Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

Then when we meet a talking deathclaw in the underground levels of a nuclear power plant with lava and ****, we can coerce, joke, admire and boast to it so that it will tell us about a book that was the Deathclaw Family Heirloom and he'd really like to get it back for a hundred caps.

Then we backstab him with a warhammer, place the deathclaws in a sex orgy position via havoc and dance.

And you will buy Fallout 3.

If they use the same engine as Oblivion, true to SPECIAL rules and setting. Oh hell yeah! I would love to see a screaming alpha burn and die dancing in the graphical detail of Oblivion. Or setting the timer of a nuclear bomb, then bravely running away over the hills and through the city and watch from a affar a blossoming mushroom cloud.

oblivion is already havng a little too much of a fps pov for us to want to see the engine repeated for fo3. we want a party and we wants a little more opportunity for tactical sophistication... neither which seems particularly well suited for oblivion engine.

again, the thing that bothered us mostest 'bout oblivion is the fact that after reaching level 13 and having played more than a dozen hours, we had not met one honestly memorable character... which for Gromnir is an unforgivable flaw in a crpg. the quests were better in oblivion than in morrowind, but nothing particularly noteworthy. even so, if we had met some intriguing characters we mighta' stuck it out for the long haul.

but perhaps we did not give the game a fair chance. for those who has played oblivion all the way through, will any of the oblivion characters makes your personal Best NPC Ever list?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've finished the game and can't recall a single remotely memorable character.

Except for Boromir, for the mere fact that he was Boromir. Anyone else would have been irrelevant.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I've finished the game and can't recall a single remotely memorable character.

Except for Boromir, for the mere fact that he was Boromir. Anyone else would have been irrelevant.

I like playing in 3rd person (and top down, for strategic view): that's how I play NwN. It's not really feasible with Oblivion, even though there is a third person pespective, it's kinda impossible to play the combat from that view.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Maybe I've got a better memory than most of you ('scuse me while I laugh my ass off at the notion.) but I remember characters. Even bit characters, for little things like a favorite line or something.

Whenever I hear Owyn (In the Arena) say "He looks like a bit of a dandy." In that voice, I can't help but chuckle about it.

Don't know what it is...but they sort of stay with me.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

How do you fight? :blink:

PS Has anyone managed to dual wield ? Is that just expertise in blade?

There's no dual weilding.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Maybe I've got a better memory than most of you ('scuse me while I laugh my ass off at the notion.) but I remember characters. Even bit characters, for little things like a favorite line or something.

Whenever I hear Owyn (In the Arena) say "He looks like a bit of a dandy." In that voice, I can't help but chuckle about it.

Don't know what it is...but they sort of stay with me.

we thinks you take the "memorable" aspect too literal. memorable carries with it an element o' being worthy of remembrance... is a qualitative aspect. this is why we phrased our query thusly:

"for those who has played oblivion all the way through, will any of the oblivion characters makes your personal Best NPC Ever list?"

for instance, we will have a hard time forgetting the terrible dialogue that patrick stewart had to vomit forth with his character, but he sure as heck not gonna make our list o' favorite npcs any time soon.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we thinks you take the "memorable" aspect too literal.  memorable carries with it an element o' being worthy of remembrance... is a qualitative aspect.  this is why we phrased our query thusly:

"for those who has played oblivion all the way through, will any of the oblivion characters makes your personal Best NPC Ever list?"

for instance, we will have a hard time forgetting the terrible dialogue that patrick stewart had to vomit forth with his character, but he sure as heck not gonna make our list o' favorite npcs any time soon. 

HA! Good Fun!

I did take it a bit too literally, but I must still be easy to please then...my fav. NPC list is probably huge by now.

And his dialogue was awkward, to be sure, but wasn't what I'd call "terrible". There's a fine line between mediocre and "terrible". Bethesda tends to walk this line often...but they always make sure to inch their way back toward the former.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Um...  By using the mouse.  Direct spells are tricky but if you know how to aim right its not that big of a deal.

While combat is probably the same (magic wielding notwithstanding), actually aiming your character with the WASD keys requires a certain degree of ... err ... oblique out-of-body visualization projected onto the PC ... or something ... :ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

While combat is probably the same (magic wielding notwithstanding), actually aiming your character with the WASD keys requires a certain degree of ... err ... oblique out-of-body visualization projected onto the PC ... or something ... :ermm:

It's quite easy, actually. Just requires a bit of hand-eye coordination. :devil:"

- Everlast