ANOUNCEMENT!! KOTOR III Is On The Way!!!!!

TD, you are mixing up background themes and foreground story.  The over arcing theme and background of both KotOR 1 and KotOR 2 is as you state, but the actual story of the game is character driven by Revan and the Exile.

When the main players change, then the setting becomes the story thread. It's a matter of story continuity. The inter-character dramas in the games are showing to be episodic, with Revan being the center of the first episode, The Exile being the center of the second.

It's like a TV series with a rotating cast. You don't say the story is about the cast members who are only there for a single episode, you look to the actual continuing aspects of the show to define it's arching story. In the KOTOR series the only continuing aspect between the games is the republic, the jedi, and the threat of the sith.

i remember thinking hades was just here to flame these forums to the ground...that was months ago, now i know that he has been right all along about whatever he complains about and that we should all listen to him with respect and credibility. (except for the time he made the topic which was aimed at darths)

When the main players change, then the setting becomes the story thread.  It's a matter of story continuity. The inter-character dramas in the games are showing to be episodic, with Revan being the center of the first episode, The Exile being the center of the second.

It's like a TV series with a rotating cast.  You don't say the story is about the cast members who are only there for a single episode, you look to the actual continuing aspects of the show to define it's arching story.  In the KOTOR series the only continuing aspect between the games is the republic, the jedi, and the threat of the sith.

That is okay in a television ecause that is passive, while in a CRPG it is interactive. Each individual game is character driven because it is an interactive experience. You are deciding how the story plays out by the choices given to you. The background themes interact with the foreground story of the characters but it is the characters that drives the story forward and not the themes that the games have.

then how do you reconcile that with a game series that uses a continuing setting but focuses on a different character each installment? Unlike the FF series, there is a continuity to the KOTOR series so far without a continuence of the characters drama.

KOTOR 1 focuses on Revan's death and rebirth. Kotor 2 focuses on the Exile's loss of the force and his reclaimation of his former power. While KOTOR 2 may refer to the events of KOTOR 1, the characters - for the most part- are now reduced to brief cameos. They're dramas are not continued.

I really like this smiley but I never get to use it: :lol::lol::lol: hee....heehee....

Anyways, I'd have to agree with Hades_One. Though the overarching plot is that of the Republic's near collapse and the Sith invasion, KOTOR isn't really about that. The Sith and the Republic aren't faceless entities, but have people that represent what they are about. So, Malak represents the evil of the Sith, and is the villian. It be like a World War II film. The enemy is going to be the evil Nazi general, not an organization like the German Army as a whole. At least that's my take on it.

I really like this smiley but I never get to use it:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  hee....heehee....

Anyways, I'd have to agree with Hades_One.  Though the overarching plot is that of the Republic's near collapse and the Sith invasion, KOTOR isn't really about that. The Sith and the Republic aren't faceless entities, but have people that represent what they are about. So, Malak represents the evil of the Sith, and is the villian. It be like a World War II film. The enemy is going to be the evil Nazi general, not an organization like the German Army as a whole. At least that's my take on it.

Where that falls apart is the that Revan and the Exile can easily represent either a face of the Sith or a face of the Jedi.

Well, I wasn't really talking about Revan....  but then again, I think Revan and the Exile aren't supposed to represent either side.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  heee...heehee....heeheehee

Laughing like a stupid donkey fails to aid in your cause.

On that note, I must disagree with your analysis. The choices Revan and the Exile are allowed to make over the course of their journey, reperesents the quintessence of the Light/Dark Side.

manthing2.jpg

I think That it would be cool if thay bring back Revan as the main char.

Even give hime great starting powers that you then build on that as a starting point.

You may not have the same powers that you ended with but I think that because the way that we have all played the game will give us different powers that thay could come up with a set group of powers to begin the game with. (w00t)

I think That it would be cool if thay bring back Revan as the main char.

Yeah, that would be great. Take away one of the few RPG elements that the game still has. I guess you could add this option to pick dialogue options for you, too. And perhaps you could even throw in an AI script for the PC & friends in which you just press the 'kick butt' button and the AI takes over from there. That way you could even play the game while you're at school, or even sleeping.

Yeah, that would be great.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah, that would be great. Take away one of the few RPG elements that the game still has. I guess you could add this option to pick dialogue options for you, too. And perhaps you could even throw in an AI script for the PC & friends in which you just press the 'kick butt' button and the AI takes over from there. That way you could even play the game while you're at school, or even sleeping.

Yeah, that would be great.

I do belive that you could bring back revan without all of the "Kick butt" or "a button that the AI takes over form there." Foolishness!!! It could bring an end that would be a great way to finish the saga.

I do belive that you could bring back revan without all of the "Kick butt" or "a button that the AI takes over form there." Foolishness!!!  It could bring an end that would be a great way to finish the saga.

No, not really.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

uumm....no.

Revan is basically the one of the most powerful force users in the galaxy at the close of KOTOR. It hints at in KOTOR 2 that Revan became even more powerful.

So....yeah....there would be no rational way to let the player be Revan again without doing something drastic. Say like put them in the Unknown regions where everyone is an uber force user and then have them fight their way up from there. Then you have the gameplay issue of having new players coming into the game with a ton of force powers and skills that they don't have any idea how to effectively use.

It's a bad idea. Revan had his story, Exile had his story, and now it's time for someone else to have their story.

uumm....no.

Revan is basically the one of the most powerful force users in the galaxy at the close of KOTOR. It hints at in KOTOR 2 that Revan became even more powerful. 

So....yeah....there would be no rational way to let the player be Revan again without doing something drastic.  Say like put them in the Unknown regions where everyone is an uber force user and then have them fight their way up from there.  Then you have the gameplay issue of having new players coming into the game with a ton of force powers and skills that they don't have any idea how to effectively use.

It's a bad idea. Revan had his story, Exile had his story, and now it's time for someone else to have their story.

I Did not Know that it was hinted on in tsl that revan gets stronger in the force.

but like I said you could have him turn away from thejedi way.

without becoming a super Uber char.

I'm very skeptical about anything relating KotOR 3 just yet, after all KotOR 2 hasn't even gone gold yet for the PC and in the EGM interview recently posted Mike Gallo expressed there have been very little discussions about any sequels and that nothing had been finalized. Until any official announcements are made, I won't be getting any hopes up.

As for the cast of the third, I sincerely hope they bring back the original protagonists of the first two. Revan has to at least be a prominent figure in the third's storyline, if only as an npc but one that does plenty throughout the third game. Considering K2's ending, the Exile should be the returning protagonist in the third as his/her story was left in the air. Though like many have suggested I would love nothing more to be able to use both protagonists in the third game to wrap up the story as a trilogy. The issue of the uber-powerful level both achieved is tha main obstacle to continue to use them as PCs, however I would hate much more having to use yet another new PC going to look for the previous two yet again...like Hades said, that's really pathetic storytelling and very unoriginal.

Should there be a way to go around the level issue, perhaps then we can get a truly great ending for the KotOR storyline, because in my opinion once 3 is done they really should move on to a different era of the Old Republic away from Revan and Exile's timelines. But they need to finish this tale first, and a new PC will not do that for me. Revan had closure at the end of KotOR 1, but he was pulled back into the unresolved story of KotOR 2 as well as the Exile who is left also without resolution. Should the devs decide to make KotOR 3 with a new PC, in the very least they should make an expansion for K2 to finish promptly the Exile's tale.

My two cents.

Read it Everyone !!!! NOW!!!!!!!! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY  (w00t)

Read what it says everyone Its happening !!!!!!!!! Don't have any doubts Ok!!!!

You all should be pleased !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :p

I new it !!!!! I new It I told you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Have a KOTORific day!!!!

PEACE!!!!!!

:cool:  :)

Long live the Kotorians  :cool:  :lol:

are you absolutely certain youre 25 years old? :-"

Maybe it's dog years. :-"

My sentiments exactly. It's either a six year old girl, or a fully grown man who has lost the purpose in his life.

My opinions/facts.

yes it would just because that you have not thought through what it would or really could do to the saga is just short sighted on your part think about it!

man...un-thought out enthusiasm is so nice sometimes.

What level did you end KOTOR at? Then in KOTOR 2 they say that Revan took off past the outer rims to battle a threat there. Drawing from EU, there is a nearly uncrossable barrier at the edge of the galaxy, so Revan had to be pretty damn powerful to get past it.

Where do you go from here game mechanics wise? Does he start off with just the jedi powers that the average character ended with? Does he have a different generic set of jedi powers? How about the skill points that most players built up? Even if Revan totally took teh exile path and cut himself off from the force they would still have the skills they had worked so hard to learn.

Face it, there is no plausible gameplay way Revan could be the main character in KOTOR 3 without either A) being mindwiped....again. B) Suffering Amnesia C) being a character who...IS A CLONE OF REVAN!!

All of those suck. The idea of being Revan in KOTOR 3 sucks. I know change is rough, but buck up and start thinking of new types of main characters.

cheers

yes it would just because that you have not thought through what it would or really could do to the saga is just short sighted on your part think about it!

man...un-thought out enthusiasm is so nice sometimes.

What level did you end KOTOR at? Then in KOTOR 2 they say that Revan took off past the outer rims to battle a threat there. Drawing from EU, there is a nearly uncrossable barrier at the edge of the galaxy, so Revan had to be pretty damn powerful to get past it.

Where do you go from here game mechanics wise? Does he start off with just the jedi powers that the average character ended with? Does he have a different generic set of jedi powers? How about the skill points that most players built up? Even if Revan totally took teh exile path and cut himself off from the force they would still have the skills they had worked so hard to learn.

Face it, there is no plausible gameplay way Revan could be the main character in KOTOR 3 without either A) being mindwiped....again. B) Suffering Amnesia C) being a character who...IS A CLONE OF REVAN!!

All of those suck. The idea of being Revan in KOTOR 3 sucks. I know change is rough, but buck up and start thinking of new types of main characters.

cheers

I have no Problem that thay may not be able to do it I think that it would be a great Idea, I know that revan Probably wont be the main char. but I liked revans Different past. And I have Finished the game several times in all of the ways that Cand be done.

I still Think that revan should at least be in kotor3 perhaps as a npc.

And you can dissagree with me on this but I would like to see him back.

Even in Full power It would be cool :):):lol::-:-