Random video game news... Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!

Posted (edited)

Having played the North American beta last month I can confirm that it pulled out all the stops for Wuxia tropes (of course a heaping helping of Qinggong, but also martial arts manuals, Qi cultivation, and references to the Jianghu), of which I heartily approve. I also suspect the inclusion of golden swallows in this trailer are a reference to Cheng Pei Pei's character in <<Come Drink With Me>>.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/summery-soulslike-enotria-the-last-song-is-delayed-again-but-theres-an-8-hour-demo-coming-soon

Enotria's now officially arriving on the 19th of September on Steam, the Epic Games Store, and Xbox.

[...]

As for Enotria's demo, that'll arrive on May 22nd on PC. It'll be around 8-hours long and start you off in "Quinta, the City of Actors", where you'll almost certainly parry lots of dribbly theatre kids who give off an irksome vibe. You'll do that with four weapon classes, six masks, 20 spells and 30 perks. Masks, by the way, are ways of equipping different attack styles and building loadouts. There's no word on whether demo progress will carry into the full game, which suggests that it won't be the case.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/redfall-will-receive-one-final-update-after-all-including-an-offline-mode

Redfall is getting a final update which will add an offline mode and singleplayer pausing, among other changes. The news was announced via the Redfall account on X, which also thanked players for their "supportive messages" in light of developer Arkane Austin's imminent closure by Microsoft.

• Like 1

The next goose/goat game?  :shifty:
...I don't think I'd have interest in it myself (never tried goose/goat game either), but the trailer made me giggle.

• Haha 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

14 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Great news, nice for Poland and good news about Larians financial status and future growth 🥂

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

22 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Maybe they're trying to poach talent from CD Projekt. And if that is the case I would be rather angry about it, because I'd much, MUCH rather have CD Projekt's games than Larian's games.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Story trailer. No clue what the story is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

https://wccftech.com/dragon-age-dreadwolf-has-everyone-at-bioware-really-happy-with-how-it-turned-out/

It's the #1 game in my Steam wishlist, so I want it to be good <fingers crossed>.

Don't have much else in the way of what I want: a party-based fantasy RPG that is NOT turn-based combat.

That's a pretty low bar. I think they can fulfill that. 😄 

It seems they're chasing another trend though (did they ever do different?): Combat similar to Gods Of War this time 'round. Personally I'm super glad I don't have to rely on Bioware, Bethesda or tiny indies anymore exclusively. Best thing that has happened in the past ten industry years. Well that, and Immersive Sims having another run (though it's come to an end with Deus Ex put on hiatus again, the Thief reboot misfiring from the go -- and Arkane's future in limbo).

And now for something completely different: Gonna go watch Furiosa. WHAT A DAY WHAT A LOVELY DAY. 😄 

Edited by Sven_
  • Thanks 1

W40K Mechanicus II has been announced. No GOG for now :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On 5/20/2024 at 4:40 PM, Wormerine said:

I am happy to see game developers having reliable employment. I never liked CDPR games, which seemed only to worsen since TW1, so hopefully, there will be no similarities. Larian games might have issues, but they are improving in some aspects.

16 hours ago, kanisatha said:

https://wccftech.com/dragon-age-dreadwolf-has-everyone-at-bioware-really-happy-with-how-it-turned-out/

It's the #1 game in my Steam wishlist, so I want it to be good <fingers crossed>.

Don't have much else in the way of what I want: a party-based fantasy RPG that is NOT turn-based combat.

As the meme goes, "Stupid sexy Bioware". There is a very good chance that despite the DRM and rather poor system requirements (considering that it is an AAA, the graphics might be a priority), I will purchase it near the release date.

• Gasp! 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 2:59 PM, kanisatha said:

Maybe they're trying to poach talent from CD Projekt. And if that is the case I would be rather angry about it, because I'd much, MUCH rather have CD Projekt's games than Larian's games.

They might have been looking for a replacement of St. Petersburgh Larian, which they shut down when the Russian kerfuffle started. Warsaw sounds like a decent place for a studio on a budget with a lot of talent to draw from, and it is close enough within the time zone to support their 24h development cycle. ex-CD Project folks are an obvious titles, but there are a lot of polish devs and would-be-devs out there. It also seems like CDPR folks are more than happy to leave on their own, considering the ammount of "by ex-CDPR devs" attacked to indie projects, so I wouldn't worry too much. If anything, big budget RPG competition, might made CDPR care a bit more about their employees.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Thanks 2

On 5/21/2024 at 10:16 PM, Lexx said:

Story trailer. No clue what the story is.

No, but some really interesting tidbits. Probably, just like the original trailers it will make sense after beating the expansion. I do like the "vibes over plot" approach of FromSoftware marketing.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I read somewhere that it's turned more in the Mass Effect direction, where you mostly control the main character and the party members don't contribute as much.

Can't remember where I read it, so no idea how true.

EDIT: Oh, it was mentioned in that article too, guess I didn't imagine it.

Edited by MrBrown
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

That sounds to me about as likely as Microsoft acquiring Nintendo. 

Probably more comparable to acquiring Activision/Blizzard?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

12 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Yeah, I doubt it highly as well. But if I post every rumor, then I can go "I said so" when one of them comes true.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

18 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Nintendo's better off than either Sony or Microsoft's gaming division 'cause unlike the two 'big boys', Nintendo stays in their lane and doesn't spend ungodly amounts of money on photorealistic graphs.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2024 at 3:23 PM, kanisatha said:

I  will  definitely be playing this, I enjoyed DA:I and I thought some  of the mechanics like the War Table was something different and fun 

It  wont be a "day 1 purchase " which is fine. Do we have any information about Romance options?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I  will  definitely be playing this, I enjoyed DA:I and I thought some  of the mechanics like the War Table was something different and fun 

It  wont be a "day 1 purchase " which is fine. Do we have any information about Romance options?

It's a Bioware game, so aren't romance options mandatory? I would expect they'd be just like in the previous games, and especially so since this game has been rebuilt as a more tightly narrative-driven game.

• Like 2

Bioware has a pretty high hurdle now to overcome. Trying to beat Larian's Bear "romance" will be definitely challenging 🙈

• Haha 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours