Obsidian Forums Diplomacy Game 1 (OBS-1)

Question: Is it possible for two units to support each other in holding, such that either defends with the strength of two units?

I dont think it is, because the supported order isnt the same as the order given. Correct me if I am wrong.

My gut feeling tells me no, but according to how I'm reading the rules, it is actually legal:

"A unit ordered to move can only be supported by a support order that matches the move a unit is trying to make"

This suggests that unless the order is the same as the support order, the support fails. However:

"A unit not ordered to move can be supported by a support order that only mentions its province. A Unit that is ordered to hold, convoy, support or not ordered at all can recieve support in holding its position."

This states that this does not apply to support orders themselves, so even if the orders would not be the same, exchange of support is legal. I'm convinced it's not, but I can't find a rule that agrees with me, so I have to assume that it is indeed legal.

EDIT: But what I've just realised is that the reason it is legal is because it doesn't matter.

Imagine the following situation:

Austrian armies in Bud, Ser, and Gre.

Russian Armies in Rum and Bul.

Russia:

A Rum H

A Bul S A Rum

Now, if Austria wants to dislodge A Rum, it orders:

A Bud-Rum

A Ser S A Bud-Rum

A Gre-Bul

A Gre-Bul cuts the support of A Bul, meaning that A Rum (now with a strength of 1) is dislodged by the supported attack by A Bud.

Even if A Rum S A Bul, the support of A Bul is still cut, and so A Rum S A Bul has no effect on the outcome.

So, exchanging support has no effect either because one support will be overpowered by a doubly supported attack, or because one support will be cut by an attack.

Yes, it's legal, but it won't have an effect.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

This round saw some really odd moves, Im thinking that perhaps some players havent read the rules or are just plains nuts? :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Like Metadigitals brilliant maneuver that resulted in him trying to dislodge his own troops in Bulgaria :D

Im not sure its in my best interest to reveal the others :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Like Metadigitals brilliant maneuver that resulted in him trying to dislodge his own troops in Bulgaria :D

If you think the moves that came out were crazy, you should have seen some of the ones one player in particular sent me. Every moveset but the last one was progressively more crazy than the last.

Oh, and if you think about what moves didn't happen but could have, some of the crazy moves don't seem quite so crazy after all. :shifty:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

That was because the Austrian Schweinehunds prevented my Operation Olive Branch to help protect the Greek friends of the Ottomans. ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Looking at the map, Greece looks to be very interesting. Both Italy and Turkey can make supported attacks, but if both make them, neither will succeed. The only way to guarantee success is to involve that Austrian fleet. Of course, Austria has no reason to support either player, since Aishur will be eliminated this winter, having lost his last supply centre. In fact, the only move guaranteed to result in someone taking Greece successfully is for either Italy or Turkey to support Austria into Greece! :D

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

If you think the moves that came out were crazy, you should have seen some of the ones one player in particular sent me.  Every moveset but the last one was progressively more crazy than the last.

Oh, and if you think about what moves didn't happen but could have, some of the crazy moves don't seem quite so crazy after all. :thumbsup:

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementi

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If you think the moves that came out were crazy, you should have seen some of the ones one player in particular sent me.  Every moveset but the last one was progressively more crazy than the last.

Im guessing either Archie, or more likely, Baley :thumbsup:" Who was it?

The spring 1902 strategic fiasco must be awarded to Archie for his highly advanced scheme of permanently losing Norway in order to keep me from taking Belgium :D

Im guessing either Archie, or more likely, Baley :thumbsup:" Who was it?

The spring 1902 strategic fiasco must be awarded to Archie for his highly advanced scheme of permanently losing Norway in order to keep me from taking Belgium :D

It wouldn't be fair to say (priveleged info, and all that), though the person in question could certainly come forward themselves. I will say, though, that you must be the one who is plain nuts if you think Baley would send more than one set of orders! Why, that would require him to send in orders early! Think of the scandal! :shifty::)

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I can explain that, though. Since Baley took so long to answer my diplomatic tendrils as well as the tribulations of everyday life, I was fairly short on time to rework my orders Thus, I forgot St. Petersburg connected to Norway and expected no attack from Russia. Had I remembered, I would have supported Norway and let you have Belgium, especially considering Baley's behavior. <_<

I blame all faults in my playing upon the power outage I suffered before S01. If I had had power and therefore been able to submit my orders on time, Baley would never have gotten the Channel and my entire strategy would therefore be different.

However, considering my current position, I admit I am fairly screwed and will probably be the second to go, unless I shape up considerably.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Im not sure its in my best interest to reveal the others :)

If you think the moves that came out were crazy, you should have seen some of the ones one player in particular sent me. Every moveset but the last one was progressively more crazy than the last.

He's talking about me, I believe. :">

ALSO: That's it Rev, everyone has agreed for the shorter turn length. :)

manthing2.jpg

Greece can become interesting.  I'm seeing several possible outcomes.

To the players I attacked this turn, I reiterate that it is nothing personal.  'Tis just a game.

That's the worst attempt at being in character, yet. :angry: We might as well close down the topic if no-one is going to play properly. >_<

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I wasn't objecting to OOC posts, per se. It's just that the relative percentage seems to have jumped from about 15% to 95% over the last week.

(I am just as guilty for not putting out a Spring statement, I grant you, but I am telling you what to do, not showing you how to act. :Darque:)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Im not sure its in my best interest to reveal the others :)

He's talking about me, I believe. :">

ALSO: That's it Rev, everyone has agreed for the shorter turn length. :)

Did Aishur? :-"

Besides, aren't any of you joining game 3? Wouldn't you rather keep the turn length the same and just double the volume of negotiation?

As the GM for this game, I'll say that I'm not so bothered by out of character posts as long as they are still on topic. A few more in character news articles would be nice, but I won't pitch a fit as long as you don't start talking about something unrelated to the game.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!