Censorship

Gabrielle

Being a moderator does suck, it's a tireless, thankless job...

Did you mean tiresome?

Anyway,

I think, the best way is when a mod is not seen. If you want to participate and mod at the same time, have an alt account. Even if people know that fact (better if they don't, of course) they won't take it as personal as if you engaged in the conversation with a mod account and then locked the thread. It is an emotional thing, but humans are mostly illogical beings.

It all depends on various factors. Some communities suit faceless moderation, others work better when moderators are seen as part of that community.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

With regards to a message board, posting is a privilege not a right so we are subject to the whim of moderators and admin.

With regards to media and public speaking censorship should be avoided up to a point i.e. not inciting hatred and all that.

In the case of an accident or in fact when talking amongst friends or delivering bad news in an informal setting. What would be the point of candor? Its tactless not to censor yourself.

Our government is trying to outlaw incitement to religious hatred, and not doing terribly well at it. The law will come very close to banning all criticism of religious beliefs (criminalising several UK posters on this forum :rolleyes: ), but we're supposed to relax because the government promises not to use the law against normal people, only bad people.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Being an adminstrator of a forum board is a thankless job. Each board has their own set of rules or no rules at all. Being part of a modding community we usually stick around with topics that deal with the game or modding, plus theres a general chat area like WoT here. You could say we have a limited censorship because I will not allow religious, politcal topics there. I've ran other boards before that allowed those topics and it is nothing but trouble. Just go look at the religion topic here. I won't have that headache, go some where else for that stuff.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

we're supposed to relax because the government promises not to use the law against normal people, only bad people.

He.. the old fascist slogan "If youre innocent you have nothing to worry about"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'd like to point out that I really hate tiny text ;)

Loathe it ;)

Highlighting it and cut & pasting it to notepad makes it readable, too.

As to the subject...um...well....censorship sucks, but occasionally (very occasionally) & in some kinds of extreme circumstances, it's useful for keeping things from getting out of hand...at least, if that matters to people...which for some it doesn't. So then you could debate the rights/wrongs of that aspect forever and ever...yawn.

That's about all I have to say. <_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In US at least, free speech is protected by the Constitution as along as it does not undermine national security.

uh, that's not the only exception... in particular, inciting a riot, which has little if anything to do with national security, is considered a crime. the supreme court has regularly held the notion that not all speech is protected, moreso in public fora.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

As far as moderating goes I feel it is excellent that we have challenging discussions here. I've learned a lot from them. But I feel certain viewpoints are beyond the pale; 'contra humanis generis' if you like. Needless cruelty, unreasoning hatred, blind ignorance. These things are bad 'n' wrong.

These types of views should be censored for three reasons

1) People should not be made to feel afraid on any forum, least of all one about playing games for fun. Thus even if a view is transparently rubbish, like a pic of Auschwitz death pits with the caption 'haha hah', it should not be on here.

2) The people who hold these views need to be sent as strong a message as possible that their views are repellent. Hopefully this may make them question said views, or at the very least not build on them. If they feel they are speaking to a silent majority who secretly support their views, they will get worse.

3) If someone reads these repellent views and is of insufficient calibre to see through them, they may start to believe in them. You'd be amazed the rubbish kids will believe. Or at least you would be if you'd never been a teacher.

~~~

I should stress that is my view, and is not some reflection of any other mods.

~~~

I feel this really relates back to a number of prior debates we've had on freedom of speech. I argued then and now that free speech is not, and never has been an absolute, any more than freedom of action is. The essential driving objective of an enlightened society must be the creation and maintenance of some state in its members are free from harm and an unnatural fear of harm.

In the past we have attacked state censorship because it was frequently a barrier to these things being achieved. We need to be free to criticise the Czar's administration because otherwise it will never get better. We need to be free to criticise the flat Earth theory because until we do our ships can't navigate. But under those conditions we didn't see as bad the useful squashing of views devoted to unrest, hatred, and violence. So we wrote laws championing free speech, not seeing they would lay us open to abuse from our fellow citizens.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It seems to me that there isn't enough censorship. It seems to me that the term "liberal" has become a dirty word thanks to the common conservative agenda. Most of the society complains about not knowing what is going on in the government, with the "war," yadda yadda, but even if they did know, they probably wouldn't be able to comprehend the problems, simply because they aren't in that position to make important decisions.

Moreover, some movies these days are pushing the limit on grotesqueness, and frankly from my point of view, obscene. Because of the lack of censorship, I believe that our society has a bloodlust and a overwhelming sense of greed. :)

Edited by the dude

words are weightless here on earth

because they're free

It seems to me that there isn't enough censorship. It seems to me that the term "liberal" has become a dirty word thanks to the common conservative agenda. Most of the society complains about not knowing what is going on in the government, with the "war," yadda yadda, but even if they did know, they probably wouldn't be able to comprehend the problems, simply because they aren't in that position to make important decisions.

Moreover, some movies these days are pushing the limit on grotesqueness, and frankly from my point of view, obscene. Because of the lack of censorship, I believe that our society has a bloodlust and a overwhelming sense of greed.  >_<

You just totally confused me. You are a liberal asking for more censorship?

Also, I think it may be that our greedy bloodlusty nature may be the reason why our democracies are relaxing consorship. We told them to.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.