"Bringing balance to the force"

Blank

isn't "bring balance to the force" illogical?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. isn't "bring balance to the force" illogical?

• i agree
    • i disagree

Here is why i say it is illogical. Why would any LS jedi want to bring balance to the force? I would want to bring extreme imbalance to the force in the favour of my alignment. i've never heard anybody talk about this fallacy before, so i wondered what others would think of it.

Lara... :p

On topic: I guess the 'balance' does not refer to anyone's alignment. Perhaps it's more like 'balance with the force' or 'at one with the force'. You will have to ask George though.

i could ask him, he would just never answer. and he probably wouldn't recieve my question. lol.

I don't know, though your explanation is mediocre, it is still an explanation. it just seems like when the jedi council is talking about "the one who will bring balance to the force", they are not talking about a personal connection to the force and it seems more to me like they are talking of a secret weapon prophecy, like Neo.

Edited by Blank

I don't know, though your explanation is mediocre, it is still an explanation. it just seems like when the jedi council is talking about "the one who will bring balance to the force", they are not talking about a personal connection to the force and it seems more to me like they are talking of a secret weapon prophecy, like Neo.

Are you talking about Anakin? (Sorry, not a SW buff. Only seen Episode III. :"> )

Are you talking about Anakin? (Sorry, not a SW buff. Only seen Episode III. :"> )

yes

A few things to keep in mind:

In the movies, there's no such thing is as light side of the Force. It is never mentioned. There's only talk about the Force, and the dark side of the Force.

i think the word "jedi" is what constitutes the LS. because that is the closest thing they say. but they never say "dark jedi" because then it wouldn't be a jedi.

Here is why i say it is illogical. Why would any LS jedi want to bring balance to the force? I would want to bring extreme imbalance to the force in the favour of my alignment. i've never heard anybody talk about this fallacy before, so i wondered what others would think of it.

Evil wins because good is dumb.

Only a neutral Jedi would concern themselves with balancing the force.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I always thought of it as if Jedi were like druids of a sort and always strived to maintain balance. Not that I've thought about it that much.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I was going to post an image, but I figured why do that when I can link to the whole search?

Random Picture of the week

02-14-05:

Southern Comfort and Hawaiian Punch, just as delicious coming up at 3 in the morning as it was going down at 11 that night.

LOL. And this thread is lame BTW.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I think thats how it's supposed to be seen. Thats the point of the prophecy

I think thats how it's supposed to be seen. Thats the point of the prophecy

I think it's rather dumb to debate potential plot inconsistencies in a Lucas movie, but here's my two cents:

For the Jedi, balance is the removal of the Sith. Why? Because the dark side is unnatural. I'm pretty sure Palpyboy himself backs up that perspective when he tells Anakin that the Sith can do things that people consider unnatural, or something like that. In other words, when there's Dark Siders around, the force is imbalanced.

For the Jedi, balance is the removal of the Sith.  Why?  Because the dark side is unnatural.  I'm pretty sure Palpyboy himself backs up that perspective when he tells Anakin that the Sith can do things that people consider unnatural, or something like that.  In other words, when there's Dark Siders around, the force is imbalanced.

Sure, that could have been their opinion, but they were wrong. Hence "true" balance came to the force.

Not really what he said was they have powers that could be considered unatural.

Just because some may consider something unatural dosnt make it so. I'm sure a force ghost would creep people out just as much as 1000 year old Jedi.

Is there anything natural about force ghosts ? Wouldnt think so.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Not really what he said was they have powers that could be considered unatural.

Just because some may consider something unatural dosnt make it so. I'm sure a force ghost would creep people out just as much as 1000 year old Jedi.

Is there anything natural about force ghosts ? Wouldnt think so.

You're missing my point. When Palpatine said "some consider unnatural," he was referring to the Jedi. The Jedi consider the dark side, and the Sith, to be unnatural; thus, a balance of the Force would result in a removal of the dark side and the Sith, leaving just the Force - as someone pointed out earlier, nobody ever refers to it as the "light side." The Jedi presumably see things in terms of the Force and the dark side of the Force; the Force is natural, the dark side is a perversion.

Edit: Know what? Nevermind. I'm going to go take a long hot shower and pretend I did not just further involve myself in this argument.

Edited by Commissar

In geekanese: Chaos and Order, not Good and Evil.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds