Yet another NWN2 Interview - Teh Protagonist!

Llyranor

Like content or wit?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Alignment shifts is good big deal where it came from. If you do evil deeds than your shift in alignment should represent that.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Who care's if it's new, old, or in between... it's an awesome game concept  (w00t)

It's a great concept but as a standalone element it's of little value to both the game or to the player. For the game, it's only about rounding up the number of times you've made certain choices and then present an arbitrary quality or title based on them; for the player, it's just a way to see how the game categorizes the character's mindset based on his or her actions... But that's where it mostly ends. I'd expect an alignment shift to have deeper reactions other than a different title in my character's sheet.

I'd expect an alignment shift to have deeper reactions other than a different title in my character's sheet.

Example?

Like party NPCs noticing your alignment and reacting accordingly. This can be a simple reaction based on a static alignment, or a dynamic reaction based on a character's alignment changes. Ideally, it should be a combination of both alignment and the PC's actions.

Another example would be to try and firmly establish the notion that an alignment is more than just a title - and is actually the character's morality - by making the character react according to his alignment more often. Someone who is evil likely has very little reason to perform good deeds or make selfless choices, for instance, and this could result in, say, giving him more options based on alignment rather than generic good, evil or neutral choices.

"Like party NPCs noticing your alignment and reacting accordingly. This can be a simple reaction based on a static alignment, or a dynamic reaction based on a character's alignment changes. Ideally, it should be a combination of both alignment and the PC's actions.

Another example would be to try and firmly establish the notion that an alignment is more than just a title - and is actually the character's morality - by making the character react according to his alignment more often. Someone who is evil likely has very little reason to perform good deeds or make selfless choices, for instance, and this could result in, say, giving him more options based on alignment rather than generic good, evil or neutral choices."

You don't seem to udnerstand how D&D alignment works.

1. Alignment isn't a shiny beacon that everyone cna see so to have reactiosn based on alignment in all but the rarest cases (detetc alignment using casters/paladins, angels, and demons) would be silly.

2. Alignment can change so to not allow someone with a good alignment commit an evil act and 'fall from grace' is silly. Alignment is not static. It's not permenant unless the character continually acts his alignemnt. Tru, one rarely changes their moral code in drastic ways; but it is very possible.

A paladin shouldn't be aribitrally stopped form committing murder; but if he does choose to committ murder will he should suffer the consequences of such an action.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Alignment isn't a shiny beacon that everyone cna see so to have reactiosn based on alignment in all but the rarest cases (detetc alignment using casters/paladins, angels, and demons) would be silly.

On the other hand, when alignment change dynamically, your character is known to prefer certain alignment choices, and your party will know you are evil if you do evil things. But it really is not tied with alignment but rather with change of it, though.

Another way would be indirect influence. If your character is famous enough (or at least known to a group of people), other characters could potentially figure your alignment, so the social environment in general can have a biased reaction based on your alignment.

Edited by Diamond

You don't seem to udnerstand how D&D alignment works.

You don't seem to understand what was in my post.

1. Alignment isn't a shiny beacon that everyone cna see so to have reactiosn based on alignment in all but the rarest cases (detetc alignment using casters/paladins, angels, and demons) would be silly.

This is why I've said:

Ideally, it should be a combination of both alignment and the PC's actions.

Because alignment, being a character's morality should influence his decisions.

2. Alignment can change so to not allow someone with a good alignment commit an evil act and 'fall from grace' is silly.

Of course a character's choices shouldn't be exclusively restricted to his or her alignment, one of the reasons being that any sense of free will would be severely limited. That's why I said characters should react according to their alignment more often, not always; and said they should be given more options based on alignment rather than generic good, evil or neutral choices, not that all choices which go against their alignment should be removed.

Thanks for playing.

Edited by Role-Player

I agree that alignment (even a dynamic alignment) should have consequences...ideally, such consequences could include: convo options change, factions (that you can join) change, certain spells and/or spell-like powers become easier or harder to do, etc.

But alignment also has a cousin called "reputation" which, I think, should be used whenever a dynamic alignment is used. Basically, factions are the key...if the game has joinable factions, then reputation almost has to be seperate from alignment.

Alignment is who you are and, for the most part, this is not something that can be determined on the surface. Reputation is who people think you are and definitely affects how others react to you.

I'd love for alignment to have a real in game effect, such as certain quest options changing based on your alignment.

Do too much evil and you start getting more kill options, rather than capture/release.

And different sidequests based on your alignment.

For instance a "good" character gets neutral and good ones.

Do too many neutral and you start to shift to neutral....

Then you have neutral characters who can get good, neutral and evil ones... which can make it shift one way or the other.

This way a good character can't do evil quests to make them evil (which makes no sense since you're good) but can slowly slide to neutral (and thus giving them the option)

And evil characters can't do good quests for instant redemption (but can work their way up)

I hope that made sense :)