Love in KOTOR 2

Romances are lame, I have no idea why they are included in these games. A romance should only be implemented if it has drastic effects on the campaign and forces the player's hand in making choices s/he might not otherwise make, and have to compromise and negotiate, just like a real romance. The romances in games like KOTOR and BG2 are pathetic schoolboy fantasies and nothing more.

newlogo.gif

Leisure Suit Larry jumps to mind. But I would't claim it was the "originator". For current trends, I'd pin the blame on Bioware for BG2, and the rabid modding community always making romance NPCs.

newlogo.gif

Romances are lame, I have no idea why they are included in these games. A romance should only be implemented if it has drastic effects on the campaign and forces the player's hand in making choices s/he might not otherwise make, and have to compromise and negotiate, just like a real romance. The romances in games like KOTOR and BG2 are pathetic schoolboy fantasies and nothing more.

The "wedding" in FO2 was worse... much worse.

image002.gifLancer

I think romance can add to a RPG, if done correctly.

I don't think it would be improbable that within a mixed adventuring group of males and females that romances wouldn't sprout. Having romances are not only realistic but done correctly can add a lot of flavor to a game.

The important part of a romance though in an RPG is the actual "chase" itself. The chase could very well be connected to the plot or a major subplot in some manner providing instant motivation.

image002.gifLancer

Ooooh, I wish I could remember the name of that Infocom title. "Leather Goddess of Phobos" or something like that.

If you want a "sexy" game, go play that. "Next gen" gamers be warned, it's an advent/text-based type game (a la zork). No graphics for you, bub.

I wouldn't mind romances if they added more dialogue. I always wanted more conversations with my party. If this brings that in, I'd be a happy camper.

Fnord.

The Fallout 2 wedding was inconsequential and utterly inobstrusive to the game. As soon as you reach VC, if your spouse lived that long, you can sell them off. Over. Certainly you could chose to keep the NPC, but s/he is useless to you and will only get killed soon enough.

It's not like the KOTOR or BG2 romances that kept interrupting you at every inopportune moment.

Nothing like gearing up to slay a dragon and in the midst of buffing spells being cast, Jaheira needs to talk.

newlogo.gif