Story or Gameplay?

I read a post by a developer, where he refuses to let gameplay continue after the ending, for the sake of the game's story. This brings me to a question, what is more important to you in the KotOR series? Story or gameplay?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. I read a post by a developer, where he refuses to let gameplay continue after the ending, for the sake of the game's story. This brings me to a question, what is more important to you in the KotOR series? Story or gameplay?

• Story
    • Gameplay

Story for me, no doubt. a game with good gameplay but little or no story is just plain booring.

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

If we're solely talking about KotOR, then i would choose 'story', since the gameplay has already been explained :lol:

Generally speaking though, i would prefer a game with mediocre gameplay and a very good story in favour of a game with a bad story and great gameplay. Since it should be the story (especially in the RPG genre) that keeps the gamer interested in continuing the game.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Depends heavily on the genre. In RPGs, story without a doubt. PS:T's gameplay is average, at best, but the storyline beats anything else out there.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

KOTOR was great cause it had a good gameplay system and a compelling story. In the case of The Sith Lords, the gameplay is really a carbon-copy of the original so gamers won't be expecting anything new there. So whats going to sell TSL is the story. Graphics, sound, and gameplay remain the same.

Again, if there is going to be anything that will make TSL a classic like KOTOR, its going to have to be the story. With that being said, the story is....going to have to be better then KOTOR's.

Gameplay...Think about it.

If you have fun, who cares what the story is, or if it doesn't have one.

If you have story without gameplay, it's like reading a book (which is good, but not why you're playing a videogame).

Gameplay...Think about it.

If you have fun, who cares what the story is, or if it doesn't have one.

If you have story without gameplay, it's like reading a book (which is good, but not why you're playing a videogame).

I wouldn't spend $50 for KOTOR 2 when I already own KOTOR 1 if the only draw was the gameplay. And I wouldn't have played KOTOR through 3 times for gameplay either. For me, it was exploring other elements of the story that drew me back to play through KOTOR multiple times...

For a really good game, you cant have one without the other.

Faith! ;)

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I agree with Sun Tzu.....you cannot really have one without the other.

Gameplay is the means by which you travel through the story, but without the story there is no reason to have any gameplay.

Gameplay tends to be a vague term anyways. But I wouldn't play a game with crappy gameplay even with a super sweet story, and vice versa. But if I would prefer decent gameplay with an excellent story than a decent story with fantastic gameplay.

For those who picked gameplay let me ask you a question. Answer it honestly now. For KOTOR, do you think that it would have been as great as it was if it had a sorry storyline?

Whether you know it or not, it was the story aspect that made KOTOR a great game. Ask the developers of Bioware and they'll say it. Ask the developers of Obisidian and they'll say it.

TSL is a RPG, and no matter how good the graphics and gameplay is, the game will suck if the story sucks. The RPG genre relies on the story aspect. Action Adventure, FPS and games like that, it is the gameplay that makes or breaks the game. With RPGs its the story that makes or breaks the game.

Look at Final Fantasy 7. Why is that considered a classic? Cause of its graphics? No! Cause of its gameplay? No, but it helped. It was the story that everyone remembered at liked.

So in the case of The Sith Lords, the story is the most important aspect considering that it is a RPG.

Good point, but answer this, would KOTOR have been as great with no gameplay? Also, I think the FF7 story was good, but FFVIII will live forever!!!!! Also, I thought FF7 was so great because it was the first of its time. FFVII was the virst 3D style good RPG with half-decent graphics. The story was good I guess, but I've seen better. No matter how good the story is, the game will suck without gameplay.