Whatever happened to F.E.A.R ?

Kaftan Barlast

Heh. I used to not be a FPS fan at all. Didn't see the appeal of games like Quake or Doom back in the day. I was very into the Jedi Knight series, though, but that purely for the lightsaber combat - guns were only for losers.

The UT2k4 demo changed all that. Assault and Onslaught gamemodes really got me into the game, even making me forget that I didn't like FPS. Awesome vehicle implementation didn't hurt, either. This is pretty much one of the best demos ever released.

So yeah, my ATI video card came with a free voucher for Half-Life 2. I didn't care before then, but now I was looking forward to it. The voucher gave free access to HL1 and its mods, too, so I got to try those out. The genre wasn't bad. My reflexes weren't bad. I was enjoying the games.

Half-Life 2 didn't disappoint when it finally got out, either. I really got into Counterstrike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source, particularly on the http://www.tacticalgamer.com servers, where it's not just silly run-&-gun, but each team is fully focused on communication (thanks to the built-in VoIP) and teamwork, through relatively complex plans and tactics. It's this kind of tactical teamplay that really got me into the genre, I'd say. Like I mentioned, my reflexes aren't bad, and I do pretty decently. However, what I didn't like too much about CSS and DoDS was that reflexes could get *in the way* of good tactics. Some people like this type of balance, but I don't enjoy the opportunity to be able to go rambo and murderize the entire enemy team through sheer 'skill', despite their having a better plan - even if I'm on the giving end of the ramboing.

Nick pointed me in the right direction. Operation: Flashpoint. Pretty old game, a 'FPS', if you will - but labelling it such doesn't do it justice. A realistic military simulator would be more accurate, perhaps. I played the demos and quickly got hooked in. I can't really go back to 'standard' FPS games anymore, not when I can get better tactical teamplay elsewhere. This is why I'm really looking forward to Armed Assault, which should be due later this year, from the makers of OFP.

Hmm, oh yeah, my point. Er, yeah, I played the FEAR demo. Quite fun, actually. Bullet time, good atmosphere, decent AI. Seems like a good FPS. Not something I'd buy, though.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

FEAR is a standard FPS game that mixes straight up combat againt mercs and some various machines with little dream/halluncination bits that contain some grotesque sounds/images.

I don't mean that in a bad way either.  Its quite fun, but its not particulalrly bloody or ghoulish any more than standard FPS fare.  Its certainly less so than a SOF or Hitman.

I actually thought it was worse than those two...and I've played both...maybe because it's better in terms of graphics, and the parts are done in a more memorable way. It's much more.....personal.

I just wished the nail gun did more gory damage, I'd feel more satisfied when nailing those fools to the wall.

Ive been playing FEAR for quite a while now and apart from not being very scary, it has a severe problem with how the guns fire.

The firing sequence is programmed so that whenever you tap the mouse, a preset number of shot fires. This makes it impossible to control your fire properly and is very frustrating. Not only does it make it much harder to conserve ammo but when shooting at long range it decreases accuracy as the shots scatter uncontrollably at full auto fire.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sounds like an interesting game. I read the reviews in a pc gaming magazine and it gave it a high grade. Whenever I have free time I'll have to buy it, among other games, and give it a try.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Has anyone mentioned yet that F.E.A.R. basically smashes together every played horror cliche of the past few years and puts it in an FPS?  Because that's what I came into the thread to do!

It doesn't do it very well either!

It is however a pretty fun FPS nonetheless. A tad reptitive in places, but what FPS isn't?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

F.E.A.R. managed to scare me more than Doom3 did. It also did some things that no other fps has done really well, like bullet time, and the environmetnal damage. AI is relatively supurb.

And Kaftans pet peeve about the click once fires 3 shots, well most guns have that as one a selection in fire rate I think it's more authentic than the everything being semiauto.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The little scary black-haired girl became unscary after like.. 5 minutes. That's when I realized that she was made of dust and vaporized everytime I got too close. After that I just didn't care and the horror effects felt obtrusive and lame.

The AI is what's saving the game though. I don't think I've ever experienced such intense firefights where it really feels like the enemy WANTS YOU DEAD NO MATTER WHAT before. And the mayhem and destruction that ensues once the combat starts! Just wow.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Has anyone mentioned yet that F.E.A.R. basically smashes together every played horror cliche of the past few years and puts it in an FPS?  Because that's what I came into the thread to do!

I think the "horror" parts of FEAR are too inane to deserve mention. Just waking up in the morning is a far scarier than anything that game throws at you.

And Kaftans pet peeve about the click once fires 3 shots, well most guns have that as one a selection in fire rate I think it's more authentic than the everything being semiauto.

Some weapons like the M16A2 feature a 3-round burst mode In reality, yes. But that you cant fire single shots or controlled bursts in FEAR is because the developers could not make accomplish code that made it possible to adjust the number of rounds fire by clicking and holding the mouse button and at the same time get the sound effects match the rate of fire.

Its like how old FPS games like Soldier of Fortune didnt feature a steady rate of automatic fire (ratatatatata) because the program wouldnt repeat the audio evenly, creating this strange staccato gunfire (rat..tat.tat....tat....tatat..tat)

..and yes, this is and has always been a huge pet peeve of mine.

p.s

Battlefield 2 has a really great firing system, it allows perfect control and a really nice gun feeling.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I agree it really isn't all that scary if you really look at it, but the times when it actually shines are when the damned girl pops out of a darkened hall way you're walking into, or when she grabs your shoulder, slides around, and is not five inches from your face.

It's the sort of thing that makes you go "OH ****!!!" at the moment it happens, back pedal, and fire wildly in the general direction of the offending spirit.

Or at least that's what I did......first time I saw the girl (First demo playthrough), I unloaded on her with half a clip from my SMG.

Things like that prove to me, beyond a reasonable doubt, that I don't belong on a battlefield. Odds are I'd end up fragging some poor kid who spooks me. :huh:

Edit: And I never really noticed the gun's, Kaftan. I can hit things just fine. Accuracy hasn't been a problem. Short, controlled bursts and what-not.

Though, I agree, the ability to change firing modes would have been appreciated.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Sorry...:huh:

But...Trust me, you still won't be expecting them. I didn't tell you precise times, after all.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast