Obsidian Forums Diplomacy Game 1 (OBS-1)

This argument has to be one of the most idiotic Ive ever seen on a forum.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

In this case 6 (SIX) players voted for a restart, and 1 (ONE) voted against.  Now either your definition of equitablity is flawed, or your mathematics is.

Game 2 was a game for seven people. Two dropped out (extenuating circumstances) in the second turn.

An invitation was opened to others to join the game, as it stood. When the request for a restart was tabled, I asked the players if they wanted to change the game. (Basically it was a request to start a new game.)

Now there agreement wasn't unanimous, so I couldn't start a new game instead of the existing one. (Certainly could start one in addition, as required.) All players, AT ALL TIMES, as free to drop out of the game, should they not find it fun. (Obviously this is a forfeit.)

This was my decision as Game Master, not Reveilled. I will not be drawn on who voted which way, either, as it is tantamount to complicence in bullying.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Exhibit A: Despite a reasonable request for shortening turn length, Reveilled turns down said request due to lack of "practicality". Also showe innate familiarity with postal diplmacy flat out contradicting his so called lack of expierence with the game.

Do you think we can accelerate this slightly to, say, 1 year taking a week instead of a fortnight?

*yawns*

Well, according to my information, some people are still absorbed in Negotiation right up to the end of the turn, so no, I don't think that would be practical. It's probably just because you're Italy. Everyone wants Italy to go away in the first few years.

But if you can convince everyone to agree to a new turn length, I'll change it.

If you prefer, we could collect everyone's street addresses and lengthen the turn duration to one month like has been the tradition of the game for many a year. :-"

---

Exhibit B: Thereby gaining permission from all realistically involved in the game.

All in favor of shortening turn length, raise your hand.

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

hear! hear!

OOC-I would agree to shortening turns,I for one am never late.

Not like somebody else I know :-"

----

Exhibit C: Despite favor for restart, Rev still adheres to obstinance for its own sake - despite earlier contradicting himself that he will shorten the length (should everyone decide to do so).

That's it Rev, everyone has agreed for the shorter turn length.    :thumbsup:

Did Aishur? :-"

Besides, aren't any of you joining game 3? Wouldn't you rather keep the turn length the same and just double the volume of negotiation?

---

Exhibit D: Once, again show instrinsic knowlege of postal games unlikely to be gained without actually participating.

Atleast capitulation adds a flavour of realism?  The game is constructed so that you know you'll hit the dust several turns before it actually happens, so I can understand Archie.

Well, in actual postal games, a deposit is usually required such that if you stop submitting moves before you are actually eliminated, then you lose your deposit. We don't do that, obviously, so I can only ask that people see their country through to its end. A player fighting a determined opponent will have a far harder time of it than a player fighting someone who just gives up, and it's not really fair on the other players if the person who makes the attack gets a free lunch when by rights they shouldn't.

Come on, Archie! Fight them on the beaches! Fight them on the landing grounds! Fight them in the fields and streets! Never Surrender!

I love how despite the fact you're supposedly ignoring me, you still think it worth your while to make baseless accusations against me. If you're going to ignore me, why don't you just stop talking about me? Then we never have to say anything to or about each other ever again.

Exhibit A:  Despite a reasonable request for shortening turn length, Reveilled turns down said request due to lack of "practicality".  Also showe innate familiarity with postal diplmacy flat out contradicting his so called lack of expierence with the game.

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources...ine_archive.htm

I can't find where in the strategy articles it was mentioned, but I'm sure it's said there too.

---

Exhibit B: Thereby gaining permission from all realistically involved in the game.

Exhibit C:  Despite favor for restart, Rev still adheres to obstinance for its own sake - despite earlier contradicting himself that he will shorten the length (should everyone decide to do so).

Of course I was obstinate to that! You may not realise this, but I actually have a life, and I quite liked having six days of the week where I didn't have to be at the computer at 1pm. I suggested that a third game be set up instead, because I didn't want the extra work this entails. One was set up. I had hoped then, that people might agree to keep the turn length the same. And if you'll remember, the very next turn after that, if I recall, was to the new schedule.

Exhibit D:  Once, again show instrinsic knowlege of postal games unlikely to be gained without actually participating.

Minute examination of the entire zine will tell you the other vital information you need: the name and address of the editor (who will often refer to himself as the

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!