Remember the Old days?

WITHTEETH

Oh dear God, no! It was bad enough on the Xbox (I know, I own it) why make it even worse and port it to PC? *shudders*

They appear to be including more content, I heard something like 33% more content but ...

I dont feel that Fable is that bad, its not Project Ego and I feel a lot of Fable "let down" come from Xbox own limitations that from the game specs itself, they sould never "go console" on a project that required a great need of processor power and no matter what the PC is were games evolve.

drakron.png

Daggerfall, Betrayal at Krondor , Final Fantasy 8 - great games from the ancient times  :p

"Ancient times"? The 90's were yesterday, so to speak. Any game younger than, say, Lands of Lore, came out recently. :wub:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Daggerfall, Betrayal at Krondor , Final Fantasy 8 - great games from the ancient times  :p

"Ancient times"? The 90's were yesterday, so to speak. Any game younger than, say, Lands of Lore, came out recently. :wub:

Now that's a game whose name I don't hear mentioned all that often (presuming you mean the first, Throne of Chaos). I lost my CD, but liked the game enough to repurchase it off Ebay, recently. Now I've got myself a brand new complete Lands of Lore. I shall have to play it again soon.

My top ten from two decades plus of RPGs...

10. The Longest Journey

9. Original Bard's Tale

8. Forgotten Realms Gold Box Series (yea, all of em)

7. Moria (not sure it would truly qualify. How many have heard of it?)

6. Icewind Dale II

5. Icewind Dale

4. KotOR 1

3. Planescape: Torment

2. Morrowind

1. Baldur's Gate series

I actually expected KotOR II to knock either number 10 or 9 off the list. Sadly, it didn't.

Mesa Red

Dammit, I remember the good old days of text adventures. Leather Goddess of Phobos, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Zork, and all the Infocom's greats. Hell, I remember GEOS (Graphic Environmental Operating System) for the Commode 64. That and Jiffy-DOS. Back in my day...

Um, I think I am going to shut up for now. :o

Heh, playing Gabriel Knight 3 is what made me get extremely hooked on the whole Grail and Bloodline theory. I swore to visit Rennes-Le-Chateau sometime in the future :(

As I read "DaVinci Code" it was quite fun knowing most of the stuff that were about to be revealed to the book's heroes prior to the heroes actually learning about all that :)

As for the greatest games...difficult to tell considering the amount games I've played, but "Fate of Atlantis" and all of Lucasfilm's old games, "FALLOUT", "The Longest Journey" and the "Quest for Glory" series are some of my all-time favourites. I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of others but anyway.

'Silicon Dreams', a trilogy of three text adventures, is definitely one of my early favourites on the C64. The copy protection was to enter certain words from a certain page in the novella that came with the game. More often than not, it was the same phrase, 'flame-throwing weedibots', a mental image that still makes me laugh.

Hitch-hiker's Guide was also great; by the way, there's two new illustrated versions just released that you can play on the BBC website.

Playing 'The Longest Journey' last year was a shock - how could I have missed such a great game? After Kotor 2, Dreamfall will be only the second game in years that I buy on the day of release.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

while all my friends had a C64, I was stuck with a Radio Shack TRS-80. Did anyone ever play "Dungeons of Daggorath" (vintage 1982)? I didn't think so, but if you did you know how awesome it was for the time

post-108-1111960962_thumb.jpg

My favourites

RPG - The Baldur's Gate series, Ultima 7 - Serpent Isle, Fallout

Adventure - Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers, Monkey Island series, Indiana Jones series (hell, all the Lucasarts classics)

FPS - Doom, Half-Life, Dark Forces - Jedi Knight

Space games - Elite 2 - Frontier, Wing Commander series

Strategy - X-Com(!), Dune 2, Command & Conquer (the slickest game of its time)

The first Gabriel Knight game is easily my favourite, the story was a lot more involving and interesting for me than its sequels, which kinda resembled a Geography field trip in places. I could appreciate the story in both, especially 'Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned' which was very ambitious and even moving in the end but some of the run-up was just too damned boring and obscure for my tastes. Give me some hot voodoo action and New Orleans anyday over European villages and historical mysteries. Plus Gk1 had the better VO and music.

GK1>GK2>GK3 for me.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

All-Time favorites: All SSI D&D Gold Box Games, Questron II, All Ultimas (especially IV & V), Wasteland, Bard's Tale I & II (NOT III), Daggerfall, Eye of the Beholder Series, BG I & II, IWD & First Half of IWD2, NWN, KOTOR I & II, Wizard's Crown, Six-Gun Shootout, Roadwar 2000, Phantasie Series and Wizardry Series (especially VI & VII).

I just realized how pathetically one-dimensional my tastes in games are!! :p

Dammit, I remember the good old days of text adventures.  Leather Goddess of Phobos, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Zork, and all the Infocom's greats.  Hell, I remember GEOS (Graphic Environmental Operating System) for the Commode 64.  That and Jiffy-DOS.  Back in my day...

Will this, "hey, hey, look at me everybody, I'm a BIG BOY!" nonsense never end?

Not the Elders!! *runs*

Hmm...my fav. games (in no particular order): Fallout, Grim Fandango, Freedom Force, Space Quest 4, Riven, Uru, Arcanum, The Longest Journey, and (even though I barely understood what to do at the time) Sim City 2000.

Good games:

Elite (the best game ever)

X-COM: UFO the enemy Unkown

Dungeon Master (First cRPG i ever played)

DM: Chaos Strikes Back

Civilization

Full Throttle

Monkey Island 1&2

Daggerfall

BG, BG:Tales of the Sword Coast, BGII

PS:T

Duke Nukem 3D

Wolfenstein 3D

FF III to VII (console)

Golden Sun & GS:the Lost Age (console)

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

The game's that I put the most time into are probably:

Wizard's Crown

Phantasy Series

Wizardry 1 and 5

Bard's Tale 1, 2, 3

Wasteland

Civilization 1

Colonization

King's Quest 1

Might and Magic 1 and 4

Mars Saga

Ultima 2, 3 and 4

Masters of Orion 1

Dungeon Master (Apple IIGS version)

Kief the Thief (think that's the spelling)

Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds (didn't continue after those)

X-Com and X-Com Terror from the Deep

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

Wizard's Crown

I've played that :)

Had to run it on an Apple Emu though :)

Probably the neatest "old game" I've ever played.

I wonder why SSI never made any sequels to it :) It even said in the manual that it was built around that kind of expansion as I recall.

Hmm... Good ol' days that would be stuff that is 10+ years old... that exludes all the BIS games :p

Games that have been the most costly in sleep, grades, lost work etc. would some of the following....

• Gridrunner (Llamasoft/Jeff Minter) - The very first computer game ever I bought.
  • Sword of Fargoal and Temple of Apshai (Epyx) - Sigh... The sheer number of hours spent dungeon crawling. Beat that Icewind Dale :)
  • Lords of Midnight and Doomdarks Revenge (Mike Singleton) - For me the ultimate computer games ever. I still play them on C64 emulators today. The only game I ever did bother to program a 16 bit version of for my Amiga 4000 :ph34r:
  • Summer Games (Epyx) - Killer of joysticks... I still suspect peripheral manufacturers of sponsoring the development of these types of games.
  • Nato Commander (Microprose) - Dunno how many nights were spent on this. the first real time with pause game I ever played, around 1984.
  • Monty Mole (Antony Crowther) - The silly tune still haunts me, when trying to figure out if a set of pipes are climbable... nevermind...
  • Ultima IV (Origin/Richard Garriot) - Needs little explanation. Second biggest time robber after the LoM/DDR games above.
  • International Soccer (Commodore) - My very first (and only) "console game". A cartridge game for the C64. Probably responsible for the death of a few joysticks too.
  • Zork I-III and Deadline (Infocom) - Doesn't really need a lot of explanation either.
  • Forbidden forest (Cosmi) - Forget about Resident Evil. This is the spookiest game ever made for homecomputers :ph34r:
  • Jumpman/Jumpman Jr. (Epyx) - The ultimate platform games. Did I mention that Epyx was one of the greatest game companies ever ?
  • Phantasie I-III (SSI) - I still remember taking some kind of perverse pleasure in killing Nikademus (Sp?)
  • Defender of The Crown (Cinemaware) - Less depth than I would wish in a "strategy" game, but the Whoa effect from the gfx and music just couldn't be ignored. Not to mention, for a bunch of pixels, the damsels, well... ehh... next!
  • Wings (Cinemaware) - So simple a flightsim, yet the combined package and campaign was awesome. Spent literally months playing through WWI
  • Elite (Acorn Soft/Ian Bell/David Braben (Sp?)) - They just don't make them like that anymore :)
  • X-Com (Microprose) - Needs no explanation...
  • Champions/Death knights of Krynn (SSI) - I loved the original three books by Weiss/Hickman, loved the first two games in the series too.

Probably 50-80 games worthy of honourable mention too, especially some racing and strategy games, but that might be a challenge for anybodys attention span :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Etou, orudiisu des ne.

X-wing and Tie Fighter

Fallout and Fallout 2

Dreamweb

Normality

Covert Action

Battle of Britain and Secret Weapons of Luftwaffe

One Must Fall

Civilization and Colonization

Master of Orion and Master of Orion 2

Dune

Dune 2

Wolfenstein 3d and Doom

Descent 2

Monkey Island

Prince of Persia

Day of the Tentacle

Commander Keen 4, and 5

Duke Nukem 1, 2 and 3d

System Shock

I probably forgot one or two...

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Good Old Games:

Panzer General Series

Steel Panthers Series

Baldur's Gate Saga

Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter

The old Larrys :-"

Heroes of Might and Magic Series (except Heroes IV)

Master of Orion II

Lords of the Realm II

Civilization

European Air War

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

while all my friends had a C64, I was stuck with a Radio Shack TRS-80.  Did anyone ever play "Dungeons of Daggorath"  (vintage 1982)?  I didn't think so, but if you did you know how awesome it was for the time

LOL

I totally forgot about that game!

A friend of mine had it and it rocked! :D

Oh and the old Tandy stuff where a cassette tape was your hard drive. :p"

Tsel :-

while all my friends had a C64, I was stuck with a Radio Shack TRS-80.  Did anyone ever play "Dungeons of Daggorath"  (vintage 1982)?  I didn't think so, but if you did you know how awesome it was for the time

LOL

I totally forgot about that game!

A friend of mine had it and it rocked! :D

Oh and the old Tandy stuff where a cassette tape was your hard drive. :-"

Tsel ;)

Looking back now that does seem weird, buying games on a cassette tapes :) . It was amazing what game programmers back then could do with so little resources to work with.

Some of those text adventure games were great - drawing maps as you went. Kids these days are spoiled with their fancy 'auto-maps' :o