Is rap "music"?

thepixiesrock

Ok, so your argument seems to be that spoken words with rhyme and rythm constitutes poetry and not music. If I give you that, will you admit that when they put a beat in it becomes music?

edit: clarified

Edited by Hurlshot

The music industry just wants to make money. And play the latest by-the-numbers Nickelback song three times an hour.

"This is how you remind me that she's just a woman and look at this photograph...."

Terrible.

Between that and the "crunk" revolution, I've stopped listening to the radio. Indie labels are the way to go!

Like this one, although they don't have too much going on anymore.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

TrueNeutral,

the part about melody, if you listen to rap, almost all of it has a melody playing in the background.

Are you even capable of having a simple discussion without acting like a child? You just throw opinion after opinion at us. I mean, you're telling us that anyone who says rap is music needs "a big smack in the face with the 'stop being such a goddamned tool' hammer."

Then you say that a group of people should be wiped off the face of the Earth. "The world would be a better place if their filthy, leeching scum was wiped from the face of the planet." That was a stupid comment.

You are not making any points about rap not being music. Yu just have opinions. Maybe you should show us some facts as to why it isn't, instead of acting like some angsty teenager.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The music industry just wants to make money. And play the latest by-the-numbers Nickelback song three times an hour.

"This is how you remind me that she's just a woman and look at this photograph...."

Terrible.

Between that and the "crunk" revolution, I've stopped listening to the radio. Indie labels are the way to go!

Like this one, although they don't have too much going on anymore.

Commercial rap is largely by the numbers. Bass line, drums, looped sample. Singable hook, 16 lines of non sequitur masturbation. Rinse and repeat. I'm glad crunk became popular - otherwise Dave Chappelle woudln'y have one of my favourite skits.

A common mistake is not realizing that dictionaries only give definitions or: what a word is used for and not what it means. A geek is just a circus performer who performs bizarre acts, whatever the dictionary might say. So please, take your dictionary and scram.

I was just trying to end your hatred of rap because it may cause suffering, and ignorance is a great cause of suffering. So I thought I'd throw in a dictionary to end your suffering. Excuse me for being empathetic. :luck:

Please, lets see your "special" definition of music. :thumbsup:

I think TrueNuetral needs a hug!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Oh geez, technically anything's music to the right listener. Seeing as this is turning into more of a poll than a discussion, I vote no.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

LadyCrimson's got it. It's music, I'll give them that, but not necessarily "good" music. And it's all subjective any way, so what's the point in arguing this?

Also.....I like Nickelback...what I don't like is the repetitive nature of radio stations. Not like I listen anymore, given that my favorite alternative channel was recently changed to oldies, and the only other station I'd even consider listening to is slowly changing into light zombie rock...you know...the electronica stuff with some guy who can't carry a tune to save his life. o:)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Music can be defined.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Look at you, with your Pixies avatar. Tee,hee.

Music can be defined.

As was illustrated earlier in the thread...but that definition can be argued, as dictionaries are nothing but a collection of terms and their meanings...according to the publishers, not all of society. o:)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Also.....I like Nickelback...

You are immediately disqualified from dicussing any elements of culture.

Rap, is like just about any other form of music today, the bulk of the good stuff doesn't get radio play, and then people make assumptions that whats on MTV is all there is to offer. I had written off rap a couple of years ago, but then a girlfriend at the time was really into underground hip hop like Blackalicious and AC Alone.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

And most of the things you here at MTV aren't even poetry (therefore, not even rap, despite what they might want to tell you). The most heinous thing about rap is, though, the people who listen to it. Chavs and gangstas. The world would be a better place if their filthy, leeching scum was wiped from the face of the planet. And nobody would have to listen to Eminem talk about his **** again.

This is just the most ignorant statement that has been said on this thread.

So you are saying that there are no educated, successful people or professionals that listen to rap?

Talk about letting your personal feelings on the matter get in the way of logic. Just because you don't like rap doesn't mean it isn't music or that only gangsters and thugs listen to it. That comment alone shows just how clueless you really are about rap.

Not all rap is "gangster rap." A common misconception. I suggest doing your homework first before you blurt fallacious and offensive blanket statements.

image002.gifLancer