Obsidian Forums Diplomacy Game 1 (OBS-1)

[out of character] Hi, can an army move and support in the one turn?

e.g. is this a legal move:

F Lon-Nor

A Bel-Hol

F Nor S Bel-Hol

?

No, it can move or support, but not both (underlining mine):

"Types of Orders

On each turn, each Great power can order all, some, or none of its units to do one of the following:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

In order to avoid misunderstandings, we can send order without any confusing abbrevations? Like

Moves Constantinople army to Bulgaria

or

Builds a fleet at Smyrna

Or do we have to use abbrevations so that we will make more fun mistakes? :luck:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

In order to avoid misunderstandings, we can send order without any confusing abbrevations? Like

Moves Constantinople army to Bulgaria

or

Builds a fleet at Smyrna

Or do we have to use abbrevations so that we will make more fun mistakes? o:)

The only requirements for the writing of orders is that they be unambiguous and valid. Thus, you can write your moves in notation or longhand, though when I email the results to everyone, they will be in notation regardless of how they were submitted. I considered adding the names of the opening moves, but decided that might unfairly influence the tactics of some players. After all, if France is pretending to be allied with England, England might not be too happy if she knew the opening set of moves France had played were commonly called English Attack! Many openings have quite fun names, like the Alpine Chicken (an Italian opening), Hedgehog (Austrian), Octupus (Russian), and the Boston Strangler (Turkish, strangely), but sadly, I can't take the chance. :rolleyes:

While a poorly written order that has only one meaning has to be followed, it is preferred that you stick to the following rules:

1. Designate the type of unit before the province, e.g. "A Con" or "Army [in] Constantinople".

2. If the order in question involves a unit of another nationality, specify it, e.g. "A Ser S RUSSIAN A Rum-Bul" or "Army [in] Serbia Supports RUSSIAN A [in] Rumania into Bulgaria".

3. If you are deliberately miswriting an order, write "[sic]" at the end of the order.

Diplomacy Notation is a lot like Chess Notation: you don't have to learn it to play, but when you've learned it you can be all smug and elitist and talk to all the other geeks in your secret code. :D :shifty:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Incidentally, the first move is also illegal, because the abbreviation for North Sea is "NTH", so A Lon-NTH.  :rolleyes:

I thought "Nts" was also acceptable in Standard Diplomacy.

As is "Eas", "Ems" and "Eme" for the Eastern Mediterranean;

As is "Eng" and "Ech" for the English Channel;

As is "Lyo" and "GoL" for the Gulf of Lyon;

As is "Bot" and "Gob" for the Gulf of Bothnia;

As is "Lvp" and "Lpl" for Liverpool;

As is "Lvn", "Lvo" and "Lva" for Livonia;

As is "Mao", "Mid" and "Mat" for the Mid-Atlantic Ocean;

As is "Nao" and "nat" for the North Atlantic Ocean;

As is "Nor" and "Nwy" for Norway;

As is "Nwg" and "Nrg" for the Norwegian Sea;

As is "Tyr", "Tyl" and "Trl" for Tyrolia;

As is "Tys", "Tyn" and "Tyh" for the Tyrrhenian Sea;

As is "Wes", "Wms" and "Wme" for the Western Mediterranean;

etcetera, etcetera...

:D

manthing2.jpg

The rule book specifically says that in cases where two territories share the same first three letters a special abbreviation is assigned to one of them, usually the one of lesser importance from what Ive seen.

Silly Jaguar, tricks are for kids. :)

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Incidentally, the first move is also illegal, because the abbreviation for North Sea is "NTH", so A Lon-NTH.  :thumbsup:

I thought "Nts" was also acceptable in Standard Diplomacy.

As is "Eas", "Ems" and "Eme" for the Eastern Mediterranean;

As is "Eng" and "Ech" for the English Channel;

As is "Lyo" and "GoL" for the Gulf of Lyon;

As is "Bot" and "Gob" for the Gulf of Bothnia;

As is "Lvp" and "Lpl" for Liverpool;

As is "Lvn", "Lvo" and "Lva" for Livonia;

As is "Mao", "Mid" and "Mat" for the Mid-Atlantic Ocean;

As is "Nao" and "nat" for the North Atlantic Ocean;

As is "Nor" and "Nwy" for Norway;

As is "Nwg" and "Nrg" for the Norwegian Sea;

As is "Tyr", "Tyl" and "Trl" for Tyrolia;

As is "Tys", "Tyn" and "Tyh" for the Tyrrhenian Sea;

As is "Wes", "Wms" and "Wme" for the Western Mediterranean;

etcetera, etcetera...

:D

Whether the move is acceptable is up to the GM, but yes, as long as I can understand your move, and it cannot be interpreted in any other way, I'll see it carried out. I'll accept any abbreviation that meets the above criteria, but I'd ask that you use the abbreviations at the back of the rulebook, that you not use "Nor", that you capitalise bodies of water, and that you use the abbreviations NAO MAO WMS and EMS for the North Atlantic, the Mid Atlantic, and the West and East mediterrainian seas respectively. None of those rules though are compulsory, they just make it easier on me.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

What about declaring the move, "Russia's secret Death-Ninja battalion suprises everyone from behind and totally flips out and kills everyone because that's as cool as crap, and by that I mean totally awesome wicked!"

Is that valid?

And that was just a theoretical example. Russia is friendly.

The Emperor is Dead!

By Albercht Konrad von Jurreg for the Wiener Allgemeine Zeitung, 27 Apr 1901 2300 hrs, Vienna (For immediate release)

It is with greatest of sorrows in our hearts and minds that we; the most respectable publisher in the Empire regretfully report that his majesty the Emperor has passed away. The most beloved Emperor Franz Josef was seventy-one.

The annoucement of his majesty's passing came from the Imperial Office of the Keeper of the Privy Seal at a half past ten on the same evening as this special report. The official statement from Imperial Keeper Prinz Helmuth Otto Frederich von Thayerin states that the Emperor died peacefully of old age. However twelve minutes later in an interview with the Wiener Allgemeine Zeitung, we bring you the sensational news that Imperial Physician Dr Lothar Wattau who treated the Emperor said that his majesty died of vodka poisoning. So far neither Prinz Thayerin's office nor the Imperial Palace press office has made a respond to the good doctor's claims.

"Excess alcohol supresses the nerves and causes seizures and irratic breathing and Vodka is one of the greatest source of strong distilled alcohol," explained Dr. Wattau. He went on to disclose, "When his Majesty was taken to the Imperial Infirmary, he was still clenching onto an empty bottle of fine vodka that I recognize was sent by the tsar. I know it's fine vodka because the Emperor said so! He kept on slurring 'izzzzaaaa fuuuuuuuunnnnggg borrrrrrr urrrr vvoooookkkieeeee! Berrrriii fuunnnnnggggg!"

Dr Wattau whom also identified himself with the ultra-conservatives had this final words to add, "I think the Russkies are up to no good. This evil but very fine bottle of Vodka is obviously a plot to assassinate our beloved Emperor and it worked. We must fight back now!"

Tzar Ender Wiggin the Great offers his sincere condolensces on the loss of one of the world's truly great leaders. Wiggin the Great recognizes Emperor Josef's strong leadership, willingness to lead and dashing fashion sense.

Truly, the world lost an icon we will not soon forget.

In proper Russian fashion, Wiggin the Great is sending out a crate of his finest vodka to Vienna, where the Emperor's surviving relatives can drink away their sorrows.

Everyone knows Rumania is spelled with a "u" anyway :thumbsup:" we Swedes call it "Rum

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

French ships sighted in the Wes.

Friends of the Caliph have reported sighting French Naval Warships patrolling the Western Mediterranean. No contact ws made, but it is clear that the unprotected shores of Spain and Africa are being scoped for possible invasion.

STOP

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Lots of things happens on June 28th:

91 years ago, on June 28 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria was assassinated in Sarajevo, triggering the outbreal of the first world war.

86 years ago, on June 28 1919, the teraty of Versailles was signed in a railway cart, officially ending WW1 and planting the seed of WW2.

Its also me mums birthday today :devil:"