"Bringing balance to the force"

Blank

isn't "bring balance to the force" illogical?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. isn't "bring balance to the force" illogical?

• i agree
    • i disagree

In geekanese: Chaos and Order, not Good and Evil.

No, we're talking about the Jedi and the Sith here. The people who would send a child struggling with the dark side to spend his days hanging around a dictator they suspect of being evil, and the people who would send a man out to kill his son and actually expect him to remain loyal.

In geekanese, that's Lawful Stupid and Chaotic Dumb. :wub:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Won't those both go under "Doesn't Qualify"?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

*thread derailment inc*

My SW lore is weak. In SW3 why didny Obi Wan just wander down a few feet and roll the limbless Anikin into the river of lava. The "Chosen One" had turned to the darkside, he had to know the risks of letting him live. Its a plot hole I cant get over and trust me, Im only there to be entertained by the pretty lights.

*thread derailment inc*

My SW lore is weak. In SW3 why didny Obi Wan just wander down a few feet and roll the limbless Anikin into the river of lava. The "Chosen One" had turned to the darkside, he had to know the risks of letting him live. Its a plot hole I cant get over and trust me, Im only there to be entertained by the pretty lights.

Lawful Stupid! :-"

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

*thread derailment inc*

By not killing him he displayed his own sadistic nature. he injures something then leaves it for dead to suffer. even if he was disgusted by how the situation turned out, that doesn't justify leaving somebody who you once cared about to suffer.

I always thought that Obi-Wan didn't deliver the killing blow because, despite the fact that Anakin had become what Obi-Wan was sworn to destroy, and has turned his back on him, Obi-Wan could not bring himself to kill a friend.

Besides, Anakin was unarmed, and the Jedi don't kill unarmed prisoners. Except for Anakin himself with Dooku, but that's because he's all evil-like.

Here is why i say it is illogical. Why would any LS jedi want to bring balance to the force? I would want to bring extreme imbalance to the force in the favour of my alignment. i've never heard anybody talk about this fallacy before, so i wondered what others would think of it.

Maybe the Jedi are closet dualists, believing that both good and evil have their place in the universe, and neither should be strong enough to eclipse the other. In theory, they should react with equal hostility to someone who attempted to do great good, thus also upsetting the balance.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Maybe the Jedi are closet dualists, believing that both good and evil have their place in the universe, and neither should be strong enough to eclipse the other.  In theory, they should react with equal hostility to someone who attempted to do great good, thus also upsetting the balance.

That sounds like a probable case, but if so, then i don't like the jedi anymore :ph34r:

That sounds like a probable case, but if so, then i don't like the jedi anymore :ph34r:

Well, dualism has been a feature of some heretical Christian groups, so I guess that's understandable, but did you really like them before? The movies show the Jedi as arbiters of justice in a galaxy where justice is all but absent, yet the Jedi remain in their smug arrogance, doing little or nothing. Shiny sticks aside, there's not a lot to commend them.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Maybe the Jedi are closet dualists, believing that both good and evil have their place in the universe, and neither should be strong enough to eclipse the other.  In theory, they should react with equal hostility to someone who attempted to do great good, thus also upsetting the balance.

Sounds about right since they were uncomfortable with being so close to the Rebublic that it was preventing them from doing their job. Seperation of church and state if you like.

I still dont see anything natural about leaping 30 feet in the air or picking up fruit with your mind though :huh:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Obi wan gained some dark side points there, I think.

Since Anakin went crispy the heat if Obi Wan had approached would probably have set him on fire too. Could have force pushed him into the lava though, that would have been my solution.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Nah, never take pleasure in killing.

In the version they wrote for WEG SW He just fell off into the lava but actually landed on a floating rock or something. To all intents and purposes Obi Wan believed him dead. Then again prior to EP III the Jedi purge is something that occurs afterwards.

478327[/snapback]

I have got a question about the Anakin/Obi-wan dual though: why was Anakin so upset when Obi-wan showed up with Padme? Is there some sort of love-triangle going on here?

He obviously thought there was. Throw a bit of a spanner in the works if it turned out Obi Wan was Luke and Leias father wouldnt it.

Vader "Luke about that I am your father bit" :huh:

478327[/snapback]

I don't think Padme is portrayed as a whore but did Obi-wan have feelings for her? Anyone knows?

I don't think so Obi Wan dosnt seem to be interested in any of the films. Would have made an interesting twist too :huh:

478327[/snapback]

I have got a question about the Anakin/Obi-wan dual though: why was Anakin so upset when Obi-wan showed up with Padme? Is there some sort of love-triangle going on here?

i wish... it would have made the story better. Anakin believed that was what was going on, that and maybe more that they were conspirators against the empire he was now a fanatic for. maybe they should have had a scene where Obi cries for Padme when she dies. that would have made it better i think. and have him shown holding back his tears and trying really hard to control his sorrow as jedi would, but then he would break down. that would have gotten Lucas an emmy or two :huh:

I guess then Anakin's jealousy is really uncalled for. I mean even a 16-year-old knows better than to destroy the whole jedi order and messed up the entire galaxy over puppy love.

Love can be as dangerous as religion.

When you are blinded by only the need to save the one you love you dont think of what you are doing you think only of the goal. Thats how Anakin was trapped.

I dont recall being particularly rational when I was 16 :">

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

For 'interesting', read 'cringe-enducing'.  I feel a little better about seeing the film, knowing that at least this attrocity won't be present.  I should finally get to see it in the coming week. :huh:

You know how much George likes to mess around with the finished films. :huh:

478327[/snapback]