Is rap "music"?

thepixiesrock

And most of the things you here at MTV aren't even poetry (therefore, not even rap, despite what they might want to tell you). The most heinous thing about rap is, though, the people who listen to it. Chavs and gangstas. The world would be a better place if their filthy, leeching scum was wiped from the face of the planet. And nobody would have to listen to Eminem talk about his **** again.

This is just the most ignorant statement that has been said on this thread.

So you are saying that there are no educated, successful people or professionals that listen to rap?

Talk about letting your personal feelings on the matter get in the way of logic. Just because you don't like rap doesn't mean it isn't music or that only gangsters and thugs listen to it. That comment alone shows just how clueless you really are about rap.

Not all rap is "gangster rap." A common misconception. I suggest doing your homework first before you blurt fallacious and offensive blanket statements.

90% of it is crap and there has to be some research that listening to it lowers your IQ :wub: .

I think what bugs me the most is the people you see who listen to it (majority). The crap that spawns from it (wiggers, 13 yr wannabeGs, and dave chapelle) pisses me off more than the music.

And most of the things you here at MTV aren't even poetry (therefore, not even rap, despite what they might want to tell you). The most heinous thing about rap is, though, the people who listen to it. Chavs and gangstas. The world would be a better place if their filthy, leeching scum was wiped from the face of the planet. And nobody would have to listen to Eminem talk about his **** again.

This is just the most ignorant statement that has been said on this thread.

So you are saying that there are no educated, successful people or professionals that listen to rap?

Talk about letting your personal feelings on the matter get in the way of logic. Just because you don't like rap doesn't mean it isn't music or that only gangsters and thugs listen to it. That comment alone shows just how clueless you really are about rap.

Not all rap is "gangster rap." A common misconception. I suggest doing your homework first before you blurt fallacious and offensive blanket statements.

90% of it is crap and there has to be some research that listening to it lowers your IQ :wub: .

I think what bugs me the most is the people you see who listen to it (majority). The crap that spawns from it (wiggers, 13 yr wannabeGs, and dave chapelle) pisses me off more than the music.

Do you like country music?

image002.gifLancer

Also.....I like Nickelback...

You are immediately disqualified from dicussing any elements of culture.

Sorry to break it to you, but having an opinion that differs from yours doesn't make me any less qualified to judge cultural elements than you. :wub:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

That is usually the case, but for you and Nickelback, we can make an exception.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

IMO, rap is not music...it is expression.

it can be incorporated into music (some songs have brief raps in them)

and I think that is where it has its most potential.

the music industry sell cds to kids who are angry at society and don't want to listen to mom and dad. rock used to be the vehicle of choice for this kind of angst. now, it is rap. because, while mom and dad may actually like rock nowadays, they probably don't like rap.

it is the rebellion vehicle of choice...that's not to say that there isn't some decent stuff out there...but not really my cup of tea.

I think one thing that some people are getting confused with is that we aren't talking about if the people who make rap are musicians or not, we are talking about if the rap itself is music.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

You, you would say that.

I'll never take me alive!

Magneto!

That is usually the case, but for you and Nickelback, we can make an exception.

Actually, i'm sorry to say that having no taste still qualifies one for an opinion.

My feelings hurt.... :'(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I happen to disagree.

I consider myself fairly educated and well read and I consider rap music and there are quite a number of artists that I do like. I use music from Enimen and Ice T as inspirational music for my campaigns and the stories I write. Then again I also listen to Enya, Mercedes Lackey, and Enigma so I could be considered "sub-human." :-

I happen to disagree.

I consider myself fairly educated and well read and I consider rap music and there are quite a number of artists that I do like.  I use music from Enimen and Ice T as inspirational music for my campaigns and the stories I write.  Then again I also listen to Enya, Mercedes Lackey, and Enigma so I could be considered "sub-human."  :-

Like I said, there are many successful/educated people that listen to rap. I know a lot of fellow students/colleagues who listen to rap and are in no way close to being thugs or gangsters...lol

I , myself, am an aerospace engineer and planetary scientist.. I can't be that stupid.. :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks that there is some correlation between intelligence and preferred choice of music, probably isn't too smart themselves...Either that or they have some really bad case of the "holier-than-thou" attitude.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

One reason why I like rap so much is that the beat makes you want to dance to it (assuming you know how). You just can't boogie to classical, country or even rock, the same way you can to rap. In this sense, rap is not only great to listen to , but unlike other genres, great to dance to as well. Such wonderful versatility that rap has! :)

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer