10th Planet

EnderAndrew

Yeah they're always finding 10th planets..but maybe this one will be considered official...I guess it will depend upon the mass, the size and if the comparison with Pluto.

Personally, I vote MIMAS for 10th planet:

mimas_bump_pr_raw.jpg

That's no moon... :-

And they try to see it's affects on the nearby planets. (that's how they found pluto) Why we name our planets after roman gods is byond me. Is it to trip up our 6th graders who are learning about the roman empire?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Romans had family gods and a whole system that was separate from the Greeks. Still, I prefer the Greek gods also. With the Greek influence, the Roman gods become more anthropomorphic. Later, the Romans had influences from all over the empire as well as a tendency to deify Emperors.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The Romans just stole gods from the Greeks.  I prefer the Greek names personally.

I wonder what gods the Romans had before they stole gods?

Well, since Rome was, according to legend, founded by Aeneas, survivor of Troy, it makes sense that their gods were similar.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Loki isn't a badass, he's annoying!

"hmm... what should i do today.... i know! i'll steal thor's hammer! then i'll go and get Baldr killed!"

anyway, aren't people still arguing over whether Pluto classifies as a planet? :blink:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I don't think this will be a new official tenth planet. I get the feeling they'd quite like to revoke Pluto's official status, but don't dare to. All these random lumps of rock aren't likely to teach us anything new - I'm much more interested in the planets they're finding around other stars. When will they be able to spot non-gas giants around other stars?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, according to the article, the IAU has refused to revoke Pluto's "planethood", so I wouldn't be so sure about that. It may very well one of those things in science that defies logic but stays for continuity, nomenclature, or tradition's sake. :blink:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I prefer the Norse gods, because Loki is a badass.

Yeah, what other god would turn himself into a she-horse in order to have intercourse with Sleipner and give birth to some kind of bizarre mutant :lol:

..or was that the Father of Horse he did it with and then gave birth to Sleipner? :blink: Id better go read up a bit. There are probably 3-4 different versions of the story depening on what you read anyway

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "