Movies You Have Seen Lately

Gfted1

Kong - I'm going to largely agree (I think, from what I read) with meta on this one. Some nice effects but too long with very shallow characterization, etc.

The first 1/3 I was falling asleep. The 2nd 3rd I was mostly laughing my arse off at some of the preposterous scenarios - not always in a bad/this sucks way, but I'm not entirely sure if I was supposed to be laughing at all. Example: The entire fight between Kong and the 3 t-rexes. Was that played for comedy? Oh man, when they were all tangled in the vines and stuff, I burst out with giggles and didn't stop for about 5 minutes. Same with all the ape+woman bonding. Hahaha!!! The last section of the film was ok, great effects and all, but I was not emotionally drawn into the 'drama'.

Jack has fun playing his somewhat unlikable character...the boat captain was a hunky dude, rawr...although I also thought it was rather too convienent that he kept coming to the rescue, out of nowhere.

To me Kong is a bit like that Helen Hunt tornado movie years ago - or Jurassic Park (but Jurassic is better...), or ID4 - all big spectacle to ooh and ahh and giggle at, but nothing else. Which isn't neccesarily bad...it's kinda funny to watch once you get past the tepid start. But it's not a shining Peter moment.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Timecop: The Berlin Decision

They should've renamed this one Timecop: The Paradox Decision.

Oh man, I kill myself all the time!

Now, for something more serious, uniquely so, this has to be the most laughable excuse for a script I've ever seen filmed, plot hole after plot hole, temporal paradox after temporal paradox, a premise so cliched it made my blood boil, laughable philosophy, horrible special effects;

Must watch!

Edited by Baley

I thought you meant this one.

I suffered through that, which seems to have all the same qualities of the sequel, except (and this is the show-stopper) it ALSO has Jean-Claude Van Damme trying to act tough.

Does the sequel plot use the same brother-died-and-he's-getting-revenge hook for the protagonist, like every Van Damn film?

Just watched Brubaker.

Redford is brilliant, as always.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

9264.jpg

Jean-Claude, mmm.

No, it's about this idealistic youth that wishes to kill Hitler and reshape humanity's history to make everything good, kind, nice and caring, he's the villain here, obviously.

Anyway, he gets the power and starts killing people, cause everyone knows that to reverse humanity's wrong-doings one must first eliminate the competition and learn karate.

As you can see the plot is hardly important, or coherent, you've got a gazillion paradoxes all swimming in the air, casually floating around, you've got this tough ass Chinaman using his magical kung-fu, Hitler, social commentary, more kung-fu, another paradox or two followed be even more kung-fu all culminating in an awe-inspiring bat**** flabbergasting battle between the villain and the hero, whose father the villain had just carefully assassinated. And he takes of his shirt! You know the nudity in this movie is really disappointing, I mean the only real scene is during the bloody denouement, these bastards should've learned something from all those 80s action movies! Give us nudity, that's why people watch movies, surely not for inane temporal paradoxes. Nudity! Nudity! Nudity!

I miss Schwarzenegger : ((

The action scenes in MI3 are entertaining but they just seem to be for show rather than have any point to them. There is no plot to speak of and there is a point in the film wher it just seems to lose steam altogether giving way to a terrible ending.

Then again... you might like it - plenty of explosions.

Edited by Surreptishus

The action scenes in MI3 are entertaining but they just seem to be for show rather than have any point to them. There is no plot to speak of and there is a point in the film wher it just seems to lose steam altogether giving way to a terrible ending.

Then again... you might like it - plenty of explosions.

I thought it was better than the second one.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Sci-Fi's original pic AI Assualt, last night.

Terrible movie, like most of their movies, but hey, it had Sulu, Worf, and the Voyager holo-doctor in it, so I had to watch it. LOL

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sky High, on teh television.  It was alright I guess.  Really goddamn cheesy but alright for a family movie.

not cheesy... teenage.

I personally Loved it to death... (really... I'm still removing the disc's fragments from my skin...)

saw Get Carter with Stallone (eh... it's a nice flick but could use a little on the plot side)

and History of Violence (good movie but a little wierd. They explain like NOTHING about the characters from the first scene.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Just saw Shadowless Sword since some dude here posted the trailer. The guy lead in the film gave a terrible speech to his troops. If I was one of the soldiers, I would have run for my life after hearing that. I feel sorry for the girl who died...

Edited by julianw

Just saw Shadowless Sword since some dude here posted the trailer. The guy lead in the film gave a terrible speech to his troops. If I was one of the soldiers, I would have run for my life after hearing that. I feel sorry for the girl who died...

reminds me of the dantooine speech you give in K2.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

reminds me of the dantooine speech you give in K2.

But I was playing DS!

Anyhoo, if Mel's speech in Braveheart is a 10 and Viggo's speech in Lotr is a 7, this guy gets -100.

That's Entertainment.

I'm not a HUGE fan of the old musicals but I do love the dance sequences from those films. :lol:

Sky High, on teh television.  It was alright I guess.  Really goddamn cheesy but alright for a family movie.

not cheesy... teenage.

I personally Loved it to death... (really... I'm still removing the disc's fragments from my skin...)

saw Get Carter with Stallone (eh... it's a nice flick but could use a little on the plot side)

and History of Violence (good movie but a little wierd. They explain like NOTHING about the characters from the first scene.)

I was talking more about the effects, specifically the Robot at the beginning.

Teen movies are a perverse indulgence for me so that wasn't really a problem.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Where is that from?

I watched Shadowless Sword a couple of days ago. I didn't know you could make worse plots than House of Flying Daggers. Fights were fun though. Over-extended and sometimes long-winded, but fun nonetheless.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds