Expected first NWN2 campaign game time

Where's your expected game time fall? (in hours)  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Where's your expected game time fall? (in hours)

• 00-10
    • 10-15
    • 15-20
    • 20-25
    • 25-30
    • 30-35
    • 35-40
    • 40-45
    • 45-50
    • 50+

Irt' stoallly deliberate! I know os I dont' rwad my post befrore I post it! drunk tyoping fun be because it's no reason to correct your post because my posts are als rong and stuff

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Presumptuous?  Yes, but as Hurlshot admitted he does have a form of ADD, so I ware correct with my presumptuous comment.  >_<

Also, it was not an insult.  Oh, yes, I do have OCD on very minor things like role playing games.  :o

I just had the impression that, if someone (and not just Hurlshot) has a hard time keeping their attention on a game longer than 30 hours, then ADD has something to do with it.

I didn't think you were trying to be insulting. Though it doesn't necessarily mean people don't take it that way. I remember a friend of mine was struggling in English 101, so he went to the teacher for help. His teacher recommended some excellent ESL (English Second Language courses) that would help him out. It would probably help a lot, except that English was my friend's native language. His last name was Le Bray, so she probably assumed he was French. I'm sure she didn't mean to insult him, but he felt pretty crappy being recommended to an ESL course when he's spoken English his whole life.

I also can imagine that it is not that uncommon if people without ADD could have problems sticking with a game for 30+ hours. Extenuating circumstances can pull a person away from a game for a while (such things as lives, kids, work, etc.). I know I usually have a hard time jumping back into a game after being away for a while. I never finished Morrowind because of that, and I'm having a hard time getting back into Oblivion because of my vacation.

Things I have gotten fixated/obsessive on:

Turnips

Cyberbob

Theme song from Gilligan's Island.  (sing it almost constantly when I get bored)

Killing Aribeth.  (Got a save on NWN up to that point so I can kill her over and over and over again)

Pulling the hair off my arms, one by one.

Bubblegum Crisis

Baldur's Gate, I have played that game more times than any other game that I have worn out the discs and had to buy 4 copies over the years.

Game mechanics

Canon Material (regardless of what that material is)

d20

You just gave me a reason to finish the game. Thanks!

Oh, and 30-40 hours for NWN2 would suit me fine. If I spend too long on a game I forget what happened in the beginning.

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Presumptuous?  Yes, but as Hurlshot admitted he does have a form of ADD, so I ware correct with my presumptuous comment.  >_<

Also, it was not an insult.  Oh, yes, I do have OCD on very minor things like role playing games.  :o

I just had the impression that, if someone (and not just Hurlshot) has a hard time keeping their attention on a game longer than 30 hours, then ADD has something to do with it.

I didn't think you were trying to be insulting. Though it doesn't necessarily mean people don't take it that way. I remember a friend of mine was struggling in English 101, so he went to the teacher for help. His teacher recommended some excellent ESL (English Second Language courses) that would help him out. It would probably help a lot, except that English was my friend's native language. His last name was Le Bray, so she probably assumed he was French. I'm sure she didn't mean to insult him, but he felt pretty crappy being recommended to an ESL course when he's spoken English his whole life.

I also can imagine that it is not that uncommon if people without ADD could have problems sticking with a game for 30+ hours. Extenuating circumstances can pull a person away from a game for a while (such things as lives, kids, work, etc.). I know I usually have a hard time jumping back into a game after being away for a while. I never finished Morrowind because of that, and I'm having a hard time getting back into Oblivion because of my vacation.

Actually, the diagnosis doesn't usually take watching TV or playing games into consideration as criteria to assess inattention or distractibility, since many kids with it WILL stay still and watch TV for hours on end.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

50+ hours for one playthrough. 

I go about my games in a very obsessive compulsive methodical way.

I am a completenik, too.

If I could play K2 in a little over 60 hours, then milking 50+ out of NWN2 should pose no problem, especially if you have a party of four to play with in combat so you can come up with some real strategies.

snap!

..and of course, I really tend to squeeze every bit of play out of a game. Since I hate replaying them I tend to save/reload to check out what happens if I do something else in a situation and so on..

snap!

Actually, the diagnosis doesn't usually take watching TV or playing games into consideration as criteria to assess inattention or distractibility, since many kids with it WILL stay still and watch TV for hours on end.

Not only that, but tv is blamed for causing it.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

based on info we got we can make no reasonable guess.

however, for you folks that insist on doing so, we will note that josh told us that some of the areas from nwn2 had recently been cut from game so that obsidian could meet deadlines and maintain quality. so, as you makes your guestimates be sure to gives some value for how many hours you thinks obsidian were shooting for (X), and then be sure to subtract some 'mount from that value to reflect the diminished content we now gots available (Y). so if you were thinking that the developer were shooting for 40 hours (X=40,) then makes sure that you subtract some quantity from that (40-Y.) no game in our recollection ever gots additional gameplay when content had to be cut to meet a deadline.

next step is to adjust for whether you thinks developer gameplay estimates is higher or lower than actual gameplay you will gets. some of us discover that developers is... optimistic with their time estimates. game developer says 25-30 and you get 10-15? maybe reverse is true and a developer says 40 hours and you typically get 50 from them. obsidian only has made one game, so such an adjustment is almost useless unless you widen the scope of your analysis a tad. maybe includes past bis titles?

so, if you thinks that maybe obsidian were originally shooting for 30-40 hours of gameplay from nwn2 in addition to and on top of efforts to include mp and toolset aspects, then you gots a rational and logical method for coming up with an estimate that ain't based simply on how lengthy you hopes or wishes nwn2 will be. is still a complete guess, but we thinks that at least our approach is having the benefit of being a bit more dispassionate.

so knocks yourselves out...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not only that, but tv is blamed for causing it.

I blame Sesame Street. Seriously. The skits there range from 30 sec. to 2 min. That's far too short. Children don't need constantly-shifting programming; they are quite content (and actually learn more) watching a long, continuous program repeatedly (the repitition helps them learn it).

I liked Sesame Street.

I hated it.

Any way ADD? :ph34r:

If a came keeps my attention I will finish it to completion. There are not that many games that I have finished to completion though, they bore me after a while. Which is why I keep playing the same ones over and over because they have my attention and I thoroughly enjoy them.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I liked Sesame Street.

I hated it.

Any way ADD? :ph34r:

If a came keeps my attention I will finish it to completion. There are not that many games that I have finished to completion though, they bore me after a while. Which is why I keep playing the same ones over and over because they have my attention and I thoroughly enjoy them.

Sesame Street sucked, Big Bird was a commie!

based on info we got we can make no reasonable guess.

however, for you folks that insist on doing so, we will note that josh told us that some of the areas from nwn2 had recently been cut from game so that obsidian could meet deadlines and maintain quality.  so, as you makes your guestimates be sure to gives some value for how many hours you thinks obsidian were shooting for (X), and then be sure to subtract some 'mount from that value to reflect the diminished content we now gots available (Y).  so if you were thinking that the developer were shooting for 40 hours (X=40,) then makes sure that you subtract some quantity from that (40-Y.)  no game in our recollection ever gots additional gameplay when content had to be cut to meet a deadline. 

next step is to adjust for whether you thinks developer gameplay estimates is higher or lower than actual gameplay you will gets.  some of us discover that developers is... optimistic with their time estimates.  game developer says 25-30 and you get 10-15?  maybe reverse is true and a developer says 40 hours and you typically get 50 from them.  obsidian only has made one game, so such an adjustment is almost useless unless you widen the scope of your analysis a tad.  maybe includes past bis titles?

so, if you thinks that maybe obsidian were originally shooting for 30-40 hours of gameplay from nwn2 in addition to and on top of efforts to include mp and toolset aspects, then you gots a rational and logical method for coming up with an estimate that ain't based simply on how lengthy you hopes or wishes nwn2 will be.  is still a complete guess, but we thinks that at least our approach is having the benefit of being a bit more dispassionate. 

so knocks yourselves out...

HA! Good Fun!

So your formula for estimating NWN2's length would be

Game length = r * (40 - Y),

where r = adjustment ratio

Y = stuff cut

In your case, I get the impression you're leaning towards 0<r<1 and Y>0.

Formula aside, what did you vote for?

Spreading beauty with my katana.