Gaming Monitors

~Di

My precious 4-year-old 19" monitor bit the big one today. Just wouldn't light up. Am now using a cruddy old 17" that cannot tell the difference between blue and gray.

I hope to be able to get my ViewSonic repaired, but if I can't I'll be faced with choosing another old-style tube monitor or going with slim, fancy LCD. I'm not in love with heavy and clunky, mind you, and enjoy the light-weight look of the flat LCD's, but have heard they have a very short life and are not very good for game playing.

Can y'all give me some feedback and advice? I'd appreciate it.

TFT LCDs are a lot better than CRTs in my opinion. I can definitely notice a big difference. You have to get one with a refresh rate under 10ms though or you'll notice a lot of ghosting whilst playing FPS or other fast paced games.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

No love for analog flat screens? I love this thing.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

The newer LCD monitors are just as impressive in terms of resolution and refresh rate as a CRT monitor. Lifespan shouldn't be an issue either. If you can afford it, it's definitely worth it. They are about twice the price of a CRT, but there are high quality ones for $300 now.

Wolf I totally dig your avatar.

Thanks. :)

And nice Kim ya got there. :shifty:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I have a CRT, it cost $250 for a 19inch Samsumg flatscreen monitor. I'd say if you have the room to spare get a CRT, its not like their screen quality is bad, the only difference is that LCD's are more expensive and smaller.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

The best thing about TFT monitors is you can push them all the way back on the desk and avoid eye strain. Plus it fits in a suitcase. :shifty: And it's fun to tap the screen and watch the ripple during long loading periods.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thanks so much for the feedback! One monitor we are considering is the ViewSonic Widescreen 19" LCD... has anyone used a Widescreed LCD for gaming? Does it look good, or are there black strips on the sides to fill in beyond the standard game-screen size?

...one thing e'en good gamin' (low response time) LCD monitors ain't good fer is playin' games at non-native resolutions; the native resolution fer most 17" & 19" LCDs bein' 1280x1024...a big thing ta ponder upon if'n yer still givin' yer ol' classics theys play e'er once in awhile (hence the reason I got the 19" ViewSonic G90fB crt; I couldna bring meself ta 'ave a monitor that wouldna gimme the best outta me ol' IE classics)... :wub:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Wide screen monitors can be problematic. Most games do have unofficial support, however. LCDs, imo, are now ready for prime-time gaming. Fwiiw, Di, this is what I went with when my 21" CRT gave up the ghost: http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor...l/de19psqaq.asp

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

lord knows that we generally loathe viewsonic... but the g90fb is a very good and very affordable monitor... one of the best dollar:quality 19" gaming crts we has seen.

on the other hand, di might keep in mind that a 19" lcd actually got more viewable area than a 19" crt. if size matters.

disturbing.

not immediately disagreeing with sargy feels... wrong. however, as this is technical advice maybe we can bear the realization.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

not immediately disagreeing with sargy feels... wrong.

HA! Good Fun!

...sad thing be that we's in agreement again...truly a sad day, indeed... :wub:

Great info, thanks so much. Fionavar, I particularly enjoyed browsing the site you posted.

I've decided widescreen probably isn't for me, not being a techie-geek and all. Main decision is whether to go LCD or stay with a huge, heavy-but-reliable-for-all-my-games CRT. CRT seems the safest way to go; cheaper, easier to use, might even be able to afford a 21" (Yes, Grommy, size DOES matter!). But lord they weigh a ton and I have to find muscle-bound rent-a-boys to haul the danged thing around so husby's back won't dislocate on him again.

Hmmm, perhaps I have made my decision? *evil grin*

Nah. Muscle-bound rent-a-boys are fleeting; solid gaming is forever!

Keep the feedback coming!

...if you do decide to go wit' the LCD, Di, dunna e'en look at one wit' less than an 8 ms gtg & 20 ms bwb response time (preferably a 16 ms bwb response time or lower)... :devil:

*looks down*

I've been using this Hitachi cm828 since, well for years. My friend got me back into computers by showing me Photoshop 4 or 5 and he had this model monitor. He'd bought two of them for around $1400 a piece and didn't think twice about the price. He still uses those monitors and I have to say I agree, I have no issues with this monitor besides maybe the size and weight of the thing which pales in light of it's plusses. Just buy a bigger desk.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

I used to have a Mitsubishi Diamondscan 230 22" CRT monitor and it was glorious, but when I moved countries recently I swapped to a Samsung 930BF LCD (4ms!) and I can't say I'll be going back to CRT anytime soon.

There's no motion blur or any problems with this screen compared to older LCD models. I'm much happier to recommend LCDs for gaming now I've been using this baby then those I saw a few years ago the last time I was in the monitor market.

As someone else said, just look for <8ms and you should be fine.

Edited by DemonKing