most awesomest thing to happen in a mmorpg, ever!

Before this goes out of topic - more discussion fodder.

I particularly enjoyed DarkUnderlord's post.

... Metadigital, one of the more intelligent posters at the Obsidian forums, and always a pleasure to talk to, questioned me ...

:">

This doesn't mean we'll be taking long showers in the wee hours.

... We then proceeded to mate in the ocean like two horny salmons to the sound of John Tesh's mystical tunes, sponsored by a setting sun. Or not.

You really do live vicariously through your avatar, don't you ... :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Guest Fishboot

I dunno, the problem with bringing roleplaying into the discussion is that nothing on any MMO has ever felt like roleplaying. "R u on? We need help to pop the purple dragon dude" coming over AIM has no roleplaying content whatsoever. The real tone of the MMOs I've played is that of a communal puzzle game, where most any immersion that happens comes from being absorbed in hard rules interactions and in that context a player might just hope that other players behave politely and respectfully. Just as if you were playing cards or somesuch in the real world. No one roleplays the jacks.

In the defense of non-players like me, the incident was sold on the internet as total devastation, back-to-square-one for the victim player and grievous harm to the lesser victims. If they were able to bounce back so easily it obviously wasn't that bad of an injury, or that EVE is set up so that the real capital is organizational and assets are trivial. And by extension the facts of the betrayal itself were probably overblown as well, since it's not like the betrayer-player was handed utter control over the fate of the victim's character, just a chance to kick his shins a bit.

Judging from the forum thread I'd say it was some of both. As I said they were looking at a follow-up article, but the general impression I got was that UQS was pretty badly destroyed, but managed to pull out of their troubles through a series of rather daring moves made on a showstring budget.

They apparently were the first in the game to defeat an NPC faction, and in doing so they secured a lot of extra assets, and are now stronger than ever.

So to most it might have been a killing blow, and it was through skill that they pulled out rather than grind - as near as I can tell.

Feel free to steal this sig.

I dunno, the problem with bringing roleplaying into the discussion is that nothing on any MMO has ever felt like roleplaying. "R u on? We need help to pop the purple dragon dude" coming over AIM has no roleplaying content whatsoever. The real tone of the MMOs I've played is that of a communal puzzle game, where most any immersion that happens comes from being absorbed in hard rules interactions and in that context a player might just hope that other players behave politely and respectfully. Just as if you were playing cards or somesuch in the real world. No one roleplays the jacks.

Here are two recent Escapist articles that are particularly relevant:

Save the Roleplayers

... Of course, I could not be assimilated. I still roleplay on the PvP server. I roleplay a 14-year-old prick.

... :-

Don't Roleplay the bugs

:cool:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Guest Fishboot

Just thought of another anti-RPG element that has crept into MMOs: Voice chat. And since supplementing communication with voice chat offers a large (metagaming) advantage in any situation that requires coordination or discipline (Essentially every action besides "farming" in an MMO) there is competitive pressure to use TeamSpeak or Ventrillo and buy a cheap headset. Many guilds/clans/corporations will flatly refuse a player that refuses to adopt voice chat.

If you haven't experienced it, you can probably imagine the sound of 40 MMO players under pressure. It is not the sound of immersion.

Fishboot, you're behind the times. If you get a program like Voice Changer then you get total immersion. VoiP is the future, all kick arse Eve corps in 0.0 use it; let's face it, typing is so 20th century.

During a battle only very few people are allowed to clutter the 'air waves', no corp I know of would allow 40 people to babble all at once during a mission.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Linkie for Voice Changer?

I know that was one of the design decisions for Everquest 2: the devs didn't think it helped immersion if the 200 year old female elf sounded like Biff from the mailroom ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Guest Fishboot
Fishboot, you're behind the times.  If you get a program like Voice Changer then you get total immersion.  VoiP is the future, all kick arse Eve corps in 0.0 use it; let's face it, typing is so 20th century. 

During a battle only very few people are allowed to clutter the 'air waves',  no corp I know of would allow 40 people to babble all at once during a mission.

My only experience with voice modification is teenagers using a robot filter. Yours must be better, though - I'll go check it out.

Edit - I checked out a demo/shareware of "Voice Changer 4.0", and it seemed like its main purpose would be for a squeaky teenager make his voice sound like robot Barry White, not to make a suburban dad sound like Ziff Throslasher, Intergalactic Bounty Hunter. :D There are probably some good tricks that I don't know about, though.

I wasn't trying to overemphasize the babble of dozens of people in Ventrillo, but rather that one was dealing with huge numbers of anonymous nerd voices. I have a lot of painful memories of nasal Rommel wannabees barking their WW2 fantasies into headsets...

Voice chat is probably the future for all games set in modern day / near-future arenas. I can really see a smart designer taking advantage of this and coming up with a game setting where a bunch of online gamers chatting to each other would add to the experience rather than detract from it.

Voice changer is somewhat useful for games set in fantasy worlds, but there's just no such thing as immersion when people are speaking real world slangs through high elf voices. Hilarious, yes, but immersive? No. The real problem here is that no RP happens as is, and voices will only, I'm afraid, make the experience even more artificial.

There are doors

http://www.audio4fun.com/

You can customise it or go with one of the pre-sets. Because I like to play female characters this program is very useful.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing that is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old post, but thought that the reasons you need teamspeak were not addressed very well. I thought I'd add my experiences to this, since I live and die by TS for a good portion of my non work time....

Voice chat is probably the future for all games set in modern day / near-future arenas.  I can really see a smart designer taking advantage of this and coming up with a game setting where a bunch of online gamers chatting to each other would add to the experience rather than detract from it.

Not only that, but in eve you won't get killed because you were trying to type instructions to someone instead of watching your overview. I play eve. I run in some large fleet ops as well as small hunting parties. People that aren't on teamspeak Either:

a. get themselves killed

or

b. get the rest of us killed by not following the fleet commander's instructions in a timely manner.

One second is often the difference between success and failure. Jumping because you didn't hear the commander say "DO NOT JUMP" can alert the enemy to your fleet's presence and give them precious minutes needed to sandwich you between a larger fleet and destroy you before your reinforcements arrive. (been there)

Most fleet commanders don't allow people on the op who are not in the voip. They are too dangerous.

Death happens really fast and it can be extremely expensive in this game.

It's not about immersiveness, it's about being able to act as a team and communicate without your enemy knowing the content of the communication, and keeping your ship in one piece.

I witnessed a fleet commander pod kill someone that wasn't on ts and took to typing in local chat. Bad because there were enemies in the area and he simply wouldn't shut up. The commander told him over TS to stop typing in local 3 x before he killed him. Oh well...

There is a lot at stake, billions in a fleet. It's definitely not a flight simulator where you can just respawn for the next match if you get shot down. It can take days to replace your ship if your corp is small or you need to go mine a new one. You really are in a naval type situation in space, and successful operations require military precision. You can't do that in a fleet of 60+ ships by typing everything.

VOIP is not an option in this game... usually isn't in any game that requires coordination of multiple people, outside of scrabble :)

-Viza

It's been a while since I saw this. A good read.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I am playin' EVE now, and it has a new era now, it has some extra ships ,and in time new 'races' and better diplomacy, me is there myself a politican, have some little Corp of my own with 7-13 members :D

Game will become better, they at Iceland r gonna make it so, better than 'icefishing' :D

There is I think an option for voice and all in EVE, but i just have no micro and such installed yet :)

(Sorry Iceland-ish guys, nevermind this just wanted to be a joke :x )

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

• 4 months later...

How many times has this thread been necromanced?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: