Obsidian Forums Diplomacy Game 1 (OBS-1)

Alas, poor Aishur! I knew him, Horatio.

If everyone sent in Build lists really quickly, we could have this turn all wrapped up by tonight. Oh, by the way, you are discouraged from negotiation during the winter turn. Technically, there shouldn't be any diplomacy between fall moves and builds, but given the constraints of postal play, it can't really be helped.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Surprise! ... There three main weapons ... No ...

... Amongst their weaponry are killing stuff, flipping out and surprise ... and ... where did everybody go ...?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Just to clarify, we can build units at our home stations.  Does that mean only our initial supply centers, or any supply center we control?  I may have to go pour over the rules again...

You can build only in the centres that you start with. For you, StP, Mos, War, and Sev. :)

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

...and the Holy Hand Grenade of Chimptioch.  :ph34r:

Also: Spanish Chimp Inquistor Ninja  in training

Wow, that little guy is deadly! Did you see him kick and smash that wooden plank?

I gots to get me an army of them ...

If everyone sent in Build lists really quickly, we could have this turn all wrapped up by tonight.  Oh, by the way, you are discouraged from negotiation during the winter turn.  Technically, there shouldn't be any diplomacy between fall moves and builds, but given the constraints of postal play, it can't really be helped.

We could submit tentative build instructions with the Fall move, just to be confirmed (like retreats), if you think that might be fairer / more interesting ( :blink: ).

Also, are you going to publish a map with the new builds included?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

We could submit tentative build instructions with the Fall move, just to be confirmed (like retreats), if you think that might be fairer / more interesting ( :huh: ).

There is such a method in use in some places, whereby Build lists are submitted along with conditions (like, "If I take Hol then Build F Kie, if not then B F Ber"). The problem with this method is that players cannot actually see the situation on the board before they make their decisions on what to build, which I consider unfair, and that on certain turns when there is the possibility of large gains being made, the conditional orders could stretch for pages based on what provinces are taken.

This method takes slightly longer (though not much longer if certain people didn't insist on waiting until a few minutes before the deadline to send orders *cough*

Baley

*cough*), and allows players to engage in diplomacy, which is technically against the rules, but by allowing players to look at the results of their moves before deciding what to build, I think it is a better method,

Also, are you going to publish a map with the new builds included?

You betcha.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

While we're waiting for the last person to submit his build orders, I wonder if y'all could do me a favour.

Diplomacy is one of those games you can easily change just about any aspect of pretty easily, and as such there are tons of variants on the standard Diplomacy rules and map. I've been working on a little pet project of my own, similar to some other variants, that mixes up the countries, provinces and supply centres somewhat.

Could you take a look at this starting map and give me any first impressions (like "Country X looks stronger than Y", or "It looks boring and crap") of it?

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/319/pro...omacymap1xy.gif

If you're wondering, The Powers are:

Green - Celtic Kingdom

Burgundy - Burgundy

Pink - Denmark

Orange - Poland-Lithuania

Gold - Golden Horde

Purple - Byzantium/Eastern Roman Empire

Red - Western Roman Empire

And no, it has nothing to do with any actual history.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I think the map needs work.  You have a three empire cluster-fudge up north, where none can expand easily without direct conflict, where as Burgundy has the easiest route to easy expansion.

I agree the map needs quite a bit of work, and I'm now thinking that Burgundy might be a rather bad idea. Having those areaa neurtral and filling out the centre of the map might be a better idea (Bavaria-Bohemia, maybe?).

As to using some sort of variant map in our next game, my hope is that someone else will be able to GM at that point, so I can get a game, and I'd rather play the standard map.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

... take a look at this starting map and give me any first impressions (like "Country X looks stronger than Y", or "It looks boring and crap") of it?

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/319/pro...omacymap1xy.gif

If you're wondering, The Powers are:

Green - Celtic Kingdom

Burgundy - Burgundy

Pink - Denmark

Orange - Poland-Lithuania

Gold - Golden Horde

Purple - Byzantium/Eastern Roman Empire

Red - Western Roman Empire

And no, it has nothing to do with any actual history.

The Celts are toast. Unless they form an alliance with Denmark, and there is no incentive for the Danes to want to:

DANISH 1901 Spring:

F Lon - Yor

F Osl - NWG

F Cop - NTH (BURGUNDY A Ams S DANISH F Cop - NTH)

DANISH 1901 Fall:

F NWG - Edi

F NTH S NWG - Edi

F Yor S NWG - Edi

I would perhaps give the Celts an Ireland that they can expand into, with a SC on it, or perhaps

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think the map needs work.  You have a three empire cluster-fudge up north, where none can expand easily without direct conflict, where as Burgundy has the easiest route to easy expansion.

I agree the map needs quite a bit of work, and I'm now thinking that Burgundy might be a rather bad idea. Having those areaa neurtral and filling out the centre of the map might be a better idea (Bavaria-Bohemia, maybe?).

As to using some sort of variant map in our next game, my hope is that someone else will be able to GM at that point, so I can get a game, and I'd rather play the standard map.

I don't mind being GM, now that the game is not a total unexplored myth anymore ... :D ... after all, it's not like there is any magic involved, it's all just rule-based (according to the hierarchy in the back of the manual).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I noticed the same flaw as Meta. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to desire to play the Celts.

At the very least, I would switch the A in Edi with the F in Bre. Otherwise, the Celts have no room to expand at all (unless they do F Bre-Aqu, yet that would probably fail as Burgundy would also move to Aquitane and if it succeeded would leave Brest open for further assault) and no way to protect their inland continental territories.

Also, giving Burgundy SIX forces as opposed to everyone else's THREE? Bad planning, in my opinion. Not only would Burgundy easily conquer the interior as you have placed them near so many open supply centers, but also dominate militarily. No one would be able to compete with such a disparate arrangement of power at the opening, especially if you maintained the rule whereby only 8 supply centers are required to win. That would occur in Spring of the First Year through some combination of A Dij-Aqu, A Tur-Swi, and F Ven-Ist.

Finally, I would reconsider whether some Armies should become Fleets, Fleets become Armies, etc.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

The Celts are toast. Unless they form an alliance with Denamrk, and there is no incentive for the Danes to want to:

DANISH 1901 Spring:

F Lon - Yor

F Osl - NWG

F Cop - NTH (BURGUNDY A Ams S DANISH F Cop - NTH)

DANISH 1901 Fall:

F NWG - Edi

F NTH S NWG - Edi

F Yor S NWG - Edi

I would perhaps give the Celts an Ireland that they can expand into, with a SC on it, or perhaps

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!