Was it worth it?

Was KOTOR II really worth the cost it took to develop the game, market it, and sell it? I mean, come on! The game is barely complete and they still sold it! If you are going to sell someting, then why don't you finish it! I work for my self, and if you are going to do a job, and you want to keep on doing it, then you do it well! Just a thought.

(Marine Axiom)

Sweat Dries

Blood Clots

Bones Heal

SUCK IT UP!

Bottom line: it sold reasonably well. That should answer whether it was "worth it" or not.

If unfulfilled potential is all we judge games on, then 99% of games out there weren't "worth it".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Bottom line: it sold reasonably well.  That should answer whether it was "worth it" or not.

If unfulfilled potential is all we judge games on, then 99% of games out there weren't "worth it".

That logic is flawed. it can sell well but still suck. The fans go crazy about the release of something and than find out it's not what they had hoped. Something that doesn't sell well in the beginning may gain fan fare later because it's a good game.

Bottom line: it sold reasonably well.  That should answer whether it was "worth it" or not.

That logic is flawed. it can sell well but still suck. The fans go crazy about the release of something and than find out it's not what they had hoped. Something that doesn't sell well in the beginning may gain fan fare later because it's a good game.

They asked was it worth it from the developers' point of view. I answered with that in mind, since from a developer's standpoint as long as something sells well it is "worth it".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Guest The Architect

You know this is all pure fantasy speak but if somehow the majority of us knew before hand that this game was incomplete, then there could of been a major boycott of this game. Then people could of emailed LucasArts etc telling them that they will only sell lots of copies if they let Obsidian finish the game and bring out the proper originally planned version of the game.

Just guessing here:

A new company getting experience for a new team (check)

The management get to know other publishers than Interplay (check)

Getting some money on the bank, enabling growth and hopefully some room for experimentation (check)

Getting the employees the opportunity to add something to their resumees, whether it be art, music, modelling, whatever (check)

Having Feargus make coffee for you (check)

Playing UT2004 and BF2 at work (check)

Get to watch E3 babes live (check)

Could probably add a few more items to the list.

Should be worth it, crunch time, rabid community members etc. included...

;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yep, it was worth it...and then some.

I don't think it was worth the price it sold at, but I do think it was worth a good hundred play throughs...

If you have played it 100 times then most likely the price you paid for it was a bargain.

I have played it through 47 times. I still get something out of it. I will play it one night, then I will not touch it for weeks. So I get something out of it. >_<:huh:

(Marine Axiom)

Sweat Dries

Blood Clots

Bones Heal

SUCK IT UP!

47 times?? :ermm: I thought playing a little over 20 times was good.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

perhaps i could answer your question with another was fable worth it? many games have much potential and fail to achieve all of it, kotor 1 was viewed better because we had nothing to compare it too and with the ending it gave it would be hard for any game to come up with a sequal that compares to such a great game, kotor2 is a good game and it was worth it because it continued the story line hopefully future games with a kotor slogan will do a better job with the ending i must agree it wasnt fulfilling to me

Selling well usually means it was worth it from developers/makers view but I think that may change depending on the effect of it's reputation.

It could be that it wasn't worth it in the long term...we'll have to wait and see.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I played it once, and I still find it worth it. 47 times? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I haven't played nay games 47 times except maybe one of the best games ever known as MEGAMANIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Selling well usually means it was worth it from developers/makers view but I think that may change depending on the effect of it's reputation.

It could be that it wasn't worth it in the long term...we'll have to wait and see."

Don't need to wait, and see. It was worth it to them. it sold 1 mil+ copies. They have NWN2 coming out which will also sell 1 mil+ copies. PNJ will also likely sell well (but not as well as either NWN2 or KOTOR2) since it is not based on a popualr license nor is it a sequel to a popular game.

KOTOR2 had good reviews, good sales, and lots of rewards or nominations. Most definitely was worth it for Obsidian.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.