"Witcher" interview, via 'Codex

kumquatq3

Character creation doesn't matter if you can't actually define the personality of your character in a game anyway(Oblivion). Being able to do that is the important part, doesn't matter if the avatar is visually pre-defined.

The Witcher sounds somewhat interesting, even though the Aurora engine makes me gag. Hopefully what they've said about almost completely reworking it is true. It certainly sounds more interesting to me then EverBoring Nights 2.

I dont know what it is, but Germans seem to have a completely different idea of what makes a good CRPG. This results in horrible games.

At the conference I attended two weeks ago, ther was this german guy from the team thats making "Beowulf" that did a presentation of it and I have to say that if he took that presentation to a US/UK publisher, theyd laugh at him and then quickly pull the lever that releases the trapdoor.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The Witcher is polish I think. The book atleast is. Anyhow I dont think a book can be made into a good game, just like movie based games suck. But who knows atleast they make it sound promissing...

Edited by Fighter

I dont know what it is, but Germans seem to have a completely different idea of what makes a good CRPG. This results in horrible games.

At the conference I attended two weeks ago, ther was this german guy from the team thats making "Beowulf" that did a presentation of it and I have to say that if he took that presentation to a US/UK publisher, theyd laugh at him and then quickly pull the lever that releases the trapdoor.

Welcome to the indie game developer scene.

Maybe it's Torn!

Oh my goodness, a Torn reference. That's something you don't see often these days.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Oh c'mon, generalizations are silly. The Gothic series is great, and Pirhanha Bytes just so happens to be German. Lots of crappy game ideas come out of English speaking countries too.

Anyway, why are so many of the folks here so dismissive of this game? I swear, it's no wonder PC games in this genre are friggin rare, CRPG fans are absurdly snobbish towards anything that doesn't have a lot of hype or a huge license. Bah!

Edited by StillLife

Sounds good. I'll keep it under my radar for now. If the reviews are good, then i buy it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

5. Character development. How can we develop Geralt, sword-wielding monster slayer, "the greatest and most famous of all the witchers", considering that his role is already clearly defined? Would one player's Geralt be different from another player's Geralt? Any examples?

That question wasn't answered at all, the guy just rattled off about getting your character uber from skill your own way. In other words, Chardev in a gameplay aspec,t not a roleplay aspect.

Yeah, 'cause 4Head are idiots and all their games are crap.

Thank heaven I don't only rely on US publishers for my games. You'll find UK publishers are often quite different, by the way.