Does Revan's fate make any sense?

Not that I'm saying he has long winded replies like Meta does.  :-"

Having problems with reading comprehension, Gabs?

At least voluminous reading should help remedy that, so I'm doing you a favour. :o

Of course, it is a little concerning that you are invariably able to sum up all the thought you spend on a subject in under two words ... :p"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

LucasArts does seem to have great power to intimidate.  Maybe they're all hoping to be taken back in the current round of hiring.  Maybe they will be.

Lucas has sued employees for breaching NDAs in the past. Lucas has also put the clamps down on Obsidian on what they can and can not talk about.

Bioware decided after working with Lucas to never deal with existing licenses anymore if that gives you any idea what it is like to work with Lucas.

I thought that bioware was just too busy with JE to develop TSL. Officially relationship between LA and Bioware was sweet...

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I've never heard Bioware throw Lucas under the bus officially, but I've certainly heard rumors that the reason they passed on both KOTOR:2 and NWN:2 is that they never want to have to work within the constraints of anyone's license again. Hence, Dragon Age and Jade Empire.

Which, really, applies to ANY license, not just the possibly draconian claptraps of Lucasarts.

Random minor point thrown in: don't you think a cop-out for the fate of Revan was the only possible solution, in some ways? Whatever developers "made" Revan become, it would certainly anger at least a significant subsection of the fan-base: possibly, a great majority. So if they *had* to cast the game as a direct sequel, then... well. For comparisons, imagine a Torment sequel or a Fallout sequel being a direct sequel, then it dictating who the Nameless One, or the Fallout 2 hero, was. Horrible.

I don't blame MCA and Obsidian for going with a new character. I would have done the same thing.

Why write for someone else's character? Why try to tell a story that is largely already told?

Bioware had worked with the D&D license several times before with no complaints, but decided to ditch existing licenses after doing KOTOR:2. If rumors are to be believed, LucasArts drove Bioware away.

Which, really, applies to ANY license, not just the possibly draconian claptraps of Lucasarts.

Random minor point thrown in: don't you think a cop-out for the fate of Revan was the only possible solution, in some ways? Whatever developers "made" Revan become, it would certainly anger at least a significant subsection of the fan-base: possibly, a great majority.

They "made" Revan become something when they sent him away. Abandoning the republic and all your friends is certainly not something Revan learned from me. I'm sure there are others here whose first reaction to the news was "my Revan would never do that!"

So now that a "significant subsection" of the fan-base is peeved, your cop out can be declared an official failure. :(

Maybe he wasn't abandoning the Republic. The Ebon Hawk carried the Exile into Peragus, and Revan could have orchestrated much of KOTOR:2 from the shadows.

And maybe Revan was protecting the Republic by leaving. Maybe the greater threat would seek him out, and by leaving, the Republic wouldn't get caught in the cross-fire.

Maybe he wasn't abandoning the Republic.  The Ebon Hawk carried the Exile into Peragus, and Revan could have orchestrated much of KOTOR:2 from the shadows.

And maybe Revan was protecting the Republic by leaving.  Maybe the greater threat would seek him out, and by leaving, the Republic wouldn't get caught in the cross-fire.

Ahhh, now we're delving into the sweet science of "Revanology". Revanology is where we discuss and dissect every line of dialog to divine the true Revan. Those are some interesting conspiricy theories Ender, too bad there's nothing in Kotor 2 to back it up.

Shame too, it seems Revanology also suffers when there are no lines to discuss and dissect...

I pray for quick death of that "revanology" thing, together with Revan himself. :(

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

They "made" Revan become something when they sent him away. Abandoning the republic and all your friends is certainly not something Revan learned from me. I'm sure there are others here whose first reaction to the news was "my Revan would never do that!"

So now that a "significant subsection" of the fan-base is peeved, your cop out can be declared an official failure.  :luck:

Absolutely right. If all they wanted was a simple cop-out, then they could have just referred to Revan as the unlikely hero (anti-hero) who defeated Darth Malak.

Newbies would have had no problem with that and K1 fans could have filled in the blanks.

But by having Revan be such a dominate issue in K2 while providing no resolution, it either: 1) demands real resolution in the next installment or 2) was a complete and utter failure at a cop-out.

Essentially, K2 falls apart unless K3 offers real resolution to Revan and the True Sith.

I don't really think Revan is on the same level as the Nameless One though. Dark Horse is not going to tell the Nameless One's story in comics. Revan, however, WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE a home planet, a fixed gender, alignment, etc because his story WILL BE TOLD in the EU. Killing him off (or finding some other resolution for him) in the games will allow his story to be told in the EU. The sooner we get Revan out of the games and into the EU, the better.

Dark Horse is not going to tell the Nameless One's story in comics.  Revan, however, WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE a home planet, a fixed gender, alignment, etc because his story WILL BE TOLD in the EU.  ...

Why?

Why does Revan have to be the main character of a comic series (which is what you are implying)? Why can't other comics be written that refer back to Revan in a non-specific way?

I don't get this burning desire to have Revan as LSM. I just don't understand what drives the minds of these people. Really, I'm trying to understand, what is it that is so important about an "official" gender and alignment?

Talk about upping medications to counter-balance irrational urges ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't blame MCA and Obsidian for going with a new character.  I would have done the same thing.

Why write for someone else's character?  Why try to tell a story that is largely already told?

Bioware had worked with the D&D license several times before with no complaints, but decided to ditch existing licenses after doing KOTOR:2.  If rumors are to be believed, LucasArts drove Bioware away.

Kotor one ender Kotor one was the one developed by Bioware. K2 was developed by this company...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Why?

Why does Revan have to be the main character of a comic series (which is what you are  implying)? Why can't other comics be written that refer back to Revan in a non-specific way?

I don't get this burning desire to have Revan as LSM. I just don't understand what drives the minds of these people. Really, I'm trying to understand, what is it that is so important about an "official" gender and alignment?

I personally don't care. However, the more "concrete" stuff we get about Revan, the less speculation. The more concrete his identity, the more of an immersive story they can write in K3.

Why male?

>well, I think it is obvious that Bastila was written as Revan's lover or (wannabe lover). I think more Revan accolytes would appreciate seeing them together than would be offended by a hard-coded identity. I could be wrong but I think Revan and Bastila together would be good for business.

Why LS?

>generally speaking, SW protagonists are LS. Even Anakin was ultimately LS (redeemed). LFL has already said that Revan is LS continuity-wise.

I do think that less is more concerning Revan and The Exile.

That is definitely possible...as long as the antagonist is the True Sith, we really don't need to see Revan or the Exile in K3 as long as they explain what happened to them.

Exile is easy. Because of the way he draws his Force powers, he could easily slip back into obscurity.

Revan? Having Revan out of the picture (but not dead) would, I think, offend alot of fans. It was, after all, the True Sith who seduced him and used him as a pawn. It is Revan, really, more than anyone else who needs revenge...who needs to defeat the True Sith.

I am looking at this not as a Revan fan but as one who wants the story of K3 to be really tight. It is much easier to do that if you have Revan (a hard-coded Revan).

I do think that less is more concerning Revan and The Exile.

That is definitely possible...as long as the antagonist is the True Sith,

I'd prefer if they would just cut to the chase and we would see the True True Sith, or the Truist Sith. Then later we could be bombarded by the Super True Sith

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I'd prefer if they would just cut to the chase and we would see the True True Sith, or the Truist Sith. Then later we could be bombarded by the Super True Sith

:)

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Isn't The Truth Alan Iverson?

That'll be Darth Allen Iverson of the Philadelphia Space Sixers

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.