Random video game news... Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!

"Founder | CEO | Chief Creative Officer at Hinterland " Ooof, Hinterland, who made The Long Dark? They are the last to throw stones on that theme.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Posted (edited)

Don't click that link

Sus as ****

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

23 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Don't click that link

Sus as ****

Bad link is gone... sad story, it was actually a very old account. Looks like someone else got access to it.

• Thanks 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Bad link is gone... sad story, it was actually a very old account. Looks like someone else got access to it.

I noticed the same, it's unfortunate :(

Thanks for the swift action

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Browsing the links at the Piranha Bytes closure I have found one more sad news, which I have completely missed in the past (march 2024). Embracer sold Gearbox to Take Two. With Homeworld and Duke Nukem as well :( Which means, we will probably never see this franchises again, or completely watered down with billions of microtransactions...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/take-two-to-acquire-gearbox-from-embracer-for-460-million

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It sounds like the leads from Elex have moved on and created their own studio, so hopefully we will get some more games from them. I'm not super attached to the worlds of Risen or Elex, but I thought they were solid RPG's with good storytelling and decent mechanics. I can see them using their talents on a new setting pretty easily. I thought there was already a Gothic remake in the works, but perhaps that is shelved. Gothic always seemed more like an elaborate tech demo to me.

33 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

It sounds like the leads from Elex have moved on and created their own studio, so hopefully we will get some more games from them. I'm not super attached to the worlds of Risen or Elex, but I thought they were solid RPG's with good storytelling and decent mechanics. I can see them using their talents on a new setting pretty easily. I thought there was already a Gothic remake in the works, but perhaps that is shelved. Gothic always seemed more like an elaborate tech demo to me.

From what I’ve read, the Gothic Remake was really bad. The question is, was it bad due to the PB, or Embracer? But it might give us few hints, why they have been closed. 

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

That Gothic 1 Remake demo was so incredibly bad. If you know about the Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod, the changes in the G1 remake felt like it got inspired by that.

Wouldn't hold my breath about that new studio either. From what I've read the past few days, those people were pretty much the reason why later PB titles kinda sucked. 😄 No clue how much truth is in that ofc, but well... their latest titles weren't that great.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Gothic remake was not done by PB but by 'Alkimia Interactive'. And to paraphrase the great philosopher Ron Paul: it's still happening (so far as we know and though many may wish it wasn't).

Indeed, Embracer tried to sell/ spin off PB along with Risen and Elex, but not Gothic.

13 hours ago, Gorth said:

Damn, they saw what I said about new accounts needing to automatically be suspected in this new age of AI-generated spam and made the perfect counterplay. They're evolving!

• Haha 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Blizzard Acquisiton fallout continues. Game Pass price hike arrives.

PC gamers still get a very good deal with PC Game Pass being increased from $9.99 to $11.99. 

Console players will have a nasty pupil to swallow as XBOX game pass gets split into multiple tiers: 

XBOX Game Pass standard will cost $14.99 but will not include day one releases. Those will come with XBOX Game Pass Ultimate only, that will now cost $19.99 per month. 

CoD addition to the game pass makes more sense now. 

https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/9/24195312/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-price-increase-standard-subscription

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

PC gamers still get a very good deal with PC Game Pass being increased from $9.99 to $11.99. 

Console players will have a nasty pupil to swallow as XBOX game pass gets split into multiple tiers: 

XBOX Game Pass standard will cost $14.99 but will not include day one releases. Those will come with XBOX Game Pass Ultimate only, that will now cost $19.99 per month. 

https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/9/24195312/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-price-increase-standard-subscription

Shocking. Shocking I tell you! Who could have thunkd?

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

On 7/10/2024 at 5:51 PM, Wormerine said:

I was going to invest in  PC game pass because of the good deals and just the Bethesda games are  worth the monthly cost but apparently you cant use script extenders  so that means  you cant mod effectively 

So there is no point if I cant mod Bethesda games 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This seems more my current speed than Pacific Drive. 😛
It's by the same people who did Above Snakes. So I expect it to be nothing special but fun, fairly simple and relaxing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Damnit, for a while now I have that idea of making a chill solarpunk style game and now suddenly all of those titles release which kinda dip into exactly the same atmosphere...

14 hours ago, BruceVC said:

just the Bethesda games are  worth the monthly cost but apparently you cant use script extenders  so that means  you cant mod effectively 

So there is no point if I cant mod Bethesda games 

That’s correct as far as I know. I think some modding is possible, at least for selected titles, but if you like to mod games extensively than GamePass isn’t a great choice.

So to recap the Gamepass discussion:

PC gamers get paid $11.99 a month, an increase of $2, to play Bethesda games unmodded?

At the same time console gamers get paid $14.99 or $19.99 if they play the games unmodded at launch?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

How does gamepass work? You can't install mods on those games?

24 minutes ago, Lexx said:

How does gamepass work? You can't install mods on those games?

Very much depends on the game. There's a lot of outdated information because back in the day, MS Store titles were distributed as UWP Apps which pretty much meant no modding at all. Those days are gone and the games are just standard Win32 apps now and most can be modded just fine, but the reputation persists.

Bethesda games are a bit of an outlier because of their reliance on the third-party script extenders for the more complex mods, most famously SKSE for Skyrim, alongside F4SE for Fallout 4 and now SFSE for Starfield. This is a dependency for many mods, so mods that require it won't work.

There's currently no official way to load them with MS Store versions of the games, but the good news is that there is some progress by third-parties who have now got it working (technical details here). Note that I've no knowledge of any bugs or limitations it may have as I haven't played Starfield since launch day and thus never actually tried modding it - I got a total of around 3 hours in before quitting of boredom. Anyway, the original authors of it have no interest in enabling MS Store compatibility and the devs of this side-project don't have the rights to distribute the SFSE code, hence the oddness of their release being a hex mod for the official SFSE release. Would be nice if they could come to an agreement someday to make it as easy as installing it on the Steam/GOG version.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Based on what I've read/seen people comment on, there are two main reasons for Gamepass:

---you would buy/play a lot of games per year vs. only a few/several at most, and generally don't care about replaying them (once and done) or that they might get yanked off the available list in a few/several months (thus the monthly would still end up cheaper)
---you want to be able to try any new games out for "cheap" to first decide if you care enough to fully buy it
---you're console only anyway and/or need the MP/online functions so must pay on some level anyway (?). Me, I never paid/signed up for the PS sub that gives you online access stuff. I don't need it, don't care.

I still have zero interest in Gamepass, even with MS doing its best to acquire a lot of franchises. "Owning" a game may be ever more of a precarious illusion in these days of non-physical media, but I still like what illusion there is left.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

6 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Based on what I've read/seen people comment on, there are two main reasons for Gamepass:

I have signed up for Gamepass when Outer Worlds came out and remain a subscriber until recently. 

It is great offer if one is interested in many titles. Play at least one game per month and you are getting a whole lot for each of your bucks. 

Honestly, my favourite part was trying those small, indie games that I would be hesitant to buy outright. Or trying out those games that I was curious about (like Starfield) but knew I won’t spend with them more than a couple of hours.

But yeah, it is not a substitute for buying a game that I am very much into.