Movies You Have Seen Lately

Gfted1

Don't understand what you had to "get" about it, it was pretty straightforward.

Fancy graphics and pretentious use of Baudelaire, what's not to like?

Rappelez-vous l'objet que nous v

Edited by Baley

:lol:

This is only for the finns among you:

Constantine n

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, yes and no:

Throughout the movie Connie is goaded into ditching the cigs, because indulging on something is a sin and you'll be in hell in no time. Not to mention getting there sooner due to cancer, which is what would sooner or later kill him. What eventually saves him from certain death is no one else except good ol'Horny, Satan. He rips the cancerous growth out from Connies body to prevent him from dying and getting to heaven. More time to live, more time to sin.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Eh, sorry Chu. I was still writing when you posted it. You are, of course, right.

kirottu said:

The peak of the Roman Empire was pre-Christian:
  • Augustus found Rome as brick, and left it marble;

• Nero actually blamed the Christians for the fire of Rome, and was fond of feeding them to the lions;

• Hadrian was the first Emperor who actually decided to change the expansionist policy prevalent since the overthrown of the Etruscan despot Tarquin the Proud.

By the time the Roman Empire was Christian, under Constantine (at his deathbed) the Vandalls, Goths and Visigoths were already baying at the gates and it was about to be cloven into the Eastern and Western Roman Empires.

Okay, the Byzantines make more sense then. It was a loose interpretation after all.

If you forget it was a game it's the best horror movie I've seen in a long while. If you try to compare it to the game you'll find yourself liking it less. Yet, I still find it the best Game to Movie conversion. Go see it.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Yet, I still find it the best Game to Movie conversion. Go see it.

Is that because it's actually OK or is it because all other movies based on games are really awful?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I was in the mood for just plain murder and bloodletting, so I rented Hostel, knowing full well it's not supposed to be a 'good' movie (altho, some people think Texas Chainsaw is a masterpiece, which I disagree with....). But I figured, there'd be tons of gore at least, or something.

So I sat down with my roast beef sandwich and watched it, ready to heckle at the screen or be grossed out. It seemed like there were more breasts in the first 20 minutes of the film than from every Playboy centerfold from the dawn of time combined, and by the time they got to the 'ewwww' scenes....well, let's just say the first Saw did a better job on that part.

Not recommended.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hee hee:

Deadly microwave radiation will cook us since we'll no longer be shielded by the Earth's magnetic force field or what Keyes refers to as "Earth's electro-magnetic energy field".

that made me giggle.

The movie's heroes set out to solve this horrifying non-problem in the only possible way: send a manned vehicle that looks like a windowless subway train into the Earth's core and blow up five 200-megaton nuclear bombs. (We always knew nukes were good for something.) An unmanned vehicle would make a lot more sense for such a hostile environment, but then the movie's heroes would not be able to exhibit courage, daring, and self-sacrifice.

Perfect SF plot fodder!

Virgil is made of an impossible alloy capable of withstanding the extreme temperature and pressure found in the core. To its credit the movie calls the material unobtainium. While not desired, even good science fiction sometimes has to resort to pure fabrication in order to continue the plot.

That's what swung the balance for me: Unobtainium!

Add in the super egotist Zimsky, the philosophical Frenchman Serge, and the eccentric inventor Brazelton, all led by the brilliant Dr. Keyes who can't even tie his necktie and the  Virgil has a perfect world-saving crew.  We like them just enough to feel sad as the script kills them off but not too sad since most of them aren't especially good looking or super cool. But, don't worry, the youngest, coolest, and best-looking characters are in no real danger.

Perfect: they can make this into an RPG!

The cast is rounded out by DJ Qualls who plays a stereotypical convicted computer hacker called Rat.

How can you NOT like a film with a geek hero?!

The  Virgil began its journey when it was dropped in the middle of the ocean over the Marianas Trench. This is the deepest part of the ocean and traveling through water is easier than traveling through rock. However, the trench is only about 6.8 miles deep so the distance through water is negligible compared to the total distance of the trip. The Earth's crust is also rather thick in this region since the trench is caused by an oceanic layer sliding under a continental layer of the Earth's crust.

But, Dr Arrogant explained in the film that the core was thinner there!

Apparently, the Virgil was perfectly weighted so that it fell nose down. We're not sure why the  Virgil's ultrasound was needed for boring through water but it was turned on anyway and attracted whales like a silent dog whistle. Inspired by the ultrasound, these great beasts displayed an astonishing ability for deep diving.

I giggled at that, too.

During the trip, the terranauts are in constant radio communication with the surface even when they're thousands of kilometers deep inside a dense and conductive material.

The super-scientists just forgot to explain that bit of technology; I'll bet it's in the Special Edition ...

Later, when it looked like the movie couldn't get any more stupid, the terranauts redefined the standard. They announced that they were inside a giant geode. We were dumbstruck. Its hard to poke fun at a movie which unintentionally trashes itself.

The ship becomes jammed and the terranauts don flimsy-looking spacesuits to go out into the void and unjam the ship.

Rolling on the floor at this point ...

When the terranauts finally reach the core they find it's not as dense as expected and so they don't have enough bombs to start it spinning. It obviously never occurred to the mission planers to send a couple of extra bombs just in case.

I was just watching Ms Swank at this point ...

You're right, though, given a different day, I might very well have panned this for the awful science. But any film that is based on a "ship" that goes to the core of the Earth is not going to be hard science, so I was expecting something fit for Science Theatre 3000. :blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field

Magnetosphere_rendition.jpg

Earth's magnetic field (and the surface magnetic field) is approximately a magnetic dipole, with one pole near the north pole and the other near the geographic south pole. An imaginary line joining the magnetic poles would be inclined by approximately 11.3

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT