The All Things Political Topic

11 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well so far in his speech, not seeing much of a change with Trump.  I am utterly stunned.

:lol: "I will end every international crisis"

You’re laughing, but a Danish comedian once got elected on promises of more tailwind for bicyclists and free Nutella on the school kids lunch meals. He was shell shocked when he realised he had to spend the next few years in parliament. Not just as a faceless pm, but that one crucial vote needed in a hung parliament to get legislation through 😂

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

He always reminds me of

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/jd-vances-wife-usha-chilukuri-vance-describes-him-meat-potatoes-guy-who-cooks-indian-food-6130104

I didnt realize this but JD Vance is married to an Indian American who is Hindu

It doesnt seem to fit the profile and allegations  of Trump and the GOP being a racist, Christian fundamentalist party?

This type of diversity is good for the GOP 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Yes but no one is denying there arent racists in the US in both parties and amongst there voters, they just different types of racists

This type of drama is fairly common  on Codex where people are " outraged " because the so called " white " Republican party VP has an Indian wife

But this doesnt change the point I have made several times, the GOP is a party that is inclusive and multiracial  irrespective  of the bigotry of some of its members

Trump wouldnt have selected Vance if he was influenced by this type of response 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

44 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

But this doesnt change the point I have made several times, the GOP is a party that is inclusive and multiracial  irrespective  of the bigotry of some of its members

The only color they see is green. 🤑

• Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

44 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

@BruceVC your argument is basically a variation of "some of my best friends are black."

Some additional reading if you're interested. And TVTropes is usually pretty good time.

No thats not my point at all but I do find that funny :grin:

Vance is not saying " I have black friends"  which in itself is often misunderstood when white people say that  and it  becomes a meme even when its well meaning 

He doesnt need to say that because he has a wife who is Indian 

Im saying Vance being nominated as VP is an example of how you cant make a convincing argument that Trump is a racist or white supremacist. He had several other suitable candidates who are white and  married to white women and he could have selected them if hidden white supremacy was what he believed in . You can absolutely criticize Vance and Trump on many things but not the whole " they racist " 

And just for record real racists dont go around saying " I have black friends",  they really dont unless they  certain politicians or public figures and they feel they have to say it 

Its like Neo-Nazi dont go around saying " I like Jews. I have friends who are Jews " 

Its goes  against there fundamental ideological beliefs and bigotry 

• Confused 1

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Im saying Vance being nominated as VP is an example of how you cant make a convincing argument that Trump is a racist or white supremacist.

So some dude with a brown wife undoes his rhetoric in the past and association with people like Miller ?

For amusement, there's a wikipedia page of all things on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

I didn't check the discusison or edit pages, but they must be a hoot.

Edited by Malcador
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

that is as delusional as claiming racism no longer exist in usa since they elected obama at 08

But Im not saying racism doesnt exist in the USA and anyone who understands anything about the US wouldn't   think or say "  racism doesnt  exist  in the US because Obama was  elected "  

What part of  my post  do you think is delusional?  Can you be more  specific 

John Milton 

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Vance is not saying " I have black friends"  which in itself is often misunderstood when white people say that

I am sure it is misunderstood in the same way as saying "I am not racist, but <insert racist position here>." Everything before the but is just horse manure.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Surly Republicans can't be anti-gay because they crash Grindr and Lindsay Graham or George Santos got elected ?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Surly Republicans can't be anti-gay because they crash Grindr and Lindsay Graham or George Santos got elected ?

Dave Rubin also likes his friend Ben Shapiro ?

• Confused 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Dave Rubin also likes his friend Ben Shapiro ?

Let's not get too attached to the bit here, no one likes Ben Shapiro.

I'd like to say I haven't heard of Dave Rubin in a long time, but currently he's trying to launch a Twitter orginal series that's just ripping off a 20-year old Simpsons joke with very bad animation.

• Confused 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

19 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/jd-vances-wife-usha-chilukuri-vance-describes-him-meat-potatoes-guy-who-cooks-indian-food-6130104

I didnt realize this but JD Vance is married to an Indian American who is Hindu

It doesnt seem to fit the profile and allegations  of Trump and the GOP being a racist, Christian fundamentalist party?

This type of diversity is good for the GOP 

That does not mean anything. For example in Finland we have currently in government an anti-immigration, anti-EU, formerly pro Russian, traditional family values party, who had member in EU parliament that demanded that all immigrants regardless of their background needs to be deported. He himself is married to immigrant from south america. Party eventually kicked him out because he was too pro immigrant. In recent European parliament elections same party's member that got highest vote count is gay man who is married to immigrant from africa, which does not prevent him from advocating deportation of all immigrats and making gay marriage illegal.

So personal lives of the politicians don't tell anything about what kind policies they will try to enable

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

So according to BruceVC logic the GOP is also in favour of abortion because some republicans, or their daughters, or their wives or their mistresses have had abortions.

https://joycearthur.com/abortion/the-only-moral-abortion-is-my-abortion/

I mean who cares if the policies they actively support are openly against the LGBTQ population, the immigrant population, the population of colour? What matters is that they have a friend who once watched RuPaul's drag race.

• Thanks 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Tl;dr; they want *you* to do what they say, not what they do....

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pidesco said:

So according to BruceVC logic the GOP is also in favour of abortion because some republicans, or their daughters, or their wives or their mistresses have had abortions.

https://joycearthur.com/abortion/the-only-moral-abortion-is-my-abortion/

I mean who cares if the policies they actively support are openly against the LGBTQ population, the immigrant population, the population of colour? What matters is that they have a friend who once watched RuPaul's drag race.

No and again thats not same  the point as the issue about the GOP being racist

You cant  lump  things together in the same  group,  you need  to  separate issues  to see the nuance and complexity 

Being opposed to abortion, or different stages of when abortion should be allowed ,  is a global  debate and more a Conservative   view. But the debate about pro-choice  is not primarily about bigotry like racism or homophobia 

In South Africa  we  have many   people opposed  to abortion  including many black people and it has nothing to do with racism 

Dont conflate things.  Separate peoples views and policies   and then we can have a constructive debate on these topics to understand different positions and what different GOP politicians believe  and espouse but more importantly what citizens think

For example the suggestion  that  Republican voters  are  all pro-life  is simply not true, several  GOP states that include Montana,  Kentucky and Kansas   voted on  different degrees of abortion rights  and pro-choice won 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/abortion-rights-won-every-election-roe-v-wade-overturned-rcna99031

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

It's like the weirdest bit someone has ever committed to.

• Haha 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You can also say the Republicans are also very pro-immigrant/immigration, because both candidates on their presidential ticket married immigrants.

We can do this all day, where the personal identities and actions of individuals are given equal, or greater, weight to the policies advocated/enacted by the party/movement.....which is really dumb. No one is really fooled by it and it only seems to be entertained by the galaxy brained "centrists" desperate for some deniability for going along with repulsive ****.

Though I guess going by that line of logic we can conclude that BLM/CRT/Wokeness can't be "anti-white", because of Shaun King. So I assume we'll be hearing nothing more about that from here on out.

These policies are a way of consolidating more power and wealth through fear. It doesn't really matter if they are personally racist or intolerant, they are simply using it as a means to an end. Machiavelli would be impressed. 

But hey, they are also old AF, so this too shall pass.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.