Obsidian Forums Diplomacy Game 1 (OBS-1)

I noticed the same flaw as Meta. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to desire to play the Celts.

At the very least, I would switch the A in Edi with the F in Bre. Otherwise, the Celts have no room to expand at all (unless they do F Bre-Aqu, yet that would probably fail as Burgundy would also move to Aquitane and if it succeeded would leave Brest open for further assault) and no way to protect their inland continental territories.

Okay, this I agree with.

Also, giving Burgundy SIX forces as opposed to everyone else's THREE?

Eh? What? Come again? Six?

No one would be able to compete with such a disparate arrangement of power at the opening, especially if you maintained the rule whereby only 8 supply centers are required to win. That would occur in Spring of the First Year through some combination of A Dij-Aqu, A Tur-Swi, and F Ven-Ist.

Eh? What? Come again? Eight?

...as opposed to eighteen?

Finally, I would reconsider whether some Armies should become Fleets, Fleets become Armies, etc.

This, again I agree with.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Count them. Fleets in Ams and Ven. Armies in Bru, Dij, Tur, and Rom. 2+4=6

As for the 8 instead of 18, I misremembered the winning conditions. My mistake. Still, Burgundy would have a monstrous advantage.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Count them. Fleets in Ams and Ven. Armies in Bru, Dij, Tur, and Rom. 2+4=6

Okay.

1. F Ams

2. A Bru

3. A Dij

I also happen to count:

4. WESTERN ROMAN A Tur

5. WESTERN ROMAN F Ven

6. WESTERN ROMAN A Rom

:ermm:

Maybe the shades are too similar, or something.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Ah. :"> On my monitor, they appear almost identical at first glance. You are correct.

In that case, both Burgundy and West Roman Empire have advantages, though less than I previously assumed.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

(BURGUNDY A Ams S DANISH F Cop - NTH) - Armies can't support into bodies of water

*shakes head*

That's baby stuff Meta...even Baley knows that.

:ermm:"

I'm glad you spotted my deliberate mistake ...

Ninja monkey marines can do it ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

One thing I note is that while the Burgundian army in Dijon can move to Aquitaine and stand the Celts out of there, since the West Roman player is certain to move A Turin-Switzerland, and since the Dane might move A Copenhagen-Saxony, the only way the Burgundian player could effectively garuantee a build is to vacate either Brussels or Amsterdam, which would give the Dane a 50:50 chance of taking a Burgundian centre based on his guess of which would be moved.

Of course, if Burgundy can't vacate Brussles or Amsterdam without them being taken, then the effectively has only one supply centre, rather than three (or even six :blink:). I think it is the Danes, instead of the Burgundians who have the advantage in this situation.

Either way, it's still not what you'd call balanced.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I would say you would need to break the map down into its constituent links; create a link-analysis. (I was going to do one for the standard map, but I couldn't be arsed ...)

In other words, list all the territories and the legal moves (ordered by type of terain and piece, naturally). That should give you an idea of the balancing required (as well as a list of chokepoints and safe areas, etc).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I would say you would need to break the map down into its constituent links; create a link-analysis. (I was going to do one for the standard map, but I couldn't be arsed ...)

In other words, list all the territories and the legal moves (ordered by type of terain and piece, naturally). That should give you an idea of the balancing required (as well as a list of chokepoints and safe areas, etc).

Perhaps you are right, but I rather suspect that I too cannot be arsed. :blink:

It is now rather late, but what I am currently considering is Removing the Celts and placing in Carthage (F Tunis, A Spa, F Por), and either extending the Channel and Helgoland Bight into the North sea (and renaming them suitably), or creating a new sea province such that the North Sea is no longer adjacent either Belgium, Holland, or both. After all, in the standard game Hel is necessary to ensure that Germany does not get paranoid about losing Kiel to England, so something similar may be needed.

Here (I didn't have the energy to do the units):

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4264/proj...cymapalt7yp.gif

Good night. -_-

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Looks better. I like the idea of a neutral "island" in the middle of the map, though (like Switzerland in the standard game).

One of the problems with switzerland, even in the main game, is that it very easily allows the creation of stalemate lines across the board, which if achieved will bring the game to a crashing halt. On the other hand, in the main game, I'm sure that it serves some useful balancing purpose (though I am more inclined to think that it actually unbalances the game by disadvantaging Italy).

In this game, Switzerland being neutral doesn't make all that much sense, lacking a historical justification, but balancing may make me change my mind.

In truth, after thinking it over last night, I am coming to realise that the original game is superbly balanced, and changing it while keeping it fair is extremely difficult.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

With seven sets of orders, Winter is now over. Check your inboxes or the first post.

With our brief interlude completed, it's now time to get back to the fun business of diplomacy and war.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I'm really excited.  Hopefully we can start expiditing the game now that people have a hang of things.  As always the Russian Embassy is open for foreign ambassadors.

If by that you mean shortening the deadlines, I doubt that will happen. I heard that there were a lot of last-minute negotiations for the Fall turn, so it would seem that people are capable of spending a week negotiationg. Also, as the players get the hang of things, they'll inevitably begin to think of long-tern strategy and goals, and have much more in-depth strategic discussions with potential allies and enemies. And as people get more units, more negotiation is required for the moves of each unit. If anything, I think the amount of negotiation is only likely to increase as the players get better.

Of course, with so much more to do, the chances of week-long turns becoming boring gets slimmer. :(

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I'm just hoping players will be quicker to approach, and get diplomatic actions handled.  I'm not suggesting we have a mandate of shorter deadlines.  I just think we as players can get our turns finished quicker however.

That's just the nature of negotiations (and some *cough*

Baley

*cough* players disorganised styles).

Nothing ever seems to be negotiated until the last possible moments, whether it is purchasing a car or reducing SALT missiles.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Germany, the new protector of peace in Europe

by Ludwig Rotwang, Berlin

Few have failed to notice the aggressive actions taken by the armies

of many nations throughout Europe and in the east. Among them t h e

Italian presence in Austria and the Turkish invasion of Bulgaria. But

the peoples of northern Europe can rest in safety as our proud nation

has taken it upon itself to protect not only ourselves but surrounding

nations with outmost vigilance. It is through our efforts, and our efforts alone, that countries like Belgium remain fully sovereign

nations and not simply satellite states of the Brittish or French.

img2.jpg

Infantry of Armee group Nord on march outside of Roskilde, Denmark

This winter saw the completion of a mighty second fleet in Kiel and the

formation of a third army group labeled 's

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The Caliph has returned from his Winter Residence and repaired to his Summer Residence.

The Divan met, concluding "Nothing much happenning, just a big war in Europe."

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT