Does Revan's fate make any sense?

To go back to Moth's question about the sales. K1 set some kind of a record for X-box sales at the time. Something like 270,000 copies in 2 weeks. It should have had better sales than K2.

Part about spammy topic deleted -Battlewookiee

Edited by Battlewookiee

Thanks, julianw.

So, money aside, I've wondered since finishing K2 the first time is why exactly he had to do it by himself? Why couldn't he take anyone with him? And what will his role be when he comes back? If he's LS, he's most likely going to help the Republic against the True Sith, but as a DS, I can't tell for sure what he'll do then. Unless the game goes with the 'canonical' plot and has Revan a LS person anyway. That might anger some fans, but it sure would make continuation easier.

Post pruned... several notes to old post deleted -Battlewookiee

Boy! This thread has gone off-topic.

To go back to Moth's question about the sales. K1 set some kind of a record for X-box sales at the time. Something like 270,000 copies in 2 weeks. It should have had better sales than K2.

The original KOTOR sold 270,000 copies in a few weeks and around 600,000 copies by four months. So yeah, K1 probably has more sales than K2.

Back to the topic, please people.... if you have nothing to say about Revan's fate just be silent.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Seeing what happened to Revan, what will happen to the Exile? Hopefully there's still some hope for her

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Wow thanks Battlewookie. I thougt my thread is doomed forever... :lol:

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I think Revan's fate is symbolical...the one who can save the galaxy! (w00t)

Exile take place only in second plan... :ph34r:

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that TSL would be much more satysfying if Revan's Problem got solved in it, instead of inventing some true sith...

Well, I really don't think that the true Sith were 'invented' as a sort of plotwise "Evil Deux ex Machine" device that just serves to explain Revan away. I really think they are the descendants of the Sith Empire led by Dark Lords such as Marka Ragnos, Naga Sadow, and Ludo Kressh. They are part of the KotOR era (in the "Tales of the Jedi" comic books), so I don't find it unreasonable to bring them into the KotOR games at some point, and if a powerful common enemy for both LS Revan and DS Revan to fight is needed, then they're practically begging to be used. They were defeated 1000 years ago, so what has happened since? The Republic just forgot them, which is always a dangerous thing to do...

Yet in half of the game it turned out that my all choices were insignificant cause bioware forced their own hero with his own story (let's add poorly written) so I felt cheated...

This will always be the dilemma in a plot like this - how can you have a character that belongs to the player and yet has background history that you can use for your plot. After all, if you let people choose those, you have to write ten different plots based on their choices, and that's just not going to happen in a computer game. Instead they chose to make Revan the Jason Bourne of Star Wars. Not terribly original, but not bad either - I think the result was okay. I was more disappointed that all the information we got about Revan early on in the game turned out to central plot material than carefully detailed historic background for the setting, since that meant there is no information you hear in KotOR1 that just random trivia - it's all directly tied to the central plot. I like it the other way - if I run a story in my RPG campaign and need to give the players some important information, but not make it obvious that it's important, then I bury that information in five, ten or even fifteen other pieces of information that is just trivial campaign background or pure rumor. Not much of that in the KotOR games, even though there is a *lot* of dialogue...

In KIII all these rubbish revan/true sith threads will have to be revealed and I doubt anyone will be satisfied. Wouldn't it be better if Revan wasn't ever invented and KOTOR would be a Revan-free game? Surely there is a plenty of stories that could be told instead of his pathetic saga. People like John Ostrander prove that you can tell serious and interesting stories in the star wars universe, without escaping into creation of a jedi superman who is worshipped as god by his contemporaries.

I don't agree at all. Yes, Revan is power, as Kreia would say, but he is certainly no perfect jedi superman. For all his power, Revan made a terrible mistake - he allowed his own certainty in his abilities to let him believe that he could challenge the dark side and use it as a tool, and his mistake was greater than Ulic's, because Ulic really only wanted to do it to infiltrate and expose the Sith.

But the dark side - as it always does - twisted Revan and made him its slave. It's the sad old tale that power corrupts, and Revan learned to his peril that his own power only made him more vulnerable, not less.

As I see it, he did convert the jedi on Malachor V and create the armada with the Star Forge all to fight the true Sith. It was a daring plan to use the mysteries of the dark side to fight the Sith, but as such things often go, the original intent was forgotten along the way. Maybe Revan just gave in to his own ambitions, his utter conviction in his own greatness, or maybe he was misled by the dark side or twisted more than he thought by using the Star Forge. It doesn't really matter which it is, and it's probably best to leave that for the individual player to decide, because the end effect is the same - Revan's plans to fight the true Sith to save the Republic was twisted into a plan to rule the true Sith by first conquering the Republic and then using its resources to also conquer and rule the true Sith. But then Malak turned on him as the jedi confronted him, and he lost his memory.

Is it a bit forced? Yes, a little. K1 ended with a true ending (for LS or DS), so how do you follow up on that? How do you make a direct sequel to a game, where the good or evil endings are so different? You can only do that confronting the major character with something that threatens him no matter which side of the Force he ended up on. Enter the true Sith. A little force, granted, but as forced plots go, this one really isn't so bad IMHO, and it at least has the virtue of being based on already established EU lore. It's a "Oh, the Sith Empire - how could we forget the Sith Empire!?!" sort of plot.

So LS Revan will now go and finish the job, because he feels guilty - his plan backfired, and he ended up leaving the Republic even more vulnerable to the true Sith than he intended. So he will sacrifice himself again, fall to the dark side willlingly, but now do so among the true Sith, where he cannot harm the Republic any more. And as Kreia says, he must leave those he loves behind, because such attachments are not the way of the jedi - if he took Bastila with him, for example (or Carth for female Revan), then he would not be able to do what was necessary due to the emotional attachments. So Bastila (or Carth) stays...

For DS Revan it's a question of control. Revan realised that the Star Forge was controlling him more than the other way around. He will rule the Republic and the true Sith as well, but he will not become a slave to the Star Forge to do so, and since the Republic is shattered from the Jedi Civil War and he doesn't want to pay the price of using the Star Forge, he must instead go and challenge the true Sith for leadership of their empire directly. As Kreia says on Korriban, civil wars are common among the Sith... And he went alone because his "friends" would just be a distraction. Besides, he really didn't need them anyway...

Which is why they shouldn't have included Revan in the first place in K2. They should never have made it a direct sequal to K1. Instead, they should have made it still take place in the Old Republic, but not in Revan's time. As much as I liked Revan, I heard about him in K2 so many times I was sick of it.

And you can't say he 'sacrificed' himself again to the darkside to fight the True Sith. We don't know if he did that or not. All we know is that he's fighting the True Sith, nothing more. For all we know, he could still be LS.

It doesn't really matter which it is, and it's probably best to leave that for the individual player to decide, because the end effect is the same - Revan's plans to fight the true Sith to save the Republic was twisted into a plan to rule the true Sith by first conquering the Republic and then using its resources to also conquer and rule the true Sith.

I kind of liked how whether you see Revan as a hero against or the cause of tyranny/war/mass destruction/etc. ended up with the same outcome. Kriea talked a lot about how absolute dedication in either direction can lead to harm (in her usual vague and circular ways) and if you give her ability to be regretful the benefit of the doubt, that could strengthen the Exile's story. I still think it's more a game mechanics decision based on the variability of K1's outcomes, though.

I kind of liked how whether you see Revan as a hero against or the cause of tyranny/war/mass destruction/etc. ended up with the same outcome. Kriea talked a lot about how absolute dedication in either direction can lead to harm (in her usual vague and circular ways) and if you give her ability to be regretful the benefit of the doubt, that could strengthen the Exile's story. I still think it's more a game mechanics decision based on the variability of K1's outcomes, though.

Oh, I agree completely - it was fairly obvious that it was a means to an end. But it was at least done well, which is better than what we usually get to see in these situations.