Jade Empire Bombed

Volourn

JE not doing as well as NWN/KOTOR can have one of many ramifications, but which one Bioware will live by will depend on the success of DA. If DA bombs, it's likely back to Star Wars/D&D for Bio, whereas if DA succeeds, I can see a leaning on Bio's part towards PC games, which would be my biased preference.

There are doors

...and a likely sequel all point to it being at worse a mild success.

You know, the one thing you can guarantee with someone that replies over and over without thinking is that eventually they won't have clue what they are saying. Or were you ameliorating your position as it weakened? This was my point all along. I said "medicore", a zillion posts later you finally get to "mild". Whereas you were maintaining...

...500k copies is the second tier of hits behind the super duper hits that reach 1 mil+

Just a mere hair's breadth from a super-duper-mega-incredible hit, apparently.

'Bye.

I think the real question is whether they are going to do a JE2 since JE was not the overwhelming success they hoped it would be.

I agree that the story was not all that great...let's see: protagonist has a mysterious past, the bad guy is your teacher, there is an evil emperor with a masked sidekick....the masked sidekick finds redemption (of sorts)....hmmm, all sounds familiar

I have heard that the reason the content was a bit short is because they wanted to save some of their ideas for JE2. That makes sense. I like to think this was an introduction to a series of games. If it is, the stories will be better: trust me.

I agree that the story was not all that great...let's see: protagonist has a mysterious past, the bad guy is your teacher, there is an evil emperor with a masked sidekick....the masked sidekick finds redemption (of sorts)....hmmm, all sounds familiar

Thats a strange statement coming from someone who worships at the alter of kotor games

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

to put thing in perspective: Ragnar Tornquist - producer on Dreamfall - recently said the game will have to sell more than 500k units to be profitable. Funcom's dreamfall team is around 35 (norvegian) mans strong and the development began in 2003 (release date should be Q2 2006).

I'm pretty sure JE is a sales disapointment given the marketting push they had from Microsoft. It's in the same situation as the Forza franchise: they had a bad timing for release but the press and gamers liked those games. Microsoft see them as part of Xbox identity and i'm 100% sure they will have a sequel. They know that if they sell more xbox360, they will sell more games, and to sell more consoles they need good exclusive games. ICO also sold 500k copies, most likely didn't make any money, but a sequel will be released this christmas.

...and a likely sequel all point to it being at worse a mild success.

You know, the one thing you can guarantee with someone that replies over and over without thinking is that eventually they won't have clue what they are saying. Or were you ameliorating your position as it weakened? This was my point all along. I said "medicore", a zillion posts later you finally get to "mild". Whereas you were maintaining...

...500k copies is the second tier of hits behind the super duper hits that reach 1 mil+

Just a mere hair's breadth from a super-duper-mega-incredible hit, apparently.

'Bye.

well, to be fair, vol did note that the evidence being presented suggested that AT WORST je were a mild success. is not really the same as saying that a game were mediocre in sales.

*shrug*

'ccording to fergie, pos sales numbers that typically is used when talking' bout how well a game sold only represent 1/2 o' total world sales. so we can probably assume that pos numbers for je were at 250,000 units.

what kinda pos numbers you need to be a success for a major xbox release? heck if Gromnir knows. 250k kicks the arse o' games like fallout and ps:t over same 'mount o' time, but those were pc games. so how do we figure out what is succesful for xbox?

regardless, bioware has this strange capacity for self-delusion that surprises Gromnir given how they otherwise seem so business savy. how many folks utilized the mp aspects o' nwn? how many folks bought je? even so, da developers is gonna spend huge resources on mp aspects and there will probably be a je2.

are you familiar w/ Silverado... 1985 kasdan western. kevin kline plays a character named paden or payden or somesuch. folks who once rode with paden always asks him 'bout "the dog." seems that paden, an otherwise reasonable guy, has this habit o' adopting hopless critters/causes.

Cobb: Well, Tyree was pretty mad when he got up, and, being Tyree, he shot the dog. Didn't kill him, though. The next thing you know, Paden's down off his horse, and he's holdin' this dog, sayin' we should go on without him. I thought he was kidding, except he wasn't. Tyree was ready to plug 'em both - all this with the posse ridin' down on us.

(Paden has entered)

Cobb: I thought we were pals after all that riding we did together. All of a sudden he's worried about some mutt. Well, we did like he asked. We left him, and he went to jail for a dog. You want to hear the funny part? Paden didn't even like that damn dog.

Paden: It evened out in the end. They locked me up; the dog sprung me.

am not sure whether we should applaud bio or mock 'em. they seems reasonable, but somehow they lets themselves get attached to some lousy mutt and they go all ornery & stoopid on us... is the kinda stubborn stoopid Gromnir can appreciate and relate to, but that not make bio any less reckless.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Did I say JE exceeded expecations? Proof please. In fact, my point is that BIO has stated quite clearly (in the linked article) that they are SATISIFED with JE's sales. This is undisputable.

Again, nowhere do i remember saying that JE exceeded expectations. I suggest you rea dmy post on this issue again. All I pointed out was that JE did not bomb, and BIO seems happy with JE's performance

Look at what I quoted in the post you had just responded to:

Then again, this threa disn't about whether or not DA has surpassed its expectations. It's about whether or not JE has. And, according to the BIO rept in linked article, it has.

You state that the BIO rep surpassed expectations.

http://www.synonym.com/definition/exceeded

You'll see that surpass is a synonym of exceed (a synonym is a word that has a similar meaning: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=synonym ). If you were to look a the block of text I was quoting (hint: my responses are usually directly related to the quote directly above that particular block of text), you'd see that you said that the discussion is about whether or not Jade Empire exceeded expectations, and that according to the BIO rep, it did.

Again....check the block of text that I quote, before telling me to read what you said.

Scream all I want. Since we're posting on the 'net in different cities, I doubt I'd hear you

You seem like an intelligent person Volourn. I'm surprised you take everything so literally. Perhaps my assumptions about your intellect were incorrect :\

As for the statement in question, it exists. Perhaps, typing 'Jade Empire' in the search option can find it. Heck, I might as well waste a couple of minutes. 

You cna also check other boards like BIO, or the Codex for my old posts about the subject.

You made the claim, so the burden of proof is on you. Until then you're just making "false statements" (as you like to say).

Where are mods? Close topic plz.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

The problem with NWN's MP is it took time to develop, so a chunk of the initial people who purchased the game only played the main campaign. This is a problem, because the main campaign was slow and pretty boring, but the user created mods and multiplayer servers blossomed into a beautiful thing. So you have a pretty big chunk of people who thought NWN was weak.

There are still a ton of people playing NWN though, and for good cause.

lots of folks used the nwn mp aspects.... Gromnir is one of those folks. we still use it. unfortunately, even according to biowarian numbers the % of total purchasers who used mp were less than 5% of of the 2+ million purchasers of the game.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

lots of folks used the nwn mp aspects.... Gromnir is one of those folks.  we still use it.  unfortunately, even according to biowarian numbers the % of total purchasers who used mp were less than 5% of of the 2+ million purchasers of the game.

HA! Good Fun!

Interesting, considering how big the NWN community is.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't play multiplayer on computer and console games. When I am in the mood to play a computer/console game I want to play by myself and not be bothered by other people. When I want to play a game with people I play PnP RPGs or board games.

I have given MP in NWN a try and its just not for me.

Close topic plz

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Nay. Eru is just malicious...

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES: