Whatever happened to F.E.A.R ?

Kaftan Barlast

FEAR is too slow, if it stutters with dual 7800s then it will probably stutter no matter what kind of monster graphics card you use ad that is completely unacceptable. It doesnt even look that good to me, the displacement mapped models and the speculars look good and thats about it.

Hl2 wasnt exactly all that either, some parts of some levels like the raven place looked straight out of 1999 in some places. And Ill quote John Carmack

"Hl2 has still got some pieces of the original Quake left in it"

in reference to the programming code.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I meant that whereas engines like D3/Q4 and FEAR are written from scratch, Hl2 builds on older technology from another developer. This is part of what makes it able to run on slower machines but makes it harder to implement new features.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I also like the fact that the game character is actually rendered in engine, meaning that HE actually casts a shadow.  I haven't played Quake IV, so maybe they changed this, for that version (in addition to no shadows on character models).

For both Doom 3 and Quake 4 you can alter an ini setting so your character casts a shadow. Being that you have no body, however, it doesn't quite look right when you can see that your shadow isn't attached to anything.

As for my performance in FEAR, I play it with a 6800 GT, 1.5 GB of RAM, and my crusty old AMD 2000, and it runs great at 1024x768 with no AA (aa turns off the pretty soft shadow effect) and all the other settings maxed out.

I meant that whereas engines like D3/Q4 and FEAR are written from scratch, Hl2 builds on older technology from another developer. This is part of what makes it able to run on slower machines but makes it harder to implement new features.

There are some standard pieces of code and programming techniques that persist regardless the time. Carmack's statement about HL2 having Quake code hints that programmers had written very maintainable and reusable code.

Also, reused old code does not necessarily mean running on slower machines and difficult implementation of new features (usually it means slower AND harder to implelent new features :p )

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Me neither, which is weird as I generally enjoy intensity and, as I understood, it's story and thematic elements were a mix between Akira and Silent Hill, both of which I enjoy.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Get the second Silent Hill. It's one of the few games I can call disgusting, but it's loathsome and icky in a good way. Also, it's curiously mature storywise, which is uncanny from a Japanese game. Eh, it's not that I don't enjoy FF or the like, but calling them deep or meaningful is kind of off.

kirottu said:

Monolith has the talent, they've shown it in NOLF and NOLF2, they also have shown their capable of making flops like Contract Jack

I remember when NOLF2 came out, the system requirements were also a killer, but the game still rocked! ANd it looked awesome. :)

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

FEAR is too slow, if it stutters with dual 7800s then it will probably stutter no matter what kind of monster graphics card you use ad that is completely unacceptable. It doesnt even look that good to me, the displacement mapped models and the speculars look good and thats about it.

That was the biggest problem.

I remember the devs claiming "If your system can run HL2, then it can run FEAR."

Oh man, how wrong they were.

It's pretty stupid that they would release a game only a small majority of PC users would be able to get the best out of... well, only a very small majority could play it with acceptable frame rates.

I personally play FEAR using TV out to gain free AA and the ability to run it at 800x600 without it looking like crap. Though all my other options are at Max and my AA/AF is only at 4/4... I still get stuttering. It's ridiculous.

FEAR was good, really really good. It had a good AI but what really impressed me was the sense that you were the character when you walked down a ladder you would physically see your turn around, when you get up from a fall you could see how you got up. More then that FEAR had really good weapon mechanics they aren't just rehashes of the same old formula of pistol, shotgun, machine gun, etc, even when they were there changes on the old formula, such as letting you akimbo pistols. To that there was also the inclusion of physical attacks beyond hitting the enemy with the blunt end of your gun (kicking them). The other thing was FEAR had really good sound effects.

The AI was of course really good, sometimes they would roll out of windows or kick overf tables to create cover but it was definitely the interaction and more then that the strong emphasis on story telling that did it for me. We haven't seen alot of FPS' that puts such a emphasis on storytelling besides Half Life in awhile.

I played FEAR on a AMD 64 bit 3200+ with 1 gig of ram, 6800 on 1024x768 with 2xx AA and nearly everything set to max and the game ran fine until the end when it started lagging so I had to tone it down to 800x600

Edited by EUIX

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

To run F.E.A.R. properly you need more then 1gb of memory.

My system consists of an Athlon 64 3700+, a GeForce 7800 GT and 2Gb of memory, and the game runs flawless in all the hightest settings.

I have a friend with pretty much the same system (3500+, 7800 GT and 1gb of RAM) and the game performs poorly on all levels on similar settings...

Edited by Lyric Suite

To run F.E.A.R. properly you need more then 1gb of memory.

My system consists of an Athlon 64 3700+, a GeForce 7800 GT and 2Gb of memory, and the game runs flawless in all the hightest settings.

I have a friend with pretty much the same system (3500+, 7800 GT and 1gb of RAM) and the game performs poorly on all levels on similar settings...

I can see this. I guess I should go for the 1GB upgrade. It stutters even with low resolution with only 1GB of ram. :/

I rarely play games at max settings.

This is one of those games thats only as good as it looks... >.>

The biggest advantage of FSAA comes with resolution limitations.  Such as flatpanel or widescreen monitors.

Agreed, and I do play on a 1280-native flat panel. Also, I absolutely cannot tolerate even the slightest amount of aliasing. ;) I don't know why. It just gets on my nerves. Any resolution other than the native 1280 looks like garbage on my monitor, so I'm stuck at that resolution. In fact, when I was hunting for a monitor, the only reason I chose my 19" PVA to a superior 20" S-IPS was because the 20" had a 1600 native resolution, and I was sure I couldn't get a lot of games games to run smooth at that resolution with any amount of AA.

I also have 2 gigs RAM and FEAR runs perfect with all option smax at 1024*768 even on my aging 9800 Pro and now no-longer what it used to be P4 3.4.

I never run anything higher than 1024*768 since it looks good enough at that res. I also never run lower than 102*768 cause 3d games start to look like crap below that.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Also, I absolutely cannot tolerate even the slightest amount of aliasing. :blink:  I don't know why. It just gets on my nerves.

Im exactly the same, in fact I become angry at people who run without AA. I refuse to play games with less than 4xAA. Aliasing is extremely annoying.

In fact, Im very hesitant to buy a screen larger than 17" because its more visible the larger it is. I used to have 21", that was torture.

3dgraphics-aliasing.jpg

edges that shold be smooth, but are jagged.

Also, I absolutely cannot tolerate even the slightest amount of aliasing. :blink:  I don't know why. It just gets on my nerves.

Im exactly the same, in fact I become angry at people who run without AA. I refuse to play games with less than 4xAA. Aliasing is extremely annoying.

In fact, Im very hesitant to buy a screen larger than 17" because its more visible the larger it is. I used to have 21", that was torture.

I can't say I've ever even noticed. I guess that shows how important the graphics are to me.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Got radscorpion? :blink: