game; but Zidane is much, much worse in this incident.

P.P.P.S. "For me (personally), at least Zidane has the passion and the provocation of the moment to excuse himself (very partially) for a moment of lost control."

That's a silly exuse that both can use. In fact, Materazzi also used it. It's a good thing that I don't buy it. Headbutting someone (and making fun of them) are concious decisions.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

LOL He made fun of the guy's mother, and sister. Oh, the humanity! Sorry, I don't buy that as an exuse to take away a medal or as an exuse to go around headbutting people. I'm sure, the players are ALWAYS trashtalking each other on their field. If Materazzi is guilty of anything, it's that he used such a cliche insult when he chose to make fun of Zidane's family. LOL If youa re gonna verbally insulty someone, please be original at least.

Once again Volourn delivers! And I mean that in the nicest way possible. ;)

Of course it might be perfectly ridiculous to you. After all, you're looking at it afterwards, from an outside view, with a different outlook, etc, etc. Just because the insult is trivial, or just because you think the insult isn't much of an insult, doesnt mean that Materazzi is excused. What you say appears perfectly plausible thanks to our cultural environment but doesn't actually hold up.

Zidane needs thicker skin? Maybe he didn't want thicker skin. Maybe he didn't want to let it go. It was his choice, and as he said, he does not regret that choice. For unrelated strangers to harp on about his personality defects seems rather pointless.

edit: besides, that was the single most entertaining moment of the entire WC, Zidane totally pwned everyone with the WTF factor.

Edited by Tigranes

Yes, he needs thicker skin. This happens all the time in football and it may have been what let Zidane last that long.

Professional football's not always a nice place to be because of scums like Materazzi that try to wind opponents up. "Winding them up", whether it's niggling fouls or abusive language is hardly new to the game. It's actually the norm than the exception.

Does it suddenly make Zidane a saint or completely absolve him of his sins? Only one Man can do that and he was last spotted a few thousand years ago.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I honestly don't think the headbutt is that big of a deal. It looked serious, but it's not like he started throwing punches. I've seen way worse stuff in hockey. The guy isn't even injured. It's not like he paralyzed someone. Bertuzzi should show up in the next WC and show people how it's done.

Yes, he needs thicker skin.  This happens all the time in football and it may have been what let Zidane last that long.

Professional football's not always a nice place to be because of scums like Materazzi that try to wind opponents up.  "Winding them up", whether it's niggling fouls or abusive language is hardly new to the game.  It's actually the norm than the exception.

Does it suddenly make Zidane a saint or completely absolve him of his sins?  Only one Man can do that and he was last spotted a few thousand years ago.

Racism is not tolerated in football. Any perpetrators of racism must be severely sanctioned.

manthing2.jpg

Maybe he wouldn't have reacted the way he did, had his mother not been in at the hospital pt. (it said so in the BBC article, so I was right :rolleyes:)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I don't usually snap, but I have snapped at an innocuous statement before, that was just trash talking.

It was in Grade 8. At the beginning of the school year, my brother was killed in a motorcycle accident. At the end of the year, we were playing football during lunch recess. We were trash talking each other, and one of the guys that I was chirping at replied "at least my brother's not dead." I almost killed him. Literally. Had the rest of the people playing not restrained me, Hades would think I should be executed. And I'm someone that avoids running over gophers on the road because I feel bad afterwards.

Expecting a sports athlete should be immune to snapping is to expect them to not be human. Good luck with that.

I almost killed him.  Literally.  Had the rest of the people playing not restrained me, Hades would think I should be executed. 

For almost killing him? No. If you actually had killed him, probably, but at that your base instinct took over. Your instinct saw a threat and the fight or flight response took over and it chose to fight, to try to kill the transgressor.

If I was in your shoes I would probably reacted the same.

It was in Grade 8.  At the beginning of the school year, my brother was killed in a motorcycle accident.  At the end of the year, we were playing football during lunch recess.  We were trash talking each other, and one of the guys that I was chirping at replied "at least my brother's not dead."  I almost killed him.  Literally.  Had the rest of the people playing not restrained me, Hades would think I should be executed.  And I'm someone that avoids running over gophers on the road because I feel bad afterwards.

Expecting a sports athlete should be immune to snapping is to expect them to not be human.  Good luck with that.

We are humans after all, not some strange divine race who are totally in control of their emotions and never let their emotions control them.

Nothing so serious have happened to me... It was couple weeks after I was dumped. Me and few friends were going drinking and this friend of a friend(I don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

For almost killing him? No. If you actually had killed him, probably, but at that your base instinct took over. Your instinct saw a threat and the fight or flight response took over and it chose to fight, to try to kill the transgressor.

Read what I said. "Had the rest of the people playing not restrained me, Hades would think I should be executed."

And I'm not sure how "instinct" came into play, and certainly not "fight or flight." I didn't see him as a threat. How was he threatening me? Fight or flight should not have kicked in (and it didn't).

Emotional trauma does not equal instinct. It proves nothing about "instinct" as studies have shown that people suffering from emotional trauma adapt at a neurological level (in other words, the brain is acting differently than normal). If anything, a conclusion could be made that I was not acting normal. Outside events altered my physiology.

Furthermore, had it been instinct, a similar comment would still illicit a similar response. It doesn't. It would also mean that the rest of humanity would act in the same way in similar circumstances. They don't.

Edited by alanschu